Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees Targeting Luis Castillo

Re: Yankees Targeting Luis Castillo

The biggest overpay in the history of MLB....... and I still may be dissatisfied.
    May the Lord bless

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sorry yankees Jeter isn't running the Reds so they won't be giving away talent for jack squat like he does.
    Go Gators!

Maybe they can target Rookie Davis in a 3-way trade with PIT.

Or just go full circle and get Chapman back.

If I have to play the game I'd go....

Torres
    Frazier
    Deivi
    Gil
    Myatt

for

Castillo
    Peraza

Yankees targeting everyone because they are the Yankees and like the Lakers they have an inherent right to have all the good players from every team.

7. Likes:

Chip R (06-26-2019),Edd Roush (06-25-2019),HokieRed (06-25-2019),KronoRed (06-25-2019),malcontent (06-25-2019),OGB (06-26-2019),OhioRiverBarge (06-25-2019),Tony Cloninger (06-25-2019),wlf WV (06-25-2019),Wonderful Monds (06-25-2019)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Fuggedaboutit.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Only accept the moon, the stars and the sun. Under contract until the earth dissolves to just a blob of sand floating in space. That's only fair.. The Reds would of course trade them all away for a planet to be named later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Keep Castillo and build around him. The Reds never even come close to break it even in trades with the Yankees.
    Two (and a half) trades with the Yankees in which the Reds came out on top:

(1) December 12, 1989:
    Reds receive: 1B/OF Hal Morris and RHP Rodney Imes
    Yankees receive: RHP Tim Leary and OF Van Snider

This is a slam dunk win for the Reds. Morris was a key player in the 1990 World Championship season, and a solid performer for the Reds' offense for the better part of the 90's.

(2) July 12, 2000:
    Reds receive: RHP Brian Reith, LHP Ed Yarnall, 3B Drew Henson, and OF Jackson Melian
    Yankees receive: LHP Denny Neagle

At first glance, this looks like a major failure for the Reds, as only Reith ever made it to Cincinnati, and he was overwhelmed when he got there. However, Neagle had a poor half-season in the Bronx and then moved on to Colorado, where he ended his career with three very forgettable seasons. This trade, however, had a sequel:

(2A) March 21, 2001:
    Reds receive: OF Wily Mo Peņa
    Yankees receive: 3B Drew Henson and OF Michael Coleman

Henson was a very unhappy camper in the Reds organization, and demanded that the Reds trade him back to the Yankees or he would quit and join the NFL. Coleman allegedly found himself in the Reds' doghouse when he inadvertently parked in GM Jim Bowden's parking space at the Spring Training complex in Sarasota. Henson was shipped back to the Yankees along with Coleman for the enigmatic Peņa. Although WMP never reached the level of superstardom predicted for him, he had a couple of decent years for the Reds, and he undoubtedly had the best career of any of the seven players involved in the 2000/2001 trades from that point forward. Peņa was later traded to Boston for RHP Bronson Arroyo on March 20, 2006.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

757690 (06-25-2019),Always Red (06-25-2019),bottom_feeder (06-26-2019),cumberlandreds (06-26-2019),North (06-27-2019),OGB (06-26-2019),UKFlounder (06-25-2019)

Like people have said here the conversation would begin and end with Gleyber Torres. You have to get back a young all star level player for a guy like Castillo and then some. It would take an insane package. Personally I'm not against exploring the idea but the Yanks aren't a good fit IMO. I'd call the Ray's, Padres, and Braves. Start with 2 of their top 3 prospects and go from there.

Drew Henson. Perfect fit for that team. Self entitled and not happy unless he played for a big team. In either sport.

The Reds have never really been successful trading with the Yankees- if they are going to trade Castillo (which is a bit nuts IMO), I'd trade with someone else - The Yankee prospects always turn into pumpkins in Cincy. Unless I missed the Drew Henson HOF induction -- so if that's the case, I'm wrong.
    Where we gonna go?

I don't like this at all, don't like the idea of the Reds top starter hearing this and worrying about it in the middle of a season. I can't imagine the Yankees are really willing to give up fair value. Teams know which of their own players are overrated as prospects better than the team trading for those players. Kansas City knew Lamb and Finnegan were head cases when they traded them. I would want players who have done it at the big league level and it is hard to see the Yankees providing what it would take. So it is all just a distraction for Castillo.

16. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-26-2019),RED VAN HOT (06-25-2019),wlf WV (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Two (and a half) trades with the Yankees in which the Reds came out on top:

(1) December 12, 1989:
    Reds receive: 1B/OF Hal Morris and RHP Rodney Imes
    Yankees receive: RHP Tim Leary and OF Van Snider

This is a slam dunk win for the Reds. Morris was a key player in the 1990 World Championship season, and a solid performer for the Reds' offense for the better part of the 90's.

(2) July 12, 2000:
    Reds receive: RHP Brian Reith, LHP Ed Yarnall, 3B Drew Henson, and OF Jackson Melian
    Yankees receive: LHP Denny Neagle

At first glance, this looks like a major failure for the Reds, as only Reith ever made it to Cincinnati, and he was overwhelmed when he got there. However, Neagle had a poor half-season in the Bronx and then moved on to Colorado, where he ended his career with three very forgettable seasons. This trade, however, had a sequel:

(2A) March 21, 2001:
    Reds receive: OF Wily Mo Peņa
    Yankees receive: 3B Drew Henson and OF Michael Coleman

Henson was a very unhappy camper in the Reds organization, and demanded that the Reds trade him back to the Yankees or he would quit and join the NFL. Coleman allegedly found himself in the Reds' doghouse when he inadvertently parked in GM Jim Bowden's parking space at the Spring Training complex in Sarasota. Henson was shipped back to the Yankees along with Coleman for the enigmatic Peņa. Although WMP never reached the level of superstardom predicted for him, he had a couple of decent years for the Reds, and he undoubtedly had the best career of any of the seven players involved in the 2000/2001 trades from that point forward. Peņa was later traded to Boston for RHP Bronson Arroyo on March 20, 2006.
    Thanks for the info.
    Crazy Reds Fan

The hardest thing for an organization like the Reds to do is obtain TOR (1/2) starters - those they develop even moreso. Would really a tough pill to swallow sending them somewhere else - especially if that someone is the Skanks. I realize even the best starters are a crap shoot because of injury risk, so I wouldn't call him untouchable, but they really need to make whoever the deal him to squeal really loudly at the cost in talent. If it's NY, then they'd need to add even another warm body.

Personally, I'd rather they pursued a deal to buy our arb years and a FA year or two first.

The hardest thing for a small market team to find is an ace.

The Yankees won't pay the price it'll take to get Castillo.

Also, some more wisdom from Chris Moore

Learned a lot on twitter today. Starting pitching is the most coveted asset in baseball according to fans. I'm glad the Yanks don't believe that, games would be a lot duller. They may not win the title, but they're the most entertaining team in baseball. And, btw, they may
    Fairly certain he doesn't know what he's talking about.

20. Likes:

I(heart)Freel (06-30-2019)

Turn Off Ads?