Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Morosi: Reds buyers for controllable hitter at deadline

Re: Morosi: Reds buyers for controllable hitter at deadline

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Indians would not do that Imho.

Santillan can’t keep runners off the basepaths, India is fine but not really anything special, and Tramm is displaying no power and can’t play CF.

Lindor is an elite SS with 2 more years of control entering his prime. I get fangraphs just ranked Tramm 7 overall, but other publications have him plummeting in the rankings. I think it would take a legit top 5 prospect + others (probably a 55FV, 50FV, and 45FV).

The Indians are far back in their division but are very much in the thick of the wild card race, it would take an offer I simply don’t think the reds can match without giving up Senzel.
    probably true, but we can dream.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Merrifield does fit the mold we'd need...controlled for 3 maybe 4 years, plays 2 spots with possible outgoing free agents, and hits for average which we need desperately.

India+ some others...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Yeah, as long as Cleveland is getting a whiff of the playoffs, they're not dealing Lindor. But man he would be the perfect catalyst for the Reds offense.

Looking in a different direction, what type of package would it take to obtain Mancini and Severino from Baltimore?

I'm guessing any deal like that would involve Puig going to another team (Cleveland?).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    I would absolutely love to add Hunter Renfroe.

What about moving Disco or Mahle to bullpen and shipping Hernandez in a package with someone instead? No idea what San Diego needs (aside from better uniforms. Ditch the drab!)
    Trading a bullpen piece would be a disaster. I think the bullpen should be the primary area they should look to improve.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    I would absolutely love to add Hunter Renfroe.

What about moving Disco or Mahle to bullpen and shipping Hernandez in a package with someone instead? No idea what San Diego needs (aside from better uniforms. Ditch the drab!)
    Reds have a lot of right handed bullpen arms. If you moved Hernandez, (assuming Reed was back), you fill his spot with Bowman. Or Herget or Kuhnel.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I said yesterday and still do think a rental like Corey Dickerson would really complement the current OF.
    I definitely like Dickerson, but who would he be taking PT from?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Trading a bullpen piece would be a disaster. I think the bullpen should be the primary area they should look to improve.
    They desperately need to improve on the #1 Bullpen in NL, (#2 in all of MLB)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

What?...... Fellas, They are sellers. They really aren't in the position to buy anything for multiple prospects.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    What?...... Fellas, They are sellers.
    It's really too early to say either way, the buying scenario is just the more fun one.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

HammerTime (06-21-2019)

It's really too early to say either way, the buying scenario is just the more fun one.
    As far as records in the NL go, there are 4 teams behind them and 10 in front, and we're about half way though the season. I know which way I'd bet.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Listen to Dick Williams on #Reds buying/selling at trade deadline, $$ payroll, chemistry, roster flexibility, Scooter and more. 700wlw.iheart.com/fe… #Reds
    https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/l...dick-williams/

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Yeah, as long as Cleveland is getting a whiff of the playoffs, they're not dealing Lindor. But man he would be the perfect catalyst for the Reds offense.

Looking in a different direction, what type of package would it take to obtain Mancini and Severino from Baltimore?

I'm guessing any deal like that would involve Puig going to another team (Cleveland?).
    Mancini was the one piece I was looking at. A right handed hitter who can play RF, LF and 1B. The perfect guy to start for Winker or Votto vs Lefties. (Seriously, look @ Votto's and Winker's splits vs lefties.) Also, he hits righties way better than Puig is doing this year.

He fills in @ RF next year after Puig leaves. (Cheaper as well.) The downside is the defense with Winker and Manicini at the corners. The upside is a really good hitter who is hitting better than Puig this year, and I like I said before-- way better than Winker and Votto vs Lefties. The Reds would slowly morph into what the Dodgers were doing last year, which was 2 completely different lineups based upon whether the SP was a lefty or righty. It is a move that helps this year and the next couple for the Reds.

As always, it really depends on what price the Orioles want for him. If he is too expensive to trade for, then pass.

That's why they are looking for a controllable person, not a rental. THe controllable bat benefits them this and future years. The rental does not. So even if the Reds are 10 games back near the deadline, it doesn't preclude them from going after a controllable player.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    They desperately need to improve on the #1 Bullpen in NL, (#2 in all of MLB)
    I know this is sarcastic, but I don't think that is a crazy idea. Having a ton of thunder in the bullpen has been a recipe for success for a number of playoff teams.

jvs

18. Likes:

OGB (06-21-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-5533.html

WrongVerb
    2:41
    Reds are looking for a controllable bat. Who fits that category and where would he play?

Jeffrey Todd
    2:41
    If you read between the lines in the post I wrote about that report, you'll see that I found myself wondering the same thing. It all seems a bit empty to me.
    2:42
    Like, yeah, sure ... who wouldn't want a young outfielder who's on track to be a star. But what is the scenario for that and how does it help the team now? If it is just great value then ... that's not really tied to the deadline, it's just "no crap, of course a team would do that deal."
    2:44
    I also don't think it's at all clear that the Reds won't be in the rental market as buyers or sellers. Plenty of things could still happen to make that realistic. If they are right in the mix in the division, they aren't going to go after rental players at areas of need? (Say, a platoon OF and solid hitting veteran catcher?) Then why did they do the deals before the season for rental guys?
    Grayson
    2:47
    Tim seriously suggested that Clint Frazier would not be the headliner in a trade package for a starting pitcher, even saying that trading him for tanner roark is fair. Please tell me that he’s wrong
    Jeffrey Todd
    2:49
    I haven't read his specific comments, so I won't offer a reaction to them in particularly. But generally, I do think Frazier is a bit over-hyped as a trade piece. He was never a super-elite prospect and hasn't really done anything more than was expected. He has burned through some service time and showed some warts. Good piece but I don't think he's going to be the headliner for a controllable, higher-end starter.
    2:51
    That said, I do think he's a truly valuable asset. Half-season of Roark would seem like a weak return, which I say in part b/c I believe Roark is probably going to take a step back. What's most interesting about Frazier is that he isn't a far-off or even near-MLB prospect. He's a plug-and-play guy right from the outset. That would hold appeal to some teams and perhaps help loosen them up for a deal they wouldn't otherwise be especially inclined to make. Trouble is, there aren't a lot of appealing starters that would seem to be on the block even given thatt.
    seth r
    3:12
    Are the Reds a real wild card contender when they add Alex Wood and Scooter to the team soon?
    Jeffrey Todd
    3:14
    As I also hinted in the post I wrote on the aforementioned trade rumor, I think the idea that the Reds are going to need bats and won't need pitching is not necessarily on the mark. Getting Wood back would help, but who knows what he'll have. They have had impeccable injury fortune thus far. How often does that last? And the bats are quite likely to improve. It could all turn out well in combination. Just ... seems as likely or likelier they will end up in position to add to the pen or even rotation as that they will want a substantial lineup upgrade.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 06-21-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

JFLegal (06-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?