Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds sign 18-year-old LHP from Mexico

Reds sign 18-year-old LHP from Mexico

Sometimes you just stumble onto this things, this happened on Thursday.

https://www.saraperos.com.mx/Noticias/98/

"We really liked the talent the boy showed in the Mexican League, the projection that he has is a pitcher that has great qualities, a fastball that at his young age goes from 89 to 94 miles, with two very interesting secondary pitches, the curve and the change."

"It is not easy to find a boy at that age who already has that kind of secondar stuffy. His fasetball with work is going to progress more, his character on the hill and the presence he has, has been striving to work on his physique and is paying off "said Alex Ahumada, Cincinnati Reds scout.
    Not much in the way of numbers to give besides that (as you can probably tell) he's a big boy at 6'3, 240 pounds. He gave up 5 runs in 6 innings for the Saraperos de Saltillo this year, who play at the Triple A level.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=lopez-001mis
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

BillDoran (06-17-2019),Edd Roush (06-17-2019),Gallen5862 (06-17-2019),lollipopcurve (06-17-2019),mace (06-17-2019),Mitri (06-17-2019),NC Reds (06-17-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign 18-year-old LHP from Mexico

Any young lefty with a good arm is worth taking a shot on. He's almost 12 years younger than the average age in that league lol.

I see he's on the Fernando Valenzuela fitness regimen.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-17-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Just going to add to this, Misael is the 31st and final signing of the Reds 2018-2019 International Signing Period.

In addition, Misael's 18 year old cousin Jefferson (his father's brother's son) signed with the Reds last month.

7. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-18-2019)

Signing an 18 year old LHP pitching at the AAA equivalent is fantastic. It's fantastic even if it does not work out. I cannot imagine he gets assigned to Louisville though. I'd probably put him in either Billings or Greeneville.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Signing an 18 year old LHP pitching at the AAA equivalent is fantastic. It's fantastic even if it does not work out. I cannot imagine he gets assigned to Louisville though. I'd probably put him in either Billings or Greeneville.
    nothing but upside here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

I'd start him in Arizona.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I'm not at all convinced that this Mexican league is AAA equivalent but I am glad they signed him

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not at all convinced that this Mexican league is AAA equivalent but I am glad they signed him
    MILB.com includes the Mexican League on their AAA scoreboard, but yeah, not sure I buy that either.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I see he's on the Fernando Valenzuela fitness regimen.
    If he throws like Valenzuela, more power to him.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-20-2019),Old school 1983 (06-19-2019)

It was not very respectful for the Reds' scout to refer to him as "the boy".

well "The Kid" is trademarked so....
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

17. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bottom_feeder View Post
    It was not very respectful for the Reds' scout to refer to him as "the boy".
    Can't tell if this sarcasm but it's translated from Spanish, he called him 'muchacho'.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?