Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Rankings

Re: Star Wars Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Rogue One def has that in the third act.

Also, that ain’t Mos Eisley
    Yeah, I wasn't quite sure it was Mos Eisley. Still, a terrible scene.

I don't remember the third act. Probably because I got lost in Acts I and II.

I'm a big Simpson's fan. At a certain point, The Simpsons writers were people who grow up with The Simpsons and tried to write The Simpsons episodes. And it sucked.

IOW, J.J. Abrams is a cover band.
    Last edited by Rojo; 06-25-2019 at 03:17 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Best to Worst - Title
    #1 - Episode IV: A New Hope (May '77)
    #2 - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (May '80)
    #3 - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (May '83)
    #4 - Rogue One (December '16)
    #5 - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (May '05)
    #6 - Episode II: Attack of the Clones (May '02)
    #7 - Episode I: The Phantom Menace (May '99)
    #8 - Solo (May '18)
    #9 - Episode VII: The Force Awakens (December '15)
    #10 - Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (December '17)
    ? - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December '19)

-A New Hope has to be first, even if you don't think it was the best, because it started it.
    --1,2,and 3 are more like 1a, 1b, and 1c
    ---Rogue is a clear 4 for me.
    ----Revenge is definitely 5, it brings everything together - the near destruction of the Jedi Order, the transformation of the Republic to the Empire, and finally shows Anakin turn (aside from the "high-ground" comment the light saber fight with Obi-Wan is epic).

*I'm not including the Clone Wars film (which paled in comparison to the actual clone wars series - which they've recently announced they are reviving) or the Ewok films; which were brutal.

I think a lot of this will depend on which year you were born.

4. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (06-26-2019),Kingspoint (06-25-2019)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Hope
    Empire
    Rogue
    Return
    Awakens
    Solo
    Revenge
    Last
    Attack

Phantom
    This is really good.

Id put Phantom as one of the worst movies ever made.

6. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-25-2019)

I forgot about this. This is my new #1.

8. Likes:

Dom Heffner (06-25-2019),marcshoe (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't quite sure it was Mos Eisley. Still, a terrible scene.

I don't remember the third act. Probably because I got lost in Acts I and II.

I'm a big Simpson's fan. At a certain point, The Simpsons writers were people who grow up with The Simpsons and tried to write The Simpsons episodes. And it sucked.

IOW, J.J. Abrams is a cover band.
    JJ didn’t make Rogue One
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    What I respect ROGUE ONE for is just its gritty alternative to the typical SW fare. It’s a footnote to the rest of the epic that, by all rights, should not be very interesting. We know what happens, we just don’t know how it happens. But it just soars. It’s a Huston war documentary. It’s a Leone or Peckinpah western filtered through the Lucas prism.

But it still works. The film manages to expand our knowledge of that world, as well as to nuance our sense of what the Force is and how it works. The film also plays like some sort of war film from the Middle East at some points — at moments I thought I was watching ZERO DARK THIRTY instead of a sci fi franchise. And that last action scene running from Vader is pure genius and video game fan service — love it.
    I like that Rogue One had the balls to kill off it's cast, and also that it didn't feel the need to shoehorn a romance subplot into the film to appease modern Hollywood sensibilities.

It also has, far and away, the best space battle they've done since the original trilogy. Legit the kind of thing I was dreaming up while playing with action figures as a kid.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

redsfanmia (06-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I like that Rogue One had the balls to kill off it's cast, and also that it didn't feel the need to shoehorn a romance subplot into the film to appease modern Hollywood sensibilities.

It also has, far and away, the best space battle they've done since the original trilogy. Legit the kind of thing I was dreaming up while playing with action figures as a kid.
    Agreed. I mean, killing off the cast was probably a narrative requirement in some ways, since there's almost no way that the film's "footnote" to known history would make sense without that detail.

What I admire most, though, is the courage the film has to pursue a more "adult" tone. It feels more like a Peckinpah film in may ways than it does a Lucas one. In terms of plot, it's like a war film too. The final use of "May the Force be with you" is absolutely brilliant in this regard.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I can see how the two "revivals" of the series (the early aught Lucas prequels and late teen Disney sequels) suffer from opposite fates in some ways.

No one can accuse Lucas of a lack of ambition with those prequels. I hated them when they came out, but acknowledge that I was (like many people) an almost impossible fan to satisfy. What I admire in retrospect about those films is that he didn't just stop with an old formula -- he tried to reinvent the world as it would have been, utilizing state-of-the-art technology and drawing on his knowledge of film history in new ways.

While Abrams does succeed better at capturing the tone of what made the original trilogy so successful in The Force Awakens, he can be accused of simply repeating the same formulae (another Death Star?) As if acknowledging that, Johnson almost seemed like he was trying to overcorrect for those mistakes in The Last Jedi -- and pushed the franchise in ways a lot of people were not looking for (I admire the effort in a similar way I do the prequels).

To me, only Edwards succeeded at balancing innovation with reverence in Rogue One. It's very strange that he did that in such an odd, one-off kind of project. But there it is.
    I hope Abrams can accomplish something similar with The Rise of Skywalker, but I'm not holding my breath. That's just not his track record as a director.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-26-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post

I forgot about this. This is my new #1.
    Still better than TLJ.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

15. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (06-28-2019)

The Original trilogy was great. While you could say that there were some silly or cringy scenes that we all make fun of today, you could see that George Lucas not only had a great imagination to dream up this whole galaxy, but he was also a great student of film, paying homage to the greats of the past. You can see the influences of the classic epic Westerns and the samurai movies of Akira Kurosawa, and those scene wipes that call back to early German cinema. But the best thing about it was that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and the rest of the cast gave the characters life, passion, and humor.

The Prequels were terrible. The acting was stiff and flat, like a bunch of actors trying to do Shakespeare without understanding what the words actually mean. But then you add to that all the ridiculous CGI effects. Jar Jar Binks and the Gungans were terrible. The battle droids were silly and didn't have nearly the menace that the Stormtroopers did in the Original Trilogy, and Lucas' subtle homages to other genres became straight out blatant rips that seemed entirely out of place for a galaxy far far away. Let's have a podrace with awful announcing, just like sports broadcasting in the good old US of A! Need a detective? Obi Wan is on the case! Let's watch him play the part of hard-boiled detective, tracking down leads at his favorite 1940's diner. I seriously can't watch these films because of stuff like that. Of course, we should have been tipped off when Lucas released those special editions of the Original trilogy where he had Greedo shoot first and had the original Max Rebo band replaced with obnoxious CGI singers.

Rogue One was great. The Force Awakens was a pretty good, although I think they should have come up with a new idea rather than the whole Starkiller Base concept. You would think that, after the Rebellion destroyed two Death Stars, they would come up with a better idea than a giant planet destroying weapon that can be destroyed by a well coordinated attack. The Last Jedi was a mess, but had some good parts to it. I thought Solo was alright, but I think the story of young Han Solo probably would have been better served if it were a TV Series rather than a feature film. But still, all the new movies are better, IMO, than the Prequels.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-03-2019)

No one can accuse Lucas of a lack of ambition with those prequels.
    Yes, that's what I liked about them. And hated nearly everything else -- the CGI, the dumb (and often racist) characters, the stiff acting, the dumb dialogue.

Still, the dramatic arch development of slave kid Anakin Skywalker to proto-fascist Darth Vader was ambitious and could've have been very great indeed. Even with all the obvious defects, the prequels in some ways strike me as bigger movies than the current crop. And, no, I'm not sure how I'm defining "bigger" here.

Star Wars Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yes, that's what I liked about them. And hated nearly everything else -- the CGI, the dumb (and often racist) characters, the stiff acting, the dumb dialogue.

Still, the dramatic arch development of slave kid Anakin Skywalker to proto-fascist Darth Vader was ambitious and could've have been very great indeed. Even with all the obvious defects, the prequels in some ways strike me as bigger movies than the current crop. And, no, I'm not sure how I'm defining "bigger" here.
    Apparently, the CGI and stiff acting were intentional attempts by Lucas to go both reverently backwards (the films and their stately pace evoke the big screen grandeur of John Ford or David Lean) and ambitiously forwards (CGI as never seem before) at the same time. These elements failed for me as much as the narrative — but I actually find the attempt quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, the CGI and stiff acting were intentional attempts by Lucas to go both reverently backwards (the films and their stately pace evoke the big screen grandeur of John Ford or David Lean) and ambitiously forwards (CGI as never seem before) at the same time. These elements failed for me as much as the narrative — but I actually find the attempt quite interesting.

Yeah, I can actually see that. There was a grandeur to the films, but ultimately, a lot of schmaltz.

But that era was rife with a lot of homage and winky pop-culture reference stuff. I always found it a bit annoying and I did in the prequels as well. Star Wars needs to immerse you in a world not our own, not keep reminding you that it's a movie. The later Star Trek movies did that as well. The whole "hey the gang's back together again" stuff got old.

Here's a great list (trust me, it's related):

Whoa. While I’m all for sussing our genre hybridity, I’m not sure if go so far as putting A New Hope #1 on a list of the best all time!

That’s a cool video essay though, and reminded me of some of my faves. Haven’t seen #2, have you?

The GOAT western is clearly Tombstone, followed closely by Unforgiven.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?