Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Re: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I watched the Japan game but not the Saudi game. For the life of me I don't get why there are some players who continue to hold down start spots when they just aren't that good. You can't tell me that Zimmerman and Long are better than Brooks, there is no way.

I have seen enough of Ferreria to know he isn't it right now. Their strikers seem to have difficulty finding the back of the net, which doesn't inspire much confidence.

I guess we will see when it come WC time, but if they continue to run the guys out there they have been, they will be out in the group stage.
    I agree with your overall point, but Zimmerman was quite good throught qualifying. No idea why Aaron long is on this roster. He is terrible.

Ferreria I can see as the last guy on the bench, but shouldn't be starting and should absolutely not be taking a roster spot from Pefok.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

M2 (09-30-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree with your overall point, but Zimmerman was quite good throught qualifying. No idea why Aaron long is on this roster. He is terrible.

Ferreria I can see as the last guy on the bench, but shouldn't be starting and should absolutely not be taking a roster spot from Pefok.
    Zimmerman is a career MLS player. He should be fine, pretty good in CONCACAF because the vast majority of those players are MLS or below players. Its when the quality improves, Zimmerman is out of his league.

The US has World Cup quality all over its roster but if you have a weak link at D, it will get exploited. Problem I see is Zimmerman has played D for pretty much the entire qualifying, he will play in the tournament. I just don't think he is good enough.

Zimmerman is a career MLS player. He should be fine, pretty good in CONCACAF because the vast majority of those players are MLS or below players. Its when the quality improves, Zimmerman is out of his league.

The US has World Cup quality all over its roster but if you have a weak link at D, it will get exploited. Problem I see is Zimmerman has played D for pretty much the entire qualifying, he will play in the tournament. I just don't think he is good enough.
    I know who Zimmerman is.

With that said, I get your point, but he is not remotely close to the biggest issue on this team. He is also a leader.

Just because he plays in the MLS doesn't mean he is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

In the SA game Long did hit a gorgeous 30-yard cross to a wide open SA player, creating a big chance. He could not have done a better job of springing an attacker.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-30-2022)

I know this is a USMNT thread, but can someone please tell me the logic of building out from the back? It just seems like a horrible idea and even worse when put into practice. I was at a college game this weekend and the opposing team built out from the back and led to a goal on a bad pass to the goalie and too many chances. Nothing is like a team building out from the back only to lose possession before midfield. The USMNT is terrible at this.

I know this is a USMNT thread, but can someone please tell me the logic of building out from the back? It just seems like a horrible idea and even worse when put into practice. I was at a college game this weekend and the opposing team built out from the back and led to a goal on a bad pass to the goalie and too many chances. Nothing is like a team building out from the back only to lose possession before midfield. The USMNT is terrible at this.
    It's what good teams do. If you want to win stuff, you need to be able to control the ball in every phase of the field. If you're just going to hoof it, that's like punting on first down. Maybe you'll get a lucky bounce, but more likely the other team is coming right back at you. Even if you're not great at building out of the back, you're at least building toward competence by trying it.

And the USMNT is all right at it, mostly thanks to Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's what good teams do. If you want to win stuff, you need to be able to control the ball in every phase of the field. If you're just going to hoof it, that's like punting on first down. Maybe you'll get a lucky bounce, but more likely the other team is coming right back at you. Even if you're not great at building out of the back, you're at least building toward competence by trying it.

And the USMNT is all right at it, mostly thanks to Adams.
    Even on Goal Kicks? It seems like this backfires more often than not. I get possession and controlling the game, I don't get teams who continue to play GK's to the defenders, especially when the other team is pressing high.

Even on Goal Kicks? It seems like this backfires more often than not. I get possession and controlling the game, I don't get teams who continue to play GK's to the defenders, especially when the other team is pressing high.
    Yeah lobbing a GK long is a coin flip of gaining possession and then likely a scramble to start the offense.

Teams that are overmatched or playing teams that press hard might have to play long, but it’s usually not going to be successful over the course of a game.

12. Likes:

M2 (10-03-2022)

You don't see any good teams going long on GKs, except to mix it up every now and then. They all play short. Playing out of the back is one of the most fundamental elements of the game. Teams do it more now than they used to, but that's largely because lesser teams have learned they get hammered less by trying to hold some possession as opposed to kicking it right back to the other team (make the big dogs chase you a bit, take some steam out of their legs).

There is the strategy of going long and trying to slap on a high press, but I can't remember the last team that made it work.

You need to watch more soccer games to understand. Kids u-14 teams play this way, not just pro teams. People are patronising you on this topic. Your question is analogous to asking why is it good to hit the ball far in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Kids u-14 teams play this way, not just pro teams.
    It makes me crazy when kids teams do that. If you have kids do that in South America you can be legally executed.

Gregg from Columbus just self revealed that he assaulted his current wife in 1991 when he kicked her in a drunken (rage? Can’t see Gregg raging) (stupor? Yes, I can see that.) state. Investigation has been announced.
    He’ll be looking for a job soon.

I don’t think Gregg should be retained, but not because of this bush league BS and whoever decided it was their job to air a married couples issues publicly.

18. Likes:

dabvu2498 (01-04-2023),texasdave (01-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I don’t think Gregg should be retained, but not because of this bush league BS and whoever decided it was their job to air a married couples issues publicly.
    I bet it was an Argentinian or Russian plot. No Columbian is capable of such bourgeois christian mendacity.

What in the absolute hell.

Honestly - get the Reyna's, including Gio, away from the USMNT. What an embarrassment.

Turn Off Ads?