Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Rankings

Re: Star Wars Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The GOAT western is clearly Tombstone, followed closely by Unforgiven.
    Wha? I like Tombstone, but it pales by comparison to at least two dozen others. Top 25 for me but no higher.

Just started watching Deadwood, BTW, after missing its original run. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Wha? I like Tombstone, but it pales by comparison to at least two dozen others. Top 25 for me but no higher.

Just started watching Deadwood, BTW, after missing its original run. So good.

It’s ok to be wrong
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Whoa. While I’m all for sussing our genre hybridity, I’m not sure if go so far as putting A New Hope #1 on a list of the best all time!
    Agreed. I see their point, but I'm pretty square about keeping the genre lines clear for a list like this.

But there's a subtle swipe in the list against anti-"cultural appropriation" (culture is cultural appropriation).

I haven't seen #2 or -- sorry to say -- Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid nor McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

I thought the list-makers were bold to put The Searchers as low as #10. But I approve. It's not even my favorite Ford movie. In fact, I think The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance might be my number one. That or Once Upon a Time in the West.
    Last edited by Rojo; 07-04-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Star Wars Rankings

It’s ok to be wrong
    So you saw all of John Ford, Sergio Leone, Sam Peckinpah and Budd Boetticher and you *still* think Tombstone is the best of all time?

Come on. I know you are teasing a bit, but come on.

“Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Agreed. I see their point, but I'm pretty square about keeping the genre lines clear for a list like this.

But there's a subtle swipe in the list against anti-"cultural appropriation" (culture is cultural appropriation).

I haven't seen #2 or -- sorry to say -- Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid nor McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

I thought the list-makers were bold to put The Searchers as low as #10. But I approve. It's not even my favorite Ford movie. In fact, I think The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance might be my number one. That or Once Upon a Time in the West.
    McCabe and Mrs. Miller is in my top-5 easily. Definitely recommend.

Agree on the Ford. You could make a plausible case that he directed *all* of the top 10 westerns of all time. I think my own favorite is My Darling Clementine.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (07-04-2019)

So you saw all of John Ford, Sergio Leone, Sam Peckinpah and Budd Boetticher and you *still* think Tombstone is the best of all time?

Come on. I know you are teasing a bit, but come on.

I’m honestly just having some fun.

Tombstone is my favorite western. By far.

I can’t watch more than 10-15 minutes of most westerns, especially ones filmed prior to like the 80s. I tried watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and just couldn’t do it. No interest.

9. Likes:

RedEye (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

My favorite Ford movie doesn't fit on the list--The Grapes of Wrath.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

RedEye (07-04-2019)

I tried watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and just couldn’t do it. No interest.
    The Dollar Trilogy can be slow-moving at times. I love them but I think Leone really put it all together with Once Upon a Time in the West. It gets overlooked because it doesn't have Clint Eastwood. You should labor through "Good" though for the stand-off at the end.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller is in my top-5 easily. Definitely recommend.

Agree on the Ford. You could make a plausible case that he directed *all* of the top 10 westerns of all time. I think my own favorite is My Darling Clementine.
    I will watch, but I'm honestly not an Altman fan.

And, yeah, Ford is just really the greatest. And Wayne's a far better actor than he's given credit for (he says on the 4th of July). There's a scene in Liberty Valance where he drunkenly burns down the little house he was building for the woman he's never going to have. It's so well done that I have to assume Wayne actually got drunk to do it.

And that's not far-fetched. That's another remarkable thing: Wayne and Ford were half-crocked through all their pictures. There's a great story about the both of them taking a mutual sobriety pledge for the filming of the Quiet Man -- they both started cheating within two days.

If you can’t watch Westerns before the 80s then you really don’t like Westerns. I like Tombstone but not more than The Outlaw Josey Wales. The Wild Bunch. Even Blazing Saddles is more enjoyable. The Unforgiven and the Tarantino movie were very good. But Shane and The Searchers are basically what those movies are looking at as the inspiration. That Joan Crawford western was so avant-garde bizarre that it’s hard to believe it was made at all during that time period.
    There were some bad ones of course. The George Custer movie was horrible.

I can understand if saying any gangster/mafia movie is not worth watching before The Godfather. Except maybe a James Cagney classic. But not westerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    If you can’t watch Westerns before the 80s then you really don’t like Westerns. I like Tombstone but not more than The Outlaw Josey Wales. The Wild Bunch. Even Blazing Saddles is more enjoyable. The Unforgiven and the Tarantino movie were very good. But Shane and The Searchers are basically what those movies are looking at as the inspiration. That Joan Crawford western was so avant-garde bizarre that it’s hard to believe it was made at all during that time period.

I can understand if saying any gangster/mafia movie is not worth watching before The Godfather. Except maybe a James Cagney classic. But not westerns.
    My whole point was they just aren’t my bag. I’ve tried, just find them boring and repetitive. I’ve watched The Searchers before, and it’s a perfect example for me. That movie is absolutely nothing special to me.

My whole point was they just aren’t my bag. I’ve tried, just find them boring and repetitive. I’ve watched The Searchers before, and it’s a perfect example for me. That movie is absolutely nothing special to me.

That makes sense if Westerns are not your thing as well. They were over saturated to begin with. TV was even worse.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

1. Empire
    2. ANH
    3. Rogue
    4. Return
    5. TFA
    6. Sith
    7. Solo
    8. TLJ
    9. Menace
    10. Clones
    Hope isn't a strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

The Man who Shot Liberty Valance is a great movie.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

19. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-18-2019),Rojo (07-18-2019)

The local college ("Faber") is showing the original trilogy on its old style really big screen this summer. I was out of town last weekend for Star Wars but will certainly do my best to catch Empire Strikes back this weekend.

21. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-18-2019),redsfanmia (07-17-2019)

Turn Off Ads?