Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: 6/19/19 - Reds vs. Astros

Re: 6/19/19 - Reds vs. Astros

Winner Winner chicken dinner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yes it was and Thom is a terrible announcer. Peraza could have been easily thrown out at home if the LF had made a decent throw. Thom is always getting ahead and more often than not looking foolish.

That was quite a win! I watch the bottom of the 9th on MLBTV last night. It was great the two young guys got the key hits to tie and win the game! Three one run wins against a good team. This team is showing some toughness and resiliency.
    Mahle is coming along very nicely. I think he is on the same kind of trajectory that Castillo was on last year. Mahle is learning to pitch to situations and is adjusting very nicely. I think he is going to be a very good middle of the rotation starter. Good to see Bell leave him the game. These young starters will not grow if you don't let them stay in and work through situations.
    On to Milwaukee with good momentum. It would be nice to take 3 of 4 in beer town.
    As I recall Thom and Chris mentioned that Peraza could have been had with a good throw. That was the tying run. Senzel scored easily. Thom was right to say Reds win right away

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As I recall Thom and Chris mentioned that Peraza could have been had with a good throw. That was the tying run. Senzel scored easily. Thom was right to say Reds win right away
    Have you re-watched it? I wouldn't say Senzel scored "easily." There was a reasonable chance that he could have been thrown out at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes I know that was the tying run. Thom was saying as soon as the ball was hit "Tie ball game!" or something to that effect. They only said that a good throw would have gotten him after the play was over. Thom broke rule number one of broadcasting, never anticipate a play. He does it all the time and looks and sounds foolish everytime.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Have you re-watched it? I wouldn't say Senzel scored "easily." There was a reasonable chance that he could have been thrown out at home.
    A good throw and it would have been close at the plate. That said, I didn't mind the call from TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    This is the first time Houston has been swept on the road since September 2017.

The Reds now stand 12-15 in one run games.

The Padres just beat the Brewers, the Reds are now just 5 games out of first place.
    I haven't checked the standing in a bit, shocked they are that close.

I dunno about you guys, but I CANNOT stop watching the video of Winker's game winning hit! The sheer joy from the team making the mad dash on the field and Winker just egging them on was the best game ending celebration I've seen from these guys in years. I'd say a good chunk (if not all of the team) was out there and after analyzing it like the Zapruder film from multiple angles here's what I loved about it:

- Winker's hit (of course!)
    - Suarez motioning to Senzel to slide away from the throw
    - Senzel looking to hi-five Suarez, who is making a mad dash for Winker
    - Winker goading everyone on to come and get him
    - Puig beating everyone to Winker, who has ahold of Winker's shirt and tears it open (the real slow-mo shows a button flying off the shirt)
    - Shot of what looks to be nine guys (including Suarez) also doing the mad dash for Winker (I see Roark, Dietrich, Peraza, Votto, Castillo, Bowman, Farmer, Suarez, and one unknown)
    - Shot from another angle (on the Marty call) after Senzel scores... you see Iglesias looking to high five Senzel while running to Winker
    - Shot of Casali and Senzel bumping into each other with the former giving the latter an unintentional shove
    -Dietrich's gold chain flapping during the run up to Winker (see slow-mo; at one point it lands on his nose!)
    - Farmer and Roark with a friendly shove of Winker
    - Last shot I show as many as fifteen players on the field, with Ervin and a couple of others (likely pitchers?) with warmup shirts on arriving late

If the sweep and that celebration doesn't get you fired up, I don't know what will!

10. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-20-2019)

Absolutely! If you're a Reds fan at all, yesterday's heroics and post-game jubilation is stuff you can't get enough of. And Jesse Winker, more than any other Reds player, is a real treat to watch with his unbridled joy. He's like a little kid out there, not afraid to just let loose and get goofy. Go on with your bad self, Jesse! You're probably the most fun guy on what's becoming a very fun team.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Yes, I re-watched it last night. He scored easily. Winker's ball bounced many times before getting to the RF in RC field. Senzel's hit was a line drive on hopper to the left fielder. I knew as soon as Winker's ball cleared the INF that Senzel would score. Nice that we had two of our fastest runners on in the 9th.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 06-20-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yes I know that was the tying run. Thom was saying as soon as the ball was hit "Tie ball game!" or something to that effect. They only said that a good throw would have gotten him after the play was over. Thom broke rule number one of broadcasting, never anticipate a play. He does it all the time and looks and sounds foolish everytime.
    He said "one hit away from a tie game...and there it is by Senzel! Here comes the runner! Here comes the throw to the plate! Tie game!"

About 5:45 min mark...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9p2SGVcho

I find absolutely no problem with that call. He was absolutely correct that the Reds were one hit away from a tie game. He was correct in saying there it is. And he didn't say tie game till Peraza crossed home plate.

Seriously, what's the problem with that?

I don’t approve of getting in a habit of it, but some announcers can come off real slick when anticipating a play. Joe Buck sounds pretty smooth when doing so, but he does mess up every now and then.

But Thom takes it to a whole new level. His anticipation calls are usually clunky (see Winker’s hit) and when he does err he goes overboard trying to explain himself (you can tell he’s embarrassed).

15. Likes:

NebraskaRed (06-20-2019),Tom Servo (06-20-2019)

Turn Off Ads?