Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rays to explore playing in Montreal part time

Re: Rays to explore playing in Montreal part time

Would it be crazy for the Reds to play the first 3 weeks in Arizona?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    The X-rays

Name:  Bog8uRtCIAE51mN.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  39.4 KB

4. Likes:

M2 (06-21-2019),Revering4Blue (06-20-2019)

They call me "chef"

They'd obviously be called the Canada Rays.

"C Rays" for short.

And, if you have a problem with that, take it up with your local congressman. Otherwise, stick to the thread topic and avoid the personal attacks as this is just another example of how Redszone is out of touch with the rest of America and Montreal.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-21-2019),M2 (06-21-2019),Tom Servo (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    @BradZiegler

Splitting time between the 2 cities would be an absolute nightmare as a player… Potentially moving your family/pets back-and-forth, finding pediatricians, doctors, vets, paying rent on multiple houses, even when you’re not there. No thanks.
    This is a bit of an exaggeration.
    During the season, there's 81 road games.. I am not sure how many days away from home that translates to, but they already have to have someone take care of their pets.

Maybe they could give the players the same per deim in Montreal that they get on the road to help make up for possibly paying double rent, etc.

St Pete Mayor says he won't give permission.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Horrible idea. Just move the Rays to either Nashville or Charlotte.

At least in Montreal the fanbase will be able to see over the steering wheel when they're going to the game.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

Chip R (06-21-2019),cumberlandreds (06-21-2019),mgbrown66 (06-20-2019),Revering4Blue (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They only bottom-feed for free agents as it is.

What fans?

For the record, I think they ought to just pick one city. Yet their 25-year shackle to the Trop runs through 2022. So maybe the best they can do is to partially move up to Montreal, play in Olympic Stadium and get a new park built for the 2023 season. Also, maybe it would get St. Pete to let them out of their agreement, allowing it to redevelop the land the Trop sits on (which means way more money to the city than having a stadium there).
    The lease in St. Pete runs through 2027, this isn't happening.

Sounds like some lawsuits are coming, leases can be broken.
    Go Gators!

Isn’t there some legal debauchery in Montreal?

Asking for a friend in case baseball goes back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The lease in St. Pete runs through 2027, this isn't happening.
    I'd like to know how that lease breaks down. IIRC, the Rays slapped a 25-year no relocation clause on MLB when they entered the league (in return for not suing the league over convincing St. Pete to build a stadium on spec). That lease might not be so ironclad after 2022. Also, there was some reporting a few years back the redevelopment rights are more valuable than the lease. The Rays aren't floating this idea if they don't think there's a way out before 2027. We don't know where the wiggle is, but they're looking to knock something loose.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If the Rays would move full time to Montreal, wonder if there would be discussion of swapping Washington to the AL East and the Expos back to the NL.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If the Rays would move full time to Montreal, wonder if there would be discussion of swapping Washington to the AL East and the Expos back to the NL.
    Zero chance. No way Montreal would leave a division with Toronto, Boston and New York. Those are the three cities closest to it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-21-2019),Spanky (06-21-2019),Tom Servo (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Nah, I think the AL east is a perfect division for Montreal.
    Baltimore, Boston, New York, Toronto, and Montreal that is a pretty geographically close division which is good for filling up the stadiums.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd like to know how that lease breaks down. IIRC, the Rays slapped a 25-year no relocation clause on MLB when they entered the league (in return for not suing the league over convincing St. Pete to build a stadium on spec). That lease might not be so ironclad after 2022. Also, there was some reporting a few years back the redevelopment rights are more valuable than the lease. The Rays aren't floating this idea if they don't think there's a way out before 2027. We don't know where the wiggle is, but they're looking to knock something loose.
    The only reason the Rays are talking about it is to pressure Tampa into building them a stadium.

Turn Off Ads?