Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hope Is A Good Thing!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hope Is A Good Thing!

They are still four games under .500, but thanks to this streak and some other circumstances, they have a real shot to get into contention here very soon.
    Now, onto the circumstances I mentioned above:
    The Cubs -- who were in first place on May 22 -- have lost 15 of their last 26 games in the aforementioned time span.

The Brewers haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire, either. They just went 2-6 on a road trip after dropping Wednesday's matinee in San Diego. In fact, they're only a .500 (33-33) team since starting 7-1. One of those samples is a lot bigger than the other.

The Cardinals were 20-10 at one point, but they were 9-18 in May and sit in third place.

To be clear, a big move in the standings would require the Reds to beat teams that have been better than them to this point, but they just swept the Astros (who are better than both the Brewers and Cubs).
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...ontention/amp/

I’ll be accused of Pumping Sunshine but I don’t care.
    I recommend you read this article because hope is truly a good thing.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-20-2019 at 12:34 AM.

2. Likes:

Alabama (06-20-2019),alwaysawarrior (06-20-2019),bagz (06-20-2019),blumj (06-20-2019),Bob Borkowski (06-20-2019),fondfoat (06-20-2019),goreds2 (06-20-2019),Griffey012 (06-20-2019),HokieRed (06-20-2019),jimbo (06-20-2019),Kilgore_Trout (06-20-2019),Kingspoint (06-20-2019),MR X (06-20-2019),NebraskaRed (06-20-2019),OC_Red (06-22-2019),RiverRat13 (06-20-2019),Roy Tucker (06-21-2019),Shoeless Jeff (06-20-2019),Stingray (06-20-2019),The Operator (06-20-2019)

Re: Hope Is A Good Thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

They just swept one of the better teams in baseball. I think that's more that cause for hope. It's cause for optimism.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

4. Likes:

bagz (06-20-2019),Griffey012 (06-20-2019),HokieRed (06-20-2019),Kingspoint (06-20-2019),Ron Madden (06-20-2019)

Don't be concerned about pumping sunshine. Baseball is the greatest game ever. Yes it will eventually go away...what doesn't?...we enjoy it while we may!

6. Likes:

bagz (06-20-2019),dfs (06-20-2019),fondfoat (06-20-2019),Ron Madden (06-20-2019),Roy Tucker (06-21-2019)

There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic. Reds just swept a top team. Scooter will join the team soon with Wood to follow. No one team is running away with the division. Anything is possible. Loved seeing the Reds celebrate after that dramatic win. It's a Great Confidence Booster.
    The Stop And Chat

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-20-2019)

Do the math...We're just .76 percentage points behind the Cubs now. Feel free to correct my lack of mathematical prowess at any point here, but it's still pretty good considering where we might have been just one week ago.. Just in case you don't feel like looking it up the Cubs sit at .548 and we sit at .472.. In the grand scheme of things that's pretty darn close to first place.
    ...and I was sooooo close to cancelling my MLB.tv subscription not long ago..and I still can't tell you why I subscribed back on opening day. I guess I thought I had more money than brains which has never been the case.. On the other hand..I usually have at least a nickle to my name..LOL
    Last edited by mamell; 06-20-2019 at 07:47 AM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

Chip R (06-20-2019),Kingspoint (06-20-2019),Ron Madden (06-20-2019)

The Reds are tied for 1st in the NL for runs allowed.

Bob was right. They got the pitching.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-20-2019),Ron Madden (06-20-2019)

I love our odds against Milwaukee tonight. Nelson has been clobbered his 2 starts by SF and Miami with a 10.xx ERA in 7 innings. It's no guarantee, but if I had to pick my opponent right now he'd be it.. None of their starters have been doing well of late. The only ERA against ours currently listed with a lower ERA is Woodruff v Disco soooooo..... I like our odds kiddies..
    Last edited by mamell; 06-20-2019 at 02:01 PM.

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-20-2019),Old school 1983 (06-20-2019),Ron Madden (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    I love our odds against Milwaukee tonight. Nelson has been clobbered his 2 starts by SF and Miami with a 10.xx ERA in 7 innings. It's no guarantee, but if I had to pick my opponent right now he'd be it.. None of their starters have been doing well of late. The only ERA against ours currently listed with a lower ERA is Woodruff v Disco soooooo..... I like our odds kiddies..
    A lot easier to win a series when you win the first game. I love that we are playing a Division foe immediately after this Houston series that generated an uptick in confidence.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-20-2019)

A 3-3 road trip keeps them in contention before the next homestand - hopefully, they'll do better than that.

The Reds have talent - this really seems to be a lot like 2009 but in this strange world we now live in, anything is possible for this year.
    Where we gonna go?

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-20-2019)

According to Emily Dickinson, Hope is a thing with feathers.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
    That perches in the soul -
    And sings the tune without the words -
    And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
    And sore must be the storm -
    That could abash the little Bird
    That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
    And on the strangest Sea -
    Yet - never - in Extremity,
    It asked a crumb - of me.

And I say keep being hopeful and optimistic. I have no idea why anyone of us would keep watching game after game if we weren't hopeful and optimistic.

21. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-20-2019),Ron Madden (06-20-2019),Roy Tucker (06-21-2019)

I believe I am the accuser you referenced....and for good reason. Howevah, I am hopeful as well. This division is so compact we were able to stay close and are now within striking distance after the awful start.
    Pitching has held up and some guys bats are starting to come around. But it’s mainly the manner in which we have won the last few games that has me pumped. Inspirational stuff from young guys who should now have some confidence.

I really don’t expect the Reds to sweep the Brewers but it would be awesome if they win this series.

It's what sucks about Alzheimer's.

All hope is based on perspective and Alzheimer's removes all perspective.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I am cautiously optimistic. I all well remember whAt a cruel joke it was that stretch before the break last year.

Turn Off Ads?