Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Re: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I didn’t think Acosta played that poorly, sure you’re not confusing him with McKenzie?

John brooks is rock solid.

Totally agree about Ream. Dude is just not good.
    Agree I think Acosta is pretty solid. He’s also in there because Adams wasn’t 90 minutes ready. He’s still a great substitute option.

Ream is just getting old. Long tore his ACL and not sure why Miazga wasn’t out there instead.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Thoughts:

1. Rarely has a team deserved to lose a game more than Mexico did last night.

2. Note where the standout performers play their club games. The present and future for the USMT is players getting regular work in Europe. For a lot of those guys, the quality Mexico is putting on the field isn't anything special compared to what they see every week, and it showed.

3. Time to lose Tim Ream's phone number.

4. I second the sentiment about the commentary. Very well done. Kate Abdo also seemed to like working with them a lot better than the knuckleheads she gets saddled with on their Champions League coverage.
    Oguchi Onyewu shouting "I'll jump over this table and choke you" was a bit awkward though.
    Overall, I thought all the commentators were interesting, but their interactions seemed like they had just met one another 5 minutes before going on set. A little spontaneity is certainly preferable to the programmed fake laughs you see on most pre-game shows, but i felt like they were skidding around the race track backwards and on flames at times.

Like adkindo, I don't watch nearly enough to understand what constitutes a yellow card/red card. I was surprised that Guardado's takedown of Pulisic in the final minutes didn't garner a stronger response though. First he leg whips Pulisic to the ground, then he tries to pick him up to force the US into playing their free kick faster. I don't care what the situation is, if a player's on the ground(especially after a foul), I'd think any contact above offering a hand up is an automatic card.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Guardado is an always has been a complete *******
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I didn’t think Acosta played that poorly, sure you’re not confusing him with McKenzie?

John brooks is rock solid.

Totally agree about Ream. Dude is just not good. He works his butt off and I respect him for that, but he’s just lacking quality.
    I thought Acosta, Ream, and McKenzie all looked in over their heads in this game, but I have more hope for McKenzie down the road given his age and lack of experience.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

6. Likes:

M2 (06-07-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I thought Acosta, Ream, and McKenzie all looked in over their heads in this game, but I have more hope for McKenzie down the road given his age and lack of experience.
    I was also afraid of getting over my skis tactically but the other thing that surprised me was that if Tim Ream has any qualities as a back, its his ability to move forward and add numbers to the attack(i'll leave it to others to tell me if he's actually any good at that, or his ability to get forward in attack is just a euphamistic way of saying his defense sucks.) There's certainly situations where that can be useful.
    But if you're going to play only 3 on the back line, I'd think, getting forward should be the last concern, and you really need those three to be locked in defensively above all else.

Maybe I was reading everything wrong, but it just seemed like a weird matchup of actual skills and what was going to work best.
    Of course the whole formation went to hell anyway when they gave up a goal so early so maybe it's much ado about nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Both penalties were correct IMO. The Mexican defender did not make a play on the ball and intentional or not our player clearly had his arm away from his body.

9. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-07-2021),M2 (06-07-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-07-2021),schmidty622 (06-07-2021)

Really dsigraceful actions by the fans....they even hit their own player when 16 ducked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgqfxS9Ou1w
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-07-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Really dsigraceful actions by the fans....they even hit their own player when 16 ducked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgqfxS9Ou1w
    That was spectacular.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    McKenzie seems to have the instinct to play out of the back. Plus, he's got the requisite pace not to be a turnstile. He's all kinds of green, but he's got the foundation of a modern game. He also grew up near where I did (though much later). So I root for him.

Ream's got effort for days, but he's almost useless on a team where the back line needs to feed McKennie and Adams (and eventually Musuh) to establish a possession game.

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-07-2021)

Good to know they made some arrests including the person who hit Reyna

https://twitter.com/EmpowerField/sta...43053297209346

15. Likes:

IslandRed (06-08-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-08-2021)

BTW I still think Pulisic is the best American player. He's the only player that has 1 vs 1 skills that plays at the highest levels. See below his goal in the Champion's League semi's vs Real Madrid, which BTW was his fourth goal in 6 starts against the highest level of competition in the world. IMO he is not being utilized properly by Berhalter's system. He needs way more touches and opportunities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ayOZTvAJg
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-08-2021 at 03:03 PM.

BTW I still think Pulisic is the best American player. He's the only player that has 1 vs 1 skills that plays at the highest levels. See below his goal in the Champion's League semi's vs Real Madrid, which BTW was his fourth goal in 6 starts against the highest level of competition in the world. IMO he is not being utilized properly by Berhalter's system. He needs way more touches and opportunities...

The way he'll get more touches is better buildup from the back through the middle. If they drop him back for more touches, he won't have the space to operate 1v1. They tried that with Landon in 2006 and it did not work. I'm hoping the U.S. lands on a 4-3-3 with Pulisic and Reyna flanking whoever wins that center forward gig.

Side note, Reyna (Borussia Dortmund) is also playing at an extremely high level and has sick 1v1 skills. McKennie (Juventus) and Adams (Leipzig) are also playing top tier football, though they work more in the engine room. Just noting the U.S. is starting to amass an impressive list of guys playing at top club sides.

18. Likes:

DocRed (06-08-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-08-2021)

I think as Reyna gets more experience he and Pulisic are going to be a lethal combo.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

DocRed (06-08-2021)

The USMNT is supposed to beat up Martinique, and it did. Nice games from a whole lot of young players. Wonder if European club scouts have got their eyes on this tournament. Got to think Daryl Dike, Gianluca Busio and James Sands are ready for the challenge.

22. Likes:

Chip R (07-16-2021)

Hoppe, Dike, Busio all playing for trips to Qatar next Summer.

Dike looked the part. Would love to see him with Pulisic/Reyna/Adams/McKennie to see the potential we could have.

Turn Off Ads?