Thread: RIP Tyler Skaggs

Re: RIP Tyler Skaggs

Very Sad. RIP Tyler
    The Stop And Chat

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Weird they’re all pitchers too.
    There was another pitcher I just thought of- Steve Belcher in '03. He was a big guy, and if I remember right he was taking some kind of supplement (legal, at least at the time) to help him lose weight.

edit: man, I just thought of two more pitchers- Donnie Moore (Angles) and Don Wilson (Astros). And one of my all time favorites, JR Richards, almost died from a stroke.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 07-02-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    There was another pitcher I just thought of- Steve Belcher in '03. He was a big guy, and if I remember right he was taking some kind of supplement (legal, at least at the time) to help him lose weight.

edit: man, I just thought of two more pitchers- Donnie Moore (Angles) and Don Wilson (Astros). And one of my all time favorites, JR Richards, almost died from a stroke.
    I think Belcher was one of many ephedra linked deaths around that time.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

5. Likes:

Chip R (07-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I read this, saw the age (27), and saw it from the perspective of "That's the age of my kids!". All I can say, as a parent, is that I don't know if I could handle something like this happening to one of my kids. I think it would almost destroy me because the grief would be unimaginable. So my heartfelt prayers go out to his parents and family at this time. I can only imagine what they are going through because, again, this is their kid.
    Absolutely..unimaginable grief. Last year around this time my son had been drinking heavily, had/has heart problems and became suicidal over all his own self imposed bad luck so I was bracing for the worst. Luckily since then he's turned things around, but I still have lingering worries he'll slip back into the same behavior. He lives in Columbus and I'm in SC.. I've often thought of moving back there, but I'd have to leave the Mrs and abandon my 90 yr old dad so that's not happening. It's tough being a parent to kids you love so much regardless of their behavior..

What an awful reminder of how fragile life is. Prayers for his family, friends and teammates.

RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

8. Likes:

Chip R (07-02-2019),Old school 1983 (07-02-2019),Revering4Blue (07-02-2019)

Possibly understated at this time is the incredible stress these young athletes are putting on their bodies when they should be just enjoying life as opposed to putting enormous stress on themselves to excel at everything they do..
    Then again throughout history we as a species have always used young men in many horrible ways we don't usually think about ranging from being soldiers and dying in wars to just performing manual labor that beats the body down prematurely..
    I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing I had passed on some of the jobs I did as a young man that now are still raising its ugly head in the form of old injuries, arthritis, heart problems, etc.. Some of these athletes today and just destroying their bodies hoping to find gold in inflated salaries. Some make it, but most never do.. I doubt it'll ever change for the better..

10. Likes:

Rojo (07-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    Possibly understated at this time is the incredible stress these young athletes are putting on their bodies when they should be just enjoying life as opposed to putting enormous stress on themselves to excel at everything they do..
    Then again throughout history we as a species have always used young men in many horrible ways we don't usually think about ranging from being soldiers and dying in wars to just performing manual labor that beats the body down prematurely..
    I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing I had passed on some of the jobs I did as a young man that now are still raising its ugly head in the form of old injuries, arthritis, heart problems, etc.. Some of these athletes today and just destroying their bodies hoping to find gold in inflated salaries. Some make it, but most never do.. I doubt it'll ever change for the better..
    Well, I'll nominate this for the strangest take on the situation so far. Dude was a pitcher. Pretty sure that didn't kill him.

Name:  676E73D0-B848-4B1F-9217-A1EAAF9D6929.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  100.5 KB
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-15-2019),Edd Roush (07-03-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Pair of Angels no-hit Mariners on emotional night

The Angels honored the late Tyler Skaggs in a perfect way Friday night, as Taylor Cole and Felix Pena combined to throw the 11th no-hitter in franchise history while all wearing Skaggs’ No. 45 jersey in a 13-0 win over the Mariners at Angel Stadium.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

Chip R (07-15-2019),cumberlandreds (07-15-2019),Rojo (07-14-2019),Rolando (07-13-2019),UKFlounder (07-13-2019)

What a great way to honor someone that they loved I'm lost too soon I'm definitely pulling for the Angels the rest of the season except the two games they play here in Cincinnati of course. :-) r i p Tyler rest easy
    Crazy Reds Fan

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-15-2019),Rojo (07-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Well, I'll nominate this for the strangest take on the situation so far. Dude was a pitcher. Pretty sure that didn't kill him.
    And I'll nominate this as the strangest take on a take I've ever seen.

Yes, ballplayers are well-paid. But in the end they are bodies that are physically exploited for profit.

The NFL now wants to expand the season to 18 games after all we know about CTE.

That's all I need to know. Get rid of owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

Yes, ballplayers are well-paid. But in the end they are bodies that are physically exploited for profit.

Well without owners there wouldn't be athletes athletes. I think would happen will Skaggs was just a horrible tragedy. Though I do agree the 80 game NFL schedule would be ridiculous
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

A guy throwing a baseball and guys bashing each other's brains out are not close to the same thing.

21. Likes:

Always Red (07-13-2019),Patrick Bateman (07-13-2019),Rolando (07-13-2019)

Anybody see his mom throw out the first pitch?! Perfect strike off the rubber

The last combination no-hitter was July 13, 1991, the day Skaggs was born.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    The last combination no-hitter was July 13, 1991, the day Skaggs was born.
    in the AL, that is.

Turn Off Ads?