Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rays to explore playing in Montreal part time

Re: Rays to explore playing in Montreal part time

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    For the record, I think they ought to just pick one city. Yet their 25-year shackle to the Trop runs through 2022. So maybe the best they can do is to partially move up to Montreal, play in Olympic Stadium and get a new park built for the 2023 season. Also, maybe it would get St. Pete to let them out of their agreement, allowing it to redevelop the land the Trop sits on (which means way more money to the city than having a stadium there).
    Most likely, this is a ploy to either get a new stadium or a reason to relocate to Montreal.

Two or three seasons wherein they time share between Montreal and Tampa can provide valuable information on whether Montreal is viable as a location, or whether they should abandon both for a new home elsewhere. (Perhaps Portland or, more likely, Las Vegas?)

2. Turn Off Ads?

They can't do a two or three year split in Montreal. Montreal has to build a new stadium for this to happen. They're not going to do that without some guarantee that the franchise will be around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    @BradZiegler

Splitting time between the 2 cities would be an absolute nightmare as a player… Potentially moving your family/pets back-and-forth, finding pediatricians, doctors, vets, paying rent on multiple houses, even when you’re not there. No thanks.
    First thing I thought about. This would be a nightmare for the players and families. Not that they get any big FAs now, but good luck getting any period.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    They can't do a two or three year split in Montreal. Montreal has to build a new stadium for this to happen. They're not going to do that without some guarantee that the franchise will be around for a while.
    Montreal has Stade Olympique. It's as good a place to place as the Trop.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Montreal has Stade Olympique. It's as good a place to place as the Trop.
    I somehow doubt that old girl can even rival the Trop anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Most likely, this is a ploy to either get a new stadium or a reason to relocate to Montreal.

Two or three seasons wherein they time share between Montreal and Tampa can provide valuable information on whether Montreal is viable as a location, or whether they should abandon both for a new home elsewhere. (Perhaps Portland or, more likely, Las Vegas?)
    My assumption is they'd only do this with the understanding that they're getting a new park in Montreal come 2023 (when the contractual obligation with St. Pete expires).

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-20-2019)

Still gets plenty of use, mostly concerts. I think they fixed it up a bit since the Expos played there. It's configured for baseball and could certainly serve as a temp stadium while a new park gets built.

11. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-20-2019)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    So what's the team name? Rayexpos? Exposrays? It's dumb MLB is entertaining this. If the idea is to relocate the franchise permanently to another city, just own it.
    The Snowbirds.

Most of the players probably already live out of hotel rooms or short-term condos and could make it work. Interestingly, a lot of players from other teams have homes in the Tampa area.

The Montreal fans might go for it, as the anticipation builds in the first half of the season. Opening Day in July. It’ll be even more of a bummer than usual for the handful of Rays fans, to root for a team that’s doomed to leave.

A lot of details to work out though. Probably not a trend. How would we feel about the Cincinnati-Monterrey Red Rojos?

Nothing wrong with letting them explore the idea

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The Snowbirds.

Most of the players probably already live out of hotel rooms or short-term condos and could make it work. Interestingly, a lot of players from other teams have homes in the Tampa area.

The Montreal fans might go for it, as the anticipation builds in the first half of the season. Opening Day in July. It’ll be even more of a bummer than usual for the handful of Rays fans, to root for a team that’s doomed to leave.

A lot of details to work out though. Probably not a trend. How would we feel about the Cincinnati-Monterrey Red Rojos?
    Sure seems like a transition step in a move to Montreal. They can say "look at the attendance in Montreal compared to TB..."

They have been playing end of Spring Training games there for a few years and drawing 40 K plus. My memory is the Reds participated a few years ago.

Edit: Blue Jays have done this for 6 years now:
    https://www.springtrainingonline.com...ibition-games/

Edit 2: Reds played in 2015
    In 2014, 96,350 fans jammed the domed stadium for a two-game set with the New York Mets. Last April, 96,545 spectators attended games against Toronto native Joey Votto and the Cincinnati Reds.
    https://nationalpost.com/sports/base...traight-season
    Last edited by klw; 06-20-2019 at 03:41 PM.

15. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-20-2019),M2 (06-20-2019),Revering4Blue (06-20-2019)

Given the amount of Red Sox fans who travel to Tampa for games, having games vs Boston in Montreal would sell well.

They drew 106+K fans for two ST games in 2016
    The Red Sox were a popular draw this year with the crowd of 53,420 on Saturday topping the 52,682 that turned out for Boston's 4-2 win on Friday night. The two-game total was 106,102.
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/m...rday-1.3518122

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Given the amount of Red Sox fans who travel to Tampa for games, having games vs Boston in Montreal would sell well.

They drew 106+K fans for two ST games in 2016

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/m...rday-1.3518122
    And they'd have the Yankees and Blue Jays coming in as well. If you were going to stick a team in Montreal, that's the division you'd want it to be in.

Yet, aside from that, they've definitely got a playable stadium.
    Last edited by M2; 06-20-2019 at 03:49 PM.

18. Likes:

This is basically the Rays saying whoever gives the billionaires a handout first gets the team, two stadiums? not a chance in hell.

I know the common thing to say is Bud killed the Expos and if the Rays were in Tampa they would draw, I doubt both, some places just don't care.

If MLB were ever to have a split team it should have been in Florida, it was dumb to put two teams there within 5 years of each other.
    Go Gators!

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-21-2019),Number_Fourteen (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    This is basically the Rays saying whoever gives the billionaires a handout first gets the team, two stadiums? not a chance in hell.

I know the common thing to say is Bud killed the Expos and if the Rays were in Tampa they would draw, I doubt both, some places just don't care.

If MLB were ever to have a split team it should have been in Florida, it was dumb to put two teams there within 5 years of each other.
    Bud didn't kill the Expos- the 1994 strike and Jeffrey Loria did. I remember seeing a game in MTL vs LA just before the strike, they swept LA and were drawing 35K crowds. Loud, fun, passionate fans that weekend. The Expos had the best record in MLB by 3.5 games when the strike hit. Had they won it all that year, Loria can't sell off all the players, not have an English lang radio broadcast, new stadium gets built...

22. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    So what's the team name? Rayexpos? Exposrays? It's dumb MLB is entertaining this. If the idea is to relocate the franchise permanently to another city, just own it.
    Tampa Bay Timeshares.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-20-2019),Rojo Rijo (06-20-2019)

Turn Off Ads?