Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Paul Brown Stadium

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Paul Brown Stadium

I'm surprised there isn't an all-encompassing thread for PBS issues, so here we are.

Anyway, this came out today...

Officials Respond To Public Records Request On Bengals' New Stadium Deal With 275 Pages Of Redactions

It is not exaggeration to say that the Cincinnati Bengals’ revised stadium lease with Hamilton County, agreed in November 2018, is still largely secret. Among the many figures that weren’t released at the time the agreement was announced was how much the county—and thus, taxpayers—will be spending to buy land near the stadium to be used for parking and a new indoor practice facility.

It is also not exaggeration to say that Cincinnati has the worst stadium deal in America. As of 2016, taxpayers had spent $920 million to build and operate Paul Brown Stadium, which opened in 2000. That figure is expected to climb well above $1 billion by the conclusion of the lease.

And so it would not be anywhere near exaggeration to say that it’s very important for citizens to know what’s in this new lease, and how much they’re paying, and that there’s absolutely no reason to trust their county commissioners’ words on the deal without seeing for themselves.

The Cincinnati Enquirer attempted to do just that, filing a public records request, for, well, public records. The paper asked for all documents related to the lease negotiations. They received a whole lot of magic marker.
    The link has the entire set of records for your bedtime reading pleasure.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul Brown Stadium

Evict them. City will be just fine without an NFL team.

Demolish the stadium, build a world class arena, get an NHL or NBA team, blow up the old arena and build the Reds a roof.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 07-10-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't an all-encompassing thread for PBS issues, so here we are.

Anyway, this came out today...

Officials Respond To Public Records Request On Bengals' New Stadium Deal With 275 Pages Of Redactions

The link has the entire set of records for your bedtime reading pleasure.
    It's not surprising because there's no news here. We already knew that our politicians sold us out on this deal and we knew a lot of it we'll never see. It's been that way for 20 yrs

It's wild that nobody really ever faced consequences for any of this. Mike Brown robbed the city, hired the guy that gave him the deal, and it's just ok I guess.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

6. Likes:

BillDoran (07-10-2019),Chip R (07-12-2019),Kingspoint (07-12-2019),Revering4Blue (07-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's wild that nobody really ever faced consequences for any of this. Mike Brown robbed the city, hired the guy that gave him the deal, and it's just ok I guess.
    I guess in terms of prison no one did, but it’s hard to say there haven’t been consequences. There aren’t any other fan bases that have as much hatred and distrust towards a teams ownership group than Bengals fans do (the Knicks maybe?). It’s absolutely had ramifications in terms of attendance and local interest in the team.

Cincinnati Councilors and Mayors...the gifts that keep on giving. The people elected them. They get what they deserve.

It could be worse. They could be Portland's Counsilors and Mayors.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-10-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The best thing to happen that won't, is for the county to let the lease expire, wave goodbye to the Bengals, and open the field up for high school games/concerts/events.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The best thing to happen that won't, is for the county to let the lease expire, wave goodbye to the Bengals, and open the field up for high school games/concerts/events.
    City doesnt bring in other events now as it is, what makes you think they would bring events in if the Bengals left?

City was so happy with that, then went 20 years latter and sign a new deal with a new team and the same guy, lol.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Dang I feel sorry for the people of Cincy.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-12-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I wonder if Newport will make a bid for the Bengals if Hamilton county doesn’t want to build another stadium when the lease is up. There’s been sort of a back and forth competition between Newport and the Banks with the music venues and skywheel stuff, and Newport was gunning hard for FC Cincinnati while that was up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I wonder if Newport will make a bid for the Bengals if Hamilton county doesn’t want to build another stadium when the lease is up. There’s been sort of a back and forth competition between Newport and the Banks with the music venues and skywheel stuff, and Newport was gunning hard for FC Cincinnati while that was up in the air.
    I'd hope Northern Kentucky isn't that dumb, now those counties north of town might do something like that, the Butler county Bengals of Cincinnati.
    Go Gators!

That's the modus operandi everywhere in the World, with nobody more blatant about it than the U.S. Senate and U.S. Congress.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    City doesnt bring in other events now as it is, what makes you think they would bring events in if the Bengals left?
    That's a 45000 capacity outdoor stadium. It would attract big ticket artists during the warmer months.

Right now it's used 10 times a year. That's lame.

When the Bengals leave, I think the city should throw a party.

The entertainment value to cost ratio they have provided sucks donkey toes.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-13-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'd hope Northern Kentucky isn't that dumb, now those counties north of town might do something like that, the Butler county Bengals of Cincinnati.
    Both Newport and the Banks committee have been acting very dumb lately, hence why we’re about to have two competing giant Ferris wheels on each side of the river soon. I wouldn’t put it past them to try to draw the Bengals over to Kentucky the way things have been going the last handful of months.

Turn Off Ads?