Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Morosi: Reds buyers for controllable hitter at deadline

Re: Morosi: Reds buyers for controllable hitter at deadline

Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    I know this is sarcastic, but I don't think that is a crazy idea. Having a ton of thunder in the bullpen has been a recipe for success for a number of playoff teams.

jvs
    They already have that thunder, and guys waiting in the wings. In fact, I'd be looking to move Iglesias if we can get some nice talent.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (06-22-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    They already have that thunder, and guys waiting in the wings. In fact, I'd be looking to move Iglesias if we can get some nice talent.
    Well besides Amir Garrett I wouldn't say there's too much funner down there they're definitely not bad obviously. But he's the only guy I see as a shutdown pitcher. They definitely could use a better second lefty then Zach Duke.
    Crazy Reds Fan

5. Likes:

OGB (06-21-2019)

That's a fine strategy as well, but there is nothing crazy about the idea that adding bullpen could be the way to go.

1990 Dibble/Myers/Charleton combined for 10.7 bWar. The top 3 guys this year (Iglesias/Garrett/Lorenzen) are on pace for 7.1. Impact relievers are usually less expensive to rent than impact SPs or bats. If you are planning on making the playoffs, I've seen worse ideas that trying to put together a sick bullpen.

jvs

7. Likes:

OGB (06-21-2019),Rolando (06-21-2019)

I would do Trammell, India and Santillan for Lindor, and I am still very high on Trammell.

Also, isn't there at least some irony in MLBTR posting an article about Clint Frazier being available (albeit not for just a rental) and the Reds wanting to acquire a controllable young hitter? There's gotta be a deal in there somewhere, especially if the Reds regress in the month of July.

Totally not happening, but would you do Votto for Frazier at this point? Would the Yankees ever consider that?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    What?...... Fellas, They are sellers. They really aren't in the position to buy anything for multiple prospects.
    I agree, they should be looking towards next year, but since it said "controllable hitter", I am fine with that.

Also, would love to have Lindor as a long term Red, but my guess is that he's determined to test FA. The Indians have been trying for years to extend Lindor, and he's always turned them down. That means the Reds probably couldn't extend him either.

After this season, they have Iglesis, Lorenzen, Robert S, and Garrett which is not too bad of a foundation.

If the Reds really wanted to build for the future, they would dangle Garrett. Potentially a huge return for him if a contender gets desperate for an impact LH reliever.. This is what "sell high" is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by bottom_feeder View Post
    After this season, they have Iglesis, Lorenzen, Robert S, and Garrett which is not too bad of a foundation.

If the Reds really wanted to build for the future, they would dangle Garrett. Potentially a huge return for him if a contender gets desperate for an impact LH reliever.. This is what "sell high" is all about.
    IF the Reds could get anywhere close to what the Yankees got for Chapman or Miller at the deadline a few years ago, they should be ALL OVER that.
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-23-2019)

Trading Votto, with a full no trade, is a non-starter. Plus the Yankees just got EE from the M's.

If the Reds really are looking for a bat, they either need to go the superstar bat route in a Lindor, or be sellers and get a top prospect from a division leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    As far as records in the NL go, there are 4 teams behind them and 10 in front, and we're about half way though the season. I know which way I'd bet.
    There are three teams ahead of the Reds not 10. No one should pay attention to WC standings in June. Another good week and the Reds can pass the Cardinals.

I'm of the mind that Puig's replcement for next year is in the system right now. Aquino is certainly turning heads. Van Meter could be a fit with regular playing time. Schebler in a platoon might be an option.

If the Reds settle on a Roark/Desclafani plus Puig deal to get a hitter simply to replace Puig right now, IMO is short-sighted and will backfire.

Also Clint Frazier is an abysmal defender. I'd be hacked if he's the target.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Senzel is that starting point for Linder. The Indians will not begin negotiations until he’s in the deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bottom_feeder View Post

I’m a big fan of Garrett, but would move him for a big package at the deadline in a heartbeat. Once he was moved to the pen, his long term value to the team plummeted.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

15. Likes:

They desperately need to improve on the #1 Bullpen in NL, (#2 in all of MLB)
    They rely too heavily on it and it's overworked. They've also been very, very fortunate health wise.

I also don't have the confidence you do in the guys waiting in the wings.
    I hope Romano and Herget can be nice additions eventually. I don't trust them now.
    Last edited by OGB; 06-21-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

17. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-23-2019),Old school 1983 (06-22-2019)

I would actually like to pull off a monster deal with Seattle right now regarding this topic:

Reds trade: Jesse Winker, Tony Santillan, Tucker Barnhart and Jimmy Herget

Mariners trade: Domingo Santana and Omar Naevarez

19. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I would actually like to pull off a monster deal with Seattle right now regarding this topic:

That's a bit too rich for my blood, but not ridiculose.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post

I like your targets, but would rather keep Winker. Sub one or more others, or trade Puig for a prospect that can be flipped.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I would like an uncontrollable hitter.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

Always Red (06-26-2019),Caveat Emperor (06-22-2019),Powder River (06-22-2019),Rojo Rijo (06-22-2019),savafan (06-26-2019),Tom Servo (06-21-2019),TRF (06-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would do Trammell, India and Santillan for Lindor, and I am still very high on Trammell.
    I would human sacrifice Trammell, India and Santillan for Lindor.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

25. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-23-2019),Caveat Emperor (06-22-2019),Mitri (06-22-2019),Rojo Rijo (06-22-2019),savafan (06-26-2019),Tom Servo (06-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?