Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Rankings

Re: Star Wars Rankings

"Empire Strikes Back" is the only movie I saw at a Thursday, Midnight Premiere. About 10 of us the Summer of '80 saw it, and it was so good that it ruined my ability to watch another premiere since then. It was truly cinema magic that night. Same goes for Broadway Shows. Watching the "touring" versions is a huge drop-off in quality.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

RedEye (06-24-2019),Rojo (06-24-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Empire
    Rouge One
    Return of the Jedi
    New Hope
    Solo
    Force Awakens
    Last Jedi
    Phantom Menace
    Sith
    Clones

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    "Empire Strikes Back" is the only movie I saw at a Thursday, Midnight Premiere. About 10 of us the Summer of '80 saw it, and it was so good that it ruined my ability to watch another premiere since then. It was truly cinema magic that night. Same goes for Broadway Shows. Watching the "touring" versions is a huge drop-off in quality.
    Wish I could have been there. I was 5 at the time, and wouldn't be allowed to see a Star Wars movie in the theater until Jedi opened a few years later. Ended up seeing Empire on VHS just prior to that, but since I'd already played with the toys for several years, it was bound to be magic no matter how it looked. Can't tell you how many times my action figures slit open that tauntaun's stomach to save another guy's life...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Empire
    Rouge One
    Return of the Jedi
    New Hope
    Solo
    Force Awakens
    Last Jedi
    Phantom Menace
    Sith
    Clones
    Right there with ya on the first two. I'd put A New Hope above Jedi.

We part ways with Solo though... that thing just left me cold as ice.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I re-watched the prequels and thought Attack was much better than I remembered. Phantom just drags, which is a cardinal sin. But the sequence in Attack where Obi-Wan tracks down the clone planet I thought worked really well, like one of those rainy Hong Kong noir thrillers.

Rogue One was a mess.

Another thing about the prequels that most people can't admit: Portman's awful. She was very young and she's fine actress now. But she was awful in those. Fanboys can't admit this because she's so pretty.

The later movies know the words but they don't hear the music -- to paraphrase Mark Twain.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I re-watched the prequels and thought Attack was much better than I remembered. Phantom just drags, which is a cardinal sin. But the sequence in Attack where Obi-Wan tracks down the clone planet I thought worked really well, like one of those rainy Hong Kong noir thrillers.

Rogue One was a mess.

Another thing about the prequels that most people can't admit: Portman's awful. She was very young and she's fine actress now. But she was awful in those. Fanboys can't admit this because she's so pretty.

The later movies know the words but they don't hear the music -- to paraphrase Mark Twain.
    Um...
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post

it's the only Star Wars movie that I don't ever want to re-watch.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    it's the only Star Wars movie that I don't ever want to re-watch.
    Yeah, I know, right? I sort of knew that Ron Howard would do that to it, but I didn’t quite believe it until it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Um...
    Yes?

Phantom just drags, which is a cardinal sin. But the sequence in Attack where Obi-Wan tracks down the clone planet I thought worked really well, like one of those rainy Hong Kong noir thrillers.
    Great comparison! I found it gripping as well.

Rogue One was a mess.
    Nah. Best contemporary SW film and it ain’t close.

14. Likes:

Rojo (06-24-2019)

Nah. Best contemporary SW film and it ain’t close.
    Maybe I will watch again. I remember one scene when they're fighting in Moss Eisley and then they stop fighting and then just start fighting again. It was clumsy as hell.

Lucas was great at Mis-en-Scene -- think of the cutting between the space fight in Return with the fighting on Endor (with the cool wipes0 -- and Rogue One, to my memory, didn't have it.
    Last edited by Rojo; 06-24-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Star Wars Rankings

Maybe I will watch again.
    What I respect ROGUE ONE for is just its gritty alternative to the typical SW fare. It’s a footnote to the rest of the epic that, by all rights, should not be very interesting. We know what happens, we just don’t know how it happens. But it just soars. It’s a Huston war documentary. It’s a Leone or Peckinpah western filtered through the Lucas prism.

But it still works. The film manages to expand our knowledge of that world, as well as to nuance our sense of what the Force is and how it works. The film also plays like some sort of war film from the Middle East at some points — at moments I thought I was watching ZERO DARK THIRTY instead of a sci fi franchise. And that last action scene running from Vader is pure genius and video game fan service — love it.

Last edited by RedEye; 06-25-2019 at 08:27 AM.

17. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-25-2019)

Maybe I will watch again. I remember one scene when they're fighting in Moss Eisley and then they stop fighting and then just start fighting again. It was clumsy as hell.

Lucas was great at Mis-en-Scene -- think of the cutting between the space fight in Return with the fighting on Endor (with the cool wipes0 -- and Rogue One, to my memory, didn't have it.
    Rogue One def has that in the third act.

Also, that ain’t Mos Eisley
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

RedEye (06-24-2019)

New Hope and Jedi are very close for me. I guess I just remember more about Jedi.

Solo isn’t a classic or anything, but I thought it was a lot of fun and kinda leaned into what it was trying to be and it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Solo isn’t a classic or anything, but I thought it was a lot of fun and kinda leaned into what it was trying to be and it worked for me.
    I have several friends who feel the same way. I wanted to like it, I really did. It just felt like the whole was less than the sum of its parts.

Solo really was, for me anyway, the moment that the Star Wars franchise jumped the shark. I don't necessarily think it was because of the quality of that film itself. We need a few years to stew about what it coming next in this world. If you start loading these films in every Christmas, it gets boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Rogue One def has that in the third act.
    The third act of ROGUE ONE is masterful filmmaking. I really wish Edwards could have had more control. He's the droid they were looking for, not Rian Johnson.

22. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (06-25-2019),Caveat Emperor (06-26-2019)

Turn Off Ads?