Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Year Ago: What's better, what's worse?

One Year Ago: What's better, what's worse?

One year ago today the Reds beat the Cubs 6-2 to bring their record to 29-45. At this point today, the Reds are 35-38.

I thought it would be interesting to specifically discuss what the Reds have done better in a year's time, and what's not working as well as it was a year ago.

I'll start with left field. At this point last year, Duvall was the starting left fielder. On this day last year, he was hitting .200, his OPS was .695. He would be traded to the Braves about a month later.

Winker now has a .254 batting average and an OPS of .804.

Defensively, it's almost a wash, with Winker maybe having a slight advantage there.

So, as far as left field goes, they've improved.

Who wants to go next?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One Year Ago: What's better, what's worse?

You can make a case that the major improvement is the pitching coach. All of the starters are performing as well or better than they did last year, whether with the Reds or their former team. The scuttlebut last year was, if this team only had some solid starting pitching, they could win. The bats are probably not as impressive as last year at this time, when Gennett, Suarez and Votto were all-stars. The hitters constantly seem to be coming around since April, but at this point Iglesias has been their best hitter.

4. Likes:

Cooper (06-22-2019)

Last year the Reds' team ERA prior to the All Star break was 4.69. This season it is 3.49.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_...2018/split/181

26th in MLB to 3rd!
    Last edited by klw; 06-21-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: add apostrophe

6. Likes:

blumj (06-21-2019),Bourgeois Zee (06-22-2019),Cooper (06-22-2019),cumberlandreds (06-23-2019),NC Reds (06-22-2019),OGB (06-22-2019),paintmered (06-21-2019),Powder River (06-22-2019),reds44 (06-21-2019),Revering4Blue (06-22-2019),RiverRat13 (06-21-2019),SunDeck (06-22-2019),UKFlounder (06-21-2019),wlf WV (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Last year the Reds team ERA prior to the All Star break was 4.69. This season it is 3.49.

26th in MLB to 3rd!
    /Thread
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

8. Likes:

Fil3232 (06-22-2019),Old school 1983 (06-22-2019),UKFlounder (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Last year the Reds team ERA prior to the All Star break was 4.69. This season it is 3.49.

26th in MLB to 3rd!
    nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-21-2019),WildcatFan (06-21-2019)

we'll see how the rest of the year goes, but at this point I'd say they're worse off with Tucker 2019 than they were with Tucker 2018. Even with Casali getting more playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Defensively, it's almost a wash, with Winker maybe having a slight advantage there.
    Duvall's defensive metrics last year for the Reds were terrific. Not sure how you're getting Winker is better. I don't miss Duvall, but he's a far superior defender to Winker.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-21-2019),Big Klu (06-22-2019),Old school 1983 (06-22-2019),wlf WV (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Duvall's defensive metrics last year for the Reds were terrific. Not sure how you're getting Winker is better. I don't miss Duvall, but he's a far superior defender to Winker.
    I meant Duvall has an advantage there. I'm also comparing them directly from a year ago to this point in 2019. Winker's defense has improved.

I'm not even going to look up the stats to see that Senzel is an upgrade in CF over Hamilton. I'm just gonna roll with my gut on that one.

16. Likes:

indy_dave00 (06-23-2019),NC Reds (06-22-2019),Powder River (06-22-2019),Revering4Blue (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    One year ago today the Reds beat the Cubs 6-2 to bring their record to 29-45. At this point today, the Reds are 35-38.

I thought it would be interesting to specifically discuss what the Reds have done better in a year's time, and what's not working as well as it was a year ago.

I'll start with left field. At this point last year, Duvall was the starting left fielder. On this day last year, he was hitting .200, his OPS was .695. He would be traded to the Braves about a month later.

Winker now has a .254 batting average and an OPS of .804.

So, as far as left field goes, they've improved.

Who wants to go next?
    Well last year on this date Duvall had 0.5 war this year Winker 0.2 war so we are .3 war worse in left field.

We upgrade from Scooter to Dietrich 1.4 war to 1.8 war .858 ops to .939 ops

Puig downgrade vs Schebler .715 ops .1 war vs .771 ops .3 war

MIddle Infield defense is vastly improved. A real SS is a must IMO. Iglesias is light years better than Peraza at SS.

Even a slumping Puig is an upgrade in RF. The OF hasn't really been very good, but it's vastly improved at all three spots.

Of course Roark and Gray give them some actual big league starting pitchers. Disco is improved over what he was last year.

Amir Garrett and Michael Lorenzen have gone from iffy weaknesses to strengths (major strengths in Garrett's case) in the bullpen.

The bench, with Dietrich, Farmer and now Peraza is way better than the collection of minor leaguers that they've had in past years.

On the downside, Votto and Suarez are having way worse seasons. Jared Hughes was out of his mind last year and there was no way he could be as good. Barnhart has been abysmal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

OGB (06-22-2019),Revering4Blue (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    On the downside, Votto and Suarez are having way worse seasons. Jared Hughes was out of his mind last year and there was no way he could be as good. Barnhart has been abysmal.
    Hughes is pretty much the same, really, just not able to suppress HRs as ridiculously well as he did last season.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

21. Likes:

Rolando (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    MIddle Infield defense is vastly improved. A real SS is a must IMO. Iglesias is light years better than Peraza at SS.

Even a slumping Puig is an upgrade in RF. The OF hasn't really been very good, but it's vastly improved at all three spots.

Of course Roark and Gray give them some actual big league starting pitchers. Disco is improved over what he was last year.

Amir Garrett and Michael Lorenzen have gone from iffy weaknesses to strengths (major strengths in Garrett's case) in the bullpen.

The bench, with Dietrich, Farmer and now Peraza is way better than the collection of minor leaguers that they've had in past years.

A lots of times I agree with but not here the of is way worse and it was bad last year. SS is awash.
    The bench is better. C 1b and 3b are way worse. Suarez started hot but has cooled. Votto compared to other 1b is a real liability. You have to remember offense is up league wide and it is not with the reds. The only saving grace is the bench is great compared to the crap we had like Gossling and Pennington ect last year

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    A lots of times I agree with but not here the of is way worse and it was bad last year. SS is awash.
    The bench is better. C 1b and 3b are way worse. Suarez started hot but has cooled. Votto compared to other 1b is a real liability. You have to remember offense is up league wide and it is not with the reds. The only saving grace is the bench is great compared to the crap we had like Gossling and Pennington ect last year
    SS is a wash? 1B and 3b are way worse? Votto's a liability?

Have you watched this team at all this year? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Sorry, Peraza is below average at best playing SS. I think he'd need to improve to be below average frankly. Iglesias plays the position with a smooth ease we haven't seen around here since Barry Larkin was young. Even Cozart, who I thought was quite a good defender, doesn't compare to Iglesias. Peraza cheats toward the hole to get to those balls more quickly to make up for his weak arm. The result is lots of balls that should be outs that are hit just to the SS side of 2B end up being hits into CF. Iglesias can make those plays in the hole without cheating which leaves him in position to make those plays near second base as well. There is simply no comparison between the two defensively. Peraza isn't a bad player, he's useful and is a pesky hitter who can be really good when BABIP is going his way. He's simply not a starting caliber big league SS IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

25. Likes:

Big Klu (06-22-2019),GAC (06-22-2019),Powder River (06-22-2019),Rolando (06-22-2019)

Turn Off Ads?