Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Re: USMNT...I believe that we will qualify!

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Well...he's a consensus top 5 goalkeeper in the world and was recently named the Concacaf player of the decade.
    Not the best in France (Maignan for Lille was #1 in 2021) and maybe even not the best on his club (PSG just signed Donnarumma).
    My top 5 - Oblak, Allison, Ederson, Courtois, Maignan ( Neuer, Donnarumma and Mendy come before Navas at # 9 for me - he’s very good, but old, like Neuer, so not as good as he used to be, like Neuer). Emiliano Martinez for Aston Villa rounds out my top ten.
    Last edited by Betterread; 10-15-2021 at 03:07 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Berhalter keeps his job after two vital home wins and I am confident the USA will qualify after this round of three games.
    This is due to the talent imbalance of our squad compared to all the countries in CONCACAF other than Mexico, rather than USA superiority in actual play.
    Prediction - due to the inability of our talent to provide coordinated attacks, the USA will continue to struggle to break down organized defenses, regardless of the talent of its personnel involved.
    Last edited by Betterread; 10-15-2021 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I've seen enough of Navas to be confident he punches it left before it hits the post. Weah smoked it, but Navas is the kind of elite keeper who rarely gets beaten on his near post.
    Fair.

The GK looked to be in good position, and ironically had he been out of position, it may not have been a goal. Technically I dont know, so am just talking out loud, but in that position, isn't a GK supposed to use the post as his friend?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Fair.

The GK looked to be in good position, and ironically had he been out of position, it may not have been a goal. Technically I dont know, so am just talking out loud, but in that position, isn't a GK supposed to use the post as his friend?
    He left the crack to get it between himself and the post, and the ball found it. It's a cruel game. Though I thought he did better than Steffen, who created the broken play that set up the Costa Rican goal and who didn't react on the shot.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I’ve seen enough of Steffen.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (10-15-2021),DocRed (10-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’ve seen enough of Steffen.
    I'll give him a break because he hasn't played much of late. That first minute fiasco reeked of rust. His distribution (one of the stronger parts of his game) was off too. Yet I have seen him play extremely well back when he was playing regularly. What he needs is a transfer or loan in January.

I'll give him a break because he hasn't played much of late. That first minute fiasco reeked of rust. His distribution (one of the stronger parts of his game) was off too. Yet I have seen him play extremely well back when he was playing regularly. What he needs is a transfer or loan in January.
    For sure about the transfer. It’s a good example of what I was talking about a few pages ago when I said I didn’t want Pepi going to a huge euro club like Man U, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, etc. when you’re young and you go to a club like that you aren’t going to play much and it’s hurts your development. I also can’t wait until Pulisic transfers. Reyna is in a perfect spot.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

M2 (10-15-2021)

His decision making has always been shaky. Maybe that gets better with development and more time, but it’s always been there.

12. Likes:

DocRed (10-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    His decision making has always been shaky. Maybe that gets better with development and more time, but it’s always been there.
    He might have come out for the first ball regardless. However, I've got to believe a less rusty Steffen would have reacted to the shot rather than get paralyzed by the runner.

He might have come out for the first ball regardless. However, I've got to believe a less rusty Steffen would have reacted to the shot rather than get paralyzed by the runner.
    I don’t even specifically mean on that play, although he obviously made mistakes.

He thought the runner was offside and he normally would have been and had to stay there for him to make a shot. That was unlucky. His mistake there was the clumsy clearance that started it.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I don’t even specifically mean on that play, although he obviously made mistakes.

He thought the runner was offside and he normally would have been and had to stay there for him to make a shot. That was unlucky. His mistake there was the clumsy clearance that started it.
    Though if he thought the guy was offside, then he definitely should have played the shot. That was a shot I expect a keeper to get (securely, with two hands). I'd argue his positioning was off and if he'd been playing more he'd have recognized the runner probably wasn't getting on the end of that ball. Instead he had too many inputs and froze.

The clearance was so bad it was kind of funny.

Pulisic back for Mexico! Huge! Bad news is Dest and Reyna still out.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...anni-reyna-out

Big match vs Mexico tonight at 9pm on ESPN2. Not feeling good about this one as it's hard to beat Mexico 3 times in a row. Especially missing such key players as Dest and Reyna. Pulisic isn't healthy either and is not starting, will probably only get 30 min out of him tonight if he plays at all.

Thankfully the crowd seems solidly USA.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Thankfully the crowd seems solidly USA.
    Super crowd!

Proud of the Tri-County Area faithful.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-12-2021 at 10:33 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?