Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hope Is A Good Thing!

Re: Hope Is A Good Thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    You do know it’s possible for the Reds to play better than they did last year don’t you?
    The point was they aren't yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I could be wrong but isn't their record better this year than it was at this point last year
    Crazy Reds Fan

4. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-22-2019),Griffey012 (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    I could be wrong but isn't their record better this year than it was at this point last year
    I don't understand what the numbers have to do with it?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

“Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.”
    ― J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

and finally..

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”
    ― Epicurus
    Last edited by mamell; 06-23-2019 at 04:48 AM.

7. Likes:

blumj (06-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Yes they are. Come on.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Yes they are. Come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Until they are 21-9 in a 30 game stretch his comment doesn't hold water. At no point was I referencing the 2018 Reds 162 game record.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 06-23-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Ah! So you took up analytics and the "light came on" huh? So now you are "enlightened", elevated over the "naive", and know how this is all going to end. Sounds more like ego then analytics. Because if you haven't noticed, this forum is filled with fans into analytics. And they also understand that while analytics gives you data to help you better understand, see trends, form projections, there is no certainty in outcome. You're just in a position to make a better, more educated guess.

You're obviously ignoring analytics here then.

Billy Hamilton .... .244 BA .298 OB% .329 SLG .627 OPS
    Jose Iglesias ... .272 BA .316 OB% .369 SLG .685 OPS

Iglesias has hit .300 twice in his career. Was an All-Star in '15, and maybe this year too.

Hamilton is currently putting up a slash line of ... .225 .303 .279 .582 while Iglesias' is ... .291 .332 .423 .755

Now if you want to say Iglesias is playing slightly over his head, may regress, that's fine ... Billy Hamilton can't regress because he's never progressed (LOL).

People "kill" Thom simply because he's Thom, who likes to hear himself talk. The big reason why so many like Iglesias is simply the job he has been doing for us overall, both offensively and defensively. Again, look at the numbers.
    I have been an analytics guy since the 80s.
    And the difference between Hamiltons offense which includes baserunning is negligible.
    No way Iglesias is an allstar this year he is the 21st best ss this season even with his better hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I have been an analytics guy since the 80s.
    And the difference between Hamiltons offense which includes baserunning is negligible.
    No way Iglesias is an allstar this year he is the 21st best ss this season even with his better hitting.
    If you've been an "analytics" guy since the 80's, which is 30+ years, then when are you going to start showing the analytics to back up your positions? Every analytics member on here usually does make that effort. Not seeing it from you. Just the claim you are. You throw out positions and expect everyone to simply accept it as fact, no argument. Even an analytics "novice" like me can blow you out of the water.

So until you do - I'm not wasting my time with you.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-24-2019 at 04:35 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

We're up to 15 in the latest Power Rankings...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/pag...e-dodgers-no-1

Somehow the Reds have managed to find their way back into last place.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I "hope" the Reds start winning some more damn games again.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

fondfoat (06-27-2019),Ron Madden (06-27-2019)

I "hope" they are already working the phones to unload half the roster. Probably should wait till after the break to pull the trigger, but I hope they're looking for pieces to help next year.

18. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-27-2019)

"Hope" was fun last weekend.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

20. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    "Hope" was fun last weekend.
    Hope is a cruel mistress sometimes.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

Things will pick up with all the home games upcoming, they usually score more runs at home. They still are likely to emerge out of the 90 loss abyss, so that's a positive. Reds are headed in the right direction, which would have been hard to say in 2015-18. So there is hope.

Turn Off Ads?