Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hope Is A Good Thing!

Re: Hope Is A Good Thing!

The point is the past few years were downright depressing and utterly hopeless.

When this season started I finally felt a glimmer of hope.
    That hope has grown as the season has gone along, I’m now optimistic that we can not only finish with a winning record but we can compete with any club in our division.

Hope Is A Good Thing!

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-21-2019),ochoa30 (06-21-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Just glad they stayed positive and avoided a potential sell off too early.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-21-2019)

We’re only 10 days away from July and we can still think about playoffs and not be totally ridiculous. There is a reason to watch Reds baseball besides a reason to drink beer. I’ll take that any day.

Happy Solstice!!!
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-21-2019),Kingspoint (06-21-2019),OGB (06-22-2019),Revering4Blue (06-22-2019),Ron Madden (06-21-2019)

Live in hope, die in despair.

I am thankful the Reds made some moves to be more respectable this season. They are a lot more enjoyable to watch. However, they are still rebuilding. The Reds should try to make at least one move in July that will help them long term, even if it costs them some games this season.

With Wood possibly coming off the DL, and Sims in the organization, they can trade a starting pitcher (even Castillo) if it helps them long term. They can trade off some bullpen talent. They can trade off a guy playing out of position for the right price (even Senzel/Winker).. They can trade off Peraza or Deitrich or Scooter if someone wants them.. This year, they have pieces that a contender can use, I hope they don't squander the opportunity to help the team long term for the sake of false hope of the wild card.

I am not saying they need a fire sale, but one strategic rebuild trade is reasonable to ask for. More than one would be welcome, but I am keeping expectations low.

Over the past week the Reds playoff odds (fangraphs) have gone from 3.2% to 13.3%.

Fighting to get back to .500, the Reds haven't been 2 games under that mark since they were 1-3 back on early April.

10. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-23-2019),Griffey012 (06-22-2019),OGB (06-22-2019),OhioRiverBarge (06-22-2019),Ron Madden (06-22-2019)

I wish I could be like you guys and have blind hope about this team but now I am an analytics guy. And I know how this ends. I was a big believer in the lost decade teams and in the early and mid 80s teams. But true talent tells how things end. This team is .500 talent level. It is why we are under .500. Everyone is loving Iglesias at short but he is the Billy Hamilton of short stops
    Here is another I find ironic people kill Thom about Rbis but this is the big reason why people like Iglesias as a ss.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I wish I could be like you guys and have blind hope about this team but now I am an analytics guy. And I know how this ends.
    Ah! So you took up analytics and the "light came on" huh? So now you are "enlightened", elevated over the "naive", and know how this is all going to end. Sounds more like ego then analytics. Because if you haven't noticed, this forum is filled with fans into analytics. And they also understand that while analytics gives you data to help you better understand, see trends, form projections, there is no certainty in outcome. You're just in a position to make a better, more educated guess.

Everyone is loving Iglesias at short but he is the Billy Hamilton of short stops
    You're obviously ignoring analytics here then.

Billy Hamilton .... .244 BA .298 OB% .329 SLG .627 OPS
    Jose Iglesias ... .272 BA .316 OB% .369 SLG .685 OPS

Iglesias has hit .300 twice in his career. Was an All-Star in '15, and maybe this year too.

Hamilton is currently putting up a slash line of ... .225 .303 .279 .582 while Iglesias' is ... .291 .332 .423 .755

Now if you want to say Iglesias is playing slightly over his head, may regress, that's fine ... Billy Hamilton can't regress because he's never progressed (LOL).

Here is another I find ironic people kill Thom about Rbis but this is the big reason why people like Iglesias as a ss.
    People "kill" Thom simply because he's Thom, who likes to hear himself talk. The big reason why so many like Iglesias is simply the job he has been doing for us overall, both offensively and defensively. Again, look at the numbers.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

13. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-22-2019),OGB (06-22-2019),SoTxRedsFan (06-22-2019)

I wish I could be like you guys and have blind hope about this team but now I am an analytics guy. And I know how this ends. I was a big believer in the lost decade teams and in the early and mid 80s teams. But true talent tells how things end. This team is .500 talent level. It is why we are under .500. Everyone is loving Iglesias at short but he is the Billy Hamilton of short stops
    Since you are Mr. Analytics, do you know what their pythag record would be? As far as I know this goes against your assertion of .500 talent.

Check out the big brain on Brame!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-22-2019),NC Reds (06-22-2019),OGB (06-22-2019),SoTxRedsFan (06-22-2019),Tom Servo (06-22-2019)

They’re playing their best baseball right now in years. After what we’ve suffered through for the last 4.5 years, why this? And why now?

18. Likes:

Rolando (06-22-2019)

As the sample size increases and the pitching remains more and more legit, this team continues to move away from a true talent .500 team. Pre-season they were roughly a .500 talent team. The pitching has taken a massive step forward. If guys like Votto, Puig, and Winker get back to performing at their expected levels, this is much better than a .500 team.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    They’re playing their best baseball right now in years. After what we’ve suffered through for the last 4.5 years, why this? And why now?
    Exactly this is the first time I've been truly excited about the Reds since this time 2014. I have no clue how it's going to end. But it feels nice to feel like you actually have a chance to be competitive
    Crazy Reds Fan

22. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    They went 21-9 last year right around this time (then went 24-43).

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    They went 21-9 last year right around this time (then went 24-43).
    You do know it’s possible for the Reds to play better than they did last year don’t you?

I know it’s possible and I believe they will play better.
    How much better?
    I don’t know and neither does anyone else.
    I choose to believe and enjoy the season.

We now have hope. That’s a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    You do know it’s possible for the Reds to play better than they did last year don’t you?

I know it’s possible and I believe they will play better.
    How much better?
    I don’t know and neither does anyone else.
    I choose to believe and enjoy the season.

We now have hope. That’s a good thing!
    Quit trying to pee on Ray Romano's parade! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-22-2019)

Turn Off Ads?