RP- Kevin Gregg, Brad Lesley, Ryan Wagner, Jim Kern, Curtis Parch

Re: all time worst reds team

excellent work by tracy
    dont forget neftali soto and nick christiani

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Geez.

C - Dan Wilson
    1B - I haven't been alive for many bad ones. Scott Hatteberg, I guess? Tim Costo?
    2B - Jeff Treadway
    SS - Royce Clayton
    3B - Nick Esasky. Played 3B in 1984 and hit .193. The first year I can even remember baseball.
    OF - Herm Winningham
    OF - Van Snider
    OF - Corey Patterson

SP: Joey Hamilton, Eric Milton, Jimmy Haynes, Brian Reith, Tim Pugh
    RP: Kevin Gregg, Jerry Spradlin, Kevin Jarvis, Danny Graves 2002-, JJ Groover, Gary Majewski

MGR Bob Boone
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 07-10-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Removed Keppinger for Royce Clayton
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Geez.

C - Dan Wilson
    1B - I haven't been alive for many bad ones. Scott Hatteberg, I guess? Tim Costo?
    2B - Jeff Treadway
    SS - Jeff Keppinger
    3B - Nick Esasky. Played 3B in 1984 and hit .193. The first year I can even remember baseball.
    OF - Herm Winningham
    OF - Van Snider
    OF - Corey Patterson

SP: Joey Hamilton, Eric Milton, Jimmy Haynes, Brian Reith, Tim Pugh
    RP: Kevin Gregg, Jerry Spradlin, Kevin Jarvis, Danny Graves 2002-, JJ Groover, Gary Majewski

MGR Bob Boone
    JEFF KEPPINGER???? The guy hit .332 with an OBP of .400 in one of his 2 years here.

I'll go along with most of the rest. However, Nick Esasky took some time to get going in the Majors and it looked like he was ready to take off when Vertigo shut down his career. What is it with the name Nick and vertigo?

I'll offer an alternative at 3rd base. John Vukovich. He's the guy that Pete Rose replaced in 1975. From Vukovich's own mouth: "Sparky Anderson pinched hit for me in the first inning" Now that's bad. Not too sure, but it might have been the top of the first. And he would've been batting 8th? Meaning the Reds already put runs on the board and were leading.
    Last edited by foster15; 07-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.

dick gernert belongs on the dquad along with Hank Foiles and Dutch Dotterer

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    JEFF KEPPINGER???? The guy hit .332 with an OBP of .400 in one of his 2 years here.

I'll go along with most of the rest. However, Nick Esasky took some time to get going in the Majors and it looked like he was ready to take off when Vertigo shut down his career. What is it with the name Nick and vertigo?

I'll offer an alternative at 3rd base. John Vukovich. He's the guy that Pete Rose replaced in 1975. From Vukovich's own mouth: "Sparky Anderson pinched hit for me in the first inning" Now that's bad. Not too sure, but it might have been the top of the first. And he would've been batting 8th? Meaning the Reds already put runs on the board and were leading.
    I started watching baseball in 1984, and I barely remember it. Barely understood it. So that's as far back as I went.

Maybe my memory of Jeff Keppinger fails me.

I'll bite with an attempt to fill this out with starters who played during my lifetime 1986+

C - Tucker Barnhart
    1B - Benzinger
    2B - Bret Boone
    SS - Orlando Cabrera
    3B - Jeff Branson
    LF - Bily Hatcher
    CF - Wily Taveras
    RF - Dante Bichette

SP - Eric Milton
    SP - Ramon Ortiz
    SP - Rob Bell
    SP - Ryan Dempster
    SP - Kevin Jarvis

RP - Mike Lincoln
    RP - Brian Reith
    RP - Todd Coffey
    RP - JJ Hoover
    RP - Kevin Gregg
    CL - Danny Graves
    Last edited by Griffey012; 07-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

10. Likes:

mth123 (07-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I'll bit with an attempt to fill this out with starters who played during my lifetime 1986+

C - Tucker Barnhart
    1B - Benzinger
    2B - Bret Boone
    SS - Orlando Cabrera
    3B - Jeff Branson
    LF - Bily Hatcher
    CF - Wily Taveras
    RF - Dante Bichette

SP - Eric Milton
    SP - Ramon Ortiz
    SP - Rob Bell
    SP - Ryan Dempster
    SP - Kevin Jarvis

RP - Mike Lincoln
    RP - Brian Reith
    RP - Todd Coffey
    RP - JJ Hoover
    RP - Kevin Gregg
    CL - Danny Graves
    Wow, what a list. Some I feel you hit the nail on the head(Bichette, Milton, Hoover, Gregg, Taveras), some I can go either way with(Cabrera, Branson, Coffey) and some I just don't get(Graves, Boone, Hatcher).

But the one I laugh at is Benzinger. Weakest hitting 1st baseman I can remember and certainly the weakest on a world champion. Thank the lord that Hal Morris rescued us. But here's the thing, if he would've dropped that last out in the 1990 world series, he'd be on my list easily, but he caught it so he gets a pass.

12. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I started watching baseball in 1984, and I barely remember it. Barely understood it. So that's as far back as I went.

Maybe my memory of Jeff Keppinger fails me.
    Btw, just to see if he was really that bad, I looked up John Vukovich' stats. He played 10 seasons in the majors and his career AB added up to about a single season. His BA was .161 and his OBP was .203. And for some reason, somebody in the organization thought he was the answer at 3rd base for the BRM. Sparky must have been very Salty about being saddled with this guy and showed it twice, once by pinch hitting for him in the first inning and then by asking Pete to move to 3rd.

Btw, just to see if he was really that bad, I looked up John Vukovich' stats. He played 10 seasons in the majors and his career AB added up to about a single season. His BA was .161 and his OBP was .203. And for some reason, somebody in the organization thought he was the answer at 3rd base for the BRM. Sparky must have been very Salty about being saddled with this guy and showed it twice, once by pinch hitting for him in the first inning and then by asking Pete to move to 3rd.
    He sure sounds like a bum.

Wow, what a list. Some I feel you hit the nail on the head(Bichette, Milton, Hoover, Gregg, Taveras), some I can go either way with(Cabrera, Branson, Coffey) and some I just don't get(Graves, Boone, Hatcher).

But the one I laugh at is Benzinger. Weakest hitting 1st baseman I can remember and certainly the weakest on a world champion. Thank the lord that Hal Morris rescued us. But here's the thing, if he would've dropped that last out in the 1990 world series, he'd be on my list easily, but he caught it so he gets a pass.
    2B was a hard one to pick because it has been a lot of meh outside of BP. One could argue Pokey Reese, Boone, Todd Walker, among others. I went with Boone just because I tend to think people view him as a lot better than he was with the Reds due to his great stretch with the Mariners later in his career.

I loved OCab during his year here but the reality is he put up some pretty poor offensive numbers. Graves is mostly the result of the Reds having pretty good closers for a while, it probably came down to him or David Weathers, both of which filled their role just fine.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I think Howsam went out of his way to find defense at 3rd base after Driessen's debacle at trying to play there. I'm sure Sparky didn't like that and pinch hitting for him the first inning was his way of showing it. I think I remember that happening but don't remember who it was against. Vukovich was terrible and should never have been signed. I read in later years he was very bitter at Sparky about how he was handled. But he wasn't very good and was put in a bad spot.

I think I found the game in which he was pinched hit for early. It was actually in the 2nd inning. Driessen PH for him. The Reds had a rally going and Sparky pulled the plug on him. It was April 16,1975. Looks like about the 9th game of the year. So I'm sure Sparky had this planned out and got the opportunity early in the season to do it.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...160LAN1975.htm
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 07-10-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

17. Likes:

foster15 (07-10-2019)

I just checked his career stats. What a travesty.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ukovjo01.shtml

If were going to do this right we ought to have some requirement that they had more than 300 abs. Cesar Hernandez played a grand total of 13 games in CF.

CA: Paul Bako
    1b: Todd Benzinger
    2b: Pokey Reese
    3b: Brandon Larson
    SS: Royce Clayton/Edgar Renteria Both came here past their primes and about the "best of the worst" for the position we've had.
    LF: Paul Householder
    CF: Corey Patterson/Willy Tavares PLATOON! Double the suck!
    RF: Eric Owens

I'm only doing SP, we've had our fair share of bad relievers but I can't really stick anyone here based on 20 IP or they had a decent season then fell apart.

Ace: John... no James... no Andrew... no no no what was his name... Dean? No that's not it... DAVE WILLIAMS (exception to the limited innings because THAT was what we got for Casey)
    SP: Eric Milton
    SP: Steve Avery
    SP: Jose Acevado (I remember having discussions that he would turn into at least a back end starting pitcher... OOPS).
    SP: Ryan Dumpster Fire... I mean Dempster
    SP: Joey Hamilton
    SP: Brandon Claussen
    SP: Elizardo Ramirez (another guy I completely WHIFFED on).

Honorable Mention: Joe Valentine... Remember when it was thought he was the "big acquisition" in the Jose Guillen deal?
    Last edited by Slyder; 07-11-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?