Re: all time worst reds team

valentine was the answer to ryne duren

2. Turn Off Ads?

“All time worst Reds team” would equate to most losses:

1982 - 101 losses
    1934 - 98 losses
    2015 - 98 losses

Attending the 2015 season, Mike Leake lost 10 games.

One of those losses was by 1-2 score:

April 19th, 2015 - 3rd game start for the Cincinnati Reds in 2015 - 3rd game appearance for the Cincinnati Reds in 2015 - 145th career game start - 150th career game appearance - a complete game loss (8 innings) - 1-2

GO SUNDEVIL BASEBALL

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    2B was a hard one to pick because it has been a lot of meh outside of BP. One could argue Pokey Reese, Boone, Todd Walker, among others. I went with Boone just because I tend to think people view him as a lot better than he was with the Reds due to his great stretch with the Mariners later in his career.

I loved OCab during his year here but the reality is he put up some pretty poor offensive numbers. Graves is mostly the result of the Reds having pretty good closers for a while, it probably came down to him or David Weathers, both of which filled their role just fine.
    2nd base would be difficult to pick. Reds have been pretty solid there either defensively, offensively or both. I can't put Pokey down there though because IMO, he was the Reds' 2nd best fielding 2nd baseman of all-time next to BP. He was kind of Concepcion like at 2nd as he covered more ground than anyone I'd ever seen play the position.

But here's maybe a list to chose from: Kennedy, Jimenez, Womack.

Are we only doing guys that were primarily a starter for at least one year, because if not Skip Schumacher and his 180 innings at 2B could be the answer.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Wow, what a list. Some I feel you hit the nail on the head(Bichette, Milton, Hoover, Gregg, Taveras), some I can go either way with(Cabrera, Branson, Coffey) and some I just don't get(Graves, Boone, Hatcher).

But the one I laugh at is Benzinger. Weakest hitting 1st baseman I can remember and certainly the weakest on a world champion. Thank the lord that Hal Morris rescued us. But here's the thing, if he would've dropped that last out in the 1990 world series, he'd be on my list easily, but he caught it so he gets a pass.
    Bichette had an .819 OPS as a Red.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

7. Likes:

marcshoe (07-10-2019),Old school 1983 (07-11-2019),Rantly (07-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    2nd base would be difficult to pick. Reds have been pretty solid there either defensively, offensively or both. I can't put Pokey down there though because IMO, he was the Reds' 2nd best fielding 2nd baseman of all-time next to BP. He was kind of Concepcion like at 2nd as he covered more ground than anyone I'd ever seen play the position.

But here's maybe a list to chose from: Kennedy, Jimenez, Womack.
    It was also extra limited options because I only went with starting type players. That removes Womack who had 23 PA's, I am not sure who Kennedy is. Jimenez had a good little two year run with the Reds. Pokey was amazing in the field but hit like Billy Hamilton. I agree the Reds have had a lot of second baseman who could either hit or field, but BP is really the only one who sticks out that could do both.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I seem to recall Junior Kennedy hitting a grand slam against the Cubs. This alone should absolve him from any such list.

Quote Originally Posted by Umkubas View Post
    “All time worst Reds team” would equate to most losses:

1982 - 101 losses
    1934 - 98 losses
    2015 - 98 losses

Attending the 2015 season, Mike Leake lost 10 games.

One of those losses was by 1-2 score:

April 19th, 2015 - 3rd game start for the Cincinnati Reds in 2015 - 3rd game appearance for the Cincinnati Reds in 2015 - 145th career game start - 150th career game appearance - a complete game loss (8 innings) - 1-2

GO SUNDEVIL BASEBALL
    thanks man
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

Rantly (07-10-2019),Wonderful Monds (07-10-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If were going to do this right we ought to have some requirement that they had more than 300 abs. Cesar Hernandez played a grand total of 13 games in CF.

CA: Paul Bako
    1b: Todd Benzinger
    2b: Pokey Reese
    3b: Brandon Larson
    LF: Chris Stynes
    CF: Corey Patterson/Willy Tavares PLATOON! Double the suck!
    RF: Eric Owens

I'm only doing SP, we've had our fair share of bad relievers but I can't really stick anyone here based on 20 IP or they had a decent season then fell apart.

Ace: John... no James... no Andrew... no no no what was his name... Dean? No that's not it... DAVE WILLIAMS (exception to the limited innings because THAT was what we got for Casey)
    SP: Eric Milton
    SP: Steve Avery
    SP: Jose Acevado (I remember having discussions that he would turn into at least a back end starting pitcher... OOPS).
    SP: Ryan Dumpster Fire... I mean Dempster
    SP: Joey Hamilton
    SP: Brandon Claussen
    SP: Elizardo Ramirez (another guy I completely WHIFFED on).

Honorable Mention: Joe Valentine... Remember when it was thought he was the "big acquisition" in the Jose Guillen deal?
    You didn't give us a SS. I suggest you parrot my selection of Royce Clayton.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

13. Likes:

marcshoe (07-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    You didn't give us a SS. I suggest you parrot my selection of Royce Clayton.
    We've been spoiled:

https://redlegnation.com/2009/05/10/...tstop-history/

I'm gonna take another look.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    It was also extra limited options because I only went with starting type players. That removes Womack who had 23 PA's, I am not sure who Kennedy is. Jimenez had a good little two year run with the Reds. Pokey was amazing in the field but hit like Billy Hamilton. I agree the Reds have had a lot of second baseman who could either hit or field, but BP is really the only one who sticks out that could do both.
    Junior Kennedy split the starting 2B job with rookie Ron Oester in 1980. IIRC, Kennedy was the Opening Day starter and held the job for the first half of the season. Around the end of July, Oester took over the job and never gave it back.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Catcher- Bill Plummer .188 career batting ave

Josh Fogg has to be on the pitching staff. He had like a 7.25 ERA and actually started 14 games that year he was with us (2008). I went to the Atlanta series that year, and Bronson had one of his duds where he gave up 7 runs in the 1st and got only one out. Anyway, Glavine is pithing for Atlanta, and we knock him out in the 5th cutting the lead to 7-5. Fogg comes in and gave up like 6 runs in the B5 to pretty much seal our fate. That guy was the bane of my existence.

Quote Originally Posted by The Villian View Post
    Catcher- Bill Plummer .188 career batting ave
    When he was a Red he was thought of as the best backup catcher you could have to Johnny Bench. Didn't realize he hit so low but he had a cannon for an arm and handled pitchers really well.

19. Likes:

Backup Catcher (03-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    I seem to recall Junior Kennedy hitting a grand slam against the Cubs. This alone should absolve him from any such list.
    Meh. That was back when the Cubs weren't in our division and were the lovable losers. They meant nothing to Reds fans. He's back on the list.

21. Likes:

Big Klu (07-10-2019)

Turn Off Ads?