Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Re: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Ream has had a pretty nice few years, but he is old. Its a testament to him that he is 35 years old and playing in the premier league.

Ream's age opens the door again for Walker Zimmerman! The hold your breath your breath a minute Walker Zimmerman! In all seriousness, the USMNT had to find someone better than him. But he found his way onto the pitch at the most important times last year, what is going to change?

I do think one of the USMNT's GK needs to find their way to a starting role. Turner needs to either be loaned out, or needs to find another club. He won't get any better being the backup GK for Arsenal.
    Zimmerman might hang around because he’s reliable and not a bad injury replacement, but he’s not going to start much this cycle.

Ideally Cameron Carter Vickers and Chris Richards would be the CB pairing. CCV starts for Celtic and is a regular starter. Chris Richards is at Palace. He hasn’t played much due to injury although he is healthy now, just not getting minutes.

Turner will probably stay with Arsenal next season. He will get minutes with champions league and FA Cup games. Arsenal got bounced from their tournaments early this year which really hurt Turners minutes. He probably won’t ever pass Ramsdale, so he will likely leave or go on loan for 25/26 prior to the World Cup to get minutes, but he’s fine where he is another year. The guy to keep an eye on is Gabriel Slonina. He’s only 19, but Chelsea bought him from Chicago last year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

CCV needs to start getting more minutes. He is a mainstay on Celtic and looks like an NFL linebacker out there.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    CCV needs to start getting more minutes. He is a mainstay on Celtic and looks like an NFL linebacker out there.
    You mean for the US? He’s basically a 90 minute starter every game for Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    You mean for the US? He’s basically a 90 minute starter every game for Celtic.
    Yeah, I mean for the USMNT, that is what I am saying. He is a mainstay for a good team in Europe. Playing Zimmerman over him is nonsense.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (05-17-2023)

Zimmerman might hang around because he’s reliable and not a bad injury replacement, but he’s not going to start much this cycle.

Ideally Cameron Carter Vickers and Chris Richards would be the CB pairing. CCV starts for Celtic and is a regular starter. Chris Richards is at Palace. He hasn’t played much due to injury although he is healthy now, just not getting minutes.

Turner will probably stay with Arsenal next season. He will get minutes with champions league and FA Cup games. Arsenal got bounced from their tournaments early this year which really hurt Turners minutes. He probably won’t ever pass Ramsdale, so he will likely leave or go on loan for 25/26 prior to the World Cup to get minutes, but he’s fine where he is another year. The guy to keep an eye on is Gabriel Slonina. He’s only 19, but Chelsea bought him from Chicago last year.
    If Zimmerman is on the team, I fear he is going to play. The US need to do better than guys like Zimmerman playing key minutes. CCV did get a start, but IIRC, Zimmerman was back there for the knock out state game. He was without a doubt the week link in teh back 4, and will only get older before the next cycle.

One thing that had me hopeful may cause some consternation in that Leeds is right now is going to be relegated. Had Adams, McKinnie, and Aaronson played for Leeds for a couple of years together in the EPL it would have really solidified the midfield. Now with a possible relegation, things may change very quickly for those 3.

I thought Turner played with a tremendous amount of confidence after the WC. If he isn't getting regular starts, which he has the potential to, I don't know how he maintains that form.

While I am a big proponent of leaving the MLS and heading over to Europe, riding the bench in Europe isn't the best plan. It will be interesting to watch the development of Slonina, to see if he gets any playing time, or more likely gets loaned out.

If Zimmerman is on the team, I fear he is going to play. The US need to do better than guys like Zimmerman playing key minutes. CCV did get a start, but IIRC, Zimmerman was back there for the knock out state game. He was without a doubt the week link in teh back 4, and will only get older before the next cycle.

One thing that had me hopeful may cause some consternation in that Leeds is right now is going to be relegated. Had Adams, McKinnie, and Aaronson played for Leeds for a couple of years together in the EPL it would have really solidified the midfield. Now with a possible relegation, things may change very quickly for those 3.

I thought Turner played with a tremendous amount of confidence after the WC. If he isn't getting regular starts, which he has the potential to, I don't know how he maintains that form.

While I am a big proponent of leaving the MLS and heading over to Europe, riding the bench in Europe isn't the best plan. It will be interesting to watch the development of Slonina, to see if he gets any playing time, or more likely gets loaned out.
    I think they got caught in a weird spot with defensive last cycle. Brooks fell off a cliff and then guys like CCV and Richards weren’t quite ready and Richards was hurt and then Robinson also got hurt.

So Zimmerman ends up in there because you know what you are getting and Gregg trusted him, but then he gets massively exposed by teams with speed and passing ability like the Netherlands. He’s 33 at the next World Cup. I just don’t see it, or at the very least it shouldn’t be the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, I mean for the USMNT, that is what I am saying. He is a mainstay for a good team in Europe. Playing Zimmerman over him is nonsense.
    100%

Scottish games are on Paramount + so I’ve watched him a few times.

Celtic has already won the league but the Old Firm was last weekend. Rangers smoked them, mostly because it looked like Celtic hadn’t stopped partying since they clinched, but that is an absolute bucket list game to go to for me.

IMO, Turner needs to get out of Arsenal. Go be the #1 somewhere. Otherwise the rust is going to accumulate.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-17-2023)

I think they got caught in a weird spot with defensive last cycle. Brooks fell off a cliff and then guys like CCV and Richards weren’t quite ready and Richards was hurt and then Robinson also got hurt.

So Zimmerman ends up in there because you know what you are getting and Gregg trusted him, but then he gets massively exposed by teams with speed and passing ability like the Netherlands. He’s 33 at the next World Cup. I just don’t see it, or at the very least it shouldn’t be the plan.
    GGG may have trusted him, but he was exposed. You are right, he wasn't ready for the speed top teams possessed. And got sloppy at times with challenges.

I am interested to see if a guy like Vasquez gets any consideration with the national team, especially if he leaves FCC. They have tried Pepi, Pefok, and Ferreira and none of them can put the ball in the back of the net.

GGG may have trusted him, but he was exposed. You are right, he wasn't ready for the speed top teams possessed. And got sloppy at times with challenges.

I am interested to see if a guy like Vasquez gets any consideration with the national team, especially if he leaves FCC. They have tried Pepi, Pefok, and Ferreira and none of them can put the ball in the back of the net.
    Well we need to all make our offerings to the alter of Donovan and Dempsey that Bologun solves that problem.

I think Vazquez will get some run though.

Bolugun, Reyna, and Pulisic might be the best one-two-three punch in US history.

The talent is undeniably there. They have to remain healthy and need to get better at putting the ball in the back of the net.

There's a long, long way to go, but they could be a special group. It wouldn't shock me to see the US team as a favorite for nearly the entirety of group play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Bolugun, Reyna, and Pulisic might be the best one-two-three punch in US history.

The talent is undeniably there. They have to remain healthy and need to get better at putting the ball in the back of the net.

There's a long, long way to go, but they could be a special group. It wouldn't shock me to see the US team as a favorite for nearly the entirety of group play.
    The talent level of US soccer should continue to increase each and every year. I don't have the hard facts, but I would imagine that youth soccer continues to expand each year. Now there are some systematic issues that USA Soccer is going to need to address, but more and more talent enters the soccer system each year.

For most national teams, it seems like its about filling in the holes. Its rare that you have a complete squad. Your best players may end up playing the same position. Or you may end up playing a player out of position due to need. The USMNT found themselves in the position where they had a hole at center back and had a hole at striker. FWIW they probably should have been a little more creative instead of playing Ferreria and Pepi etc. But if you can fill those holes, they have youth all over the field. We may see a golden era of US Soccer over the next couple of cycles. Is it enough? Will they find that world class phenom that puts them over the top? Who knows.

Mark McKenzie may have something to say about center back in the future. He’s got the best passing range among the younger guys, and his defense keeps improving, IMO. I’d like to see him step up a level of competition next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes:

M2 (05-20-2023)

Berhalter back

Pulisic! 1-0

Turn Off Ads?