India
    Lodolo
    Santillan
    Stephenson
    Siani
    Garcia
    Siri
    Fairchild

There's your top 10, commence with the quibbles or the doom and gloom. Don't wanna get in trouble by posting the whole list since there's a paywall, but a few others of note are that Hinds is 13, Callihan is 16, and Aquino is 19.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-21-2019),Rojo Rijo (07-19-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America Top 30 Reds prospects updated

It seems like bad news to me that Hunter Greene is still our #2 prospect. That no one has been able to overtake him even in his absence. But that may just be because he's a bit out of sight, out of mind for me this year with the injury. And I'm probably overthinking the impact of TJ surgery at his age to how that should affect his prospect status and the rest of his career.

Overall, not a particularly exciting list, though.

5. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-19-2019),Tom Servo (07-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It seems like bad news to me that Hunter Greene is still our #2 prospect. That no one has been able to overtake him even in his absence. But that may just be because he's a bit out of sight, out of mind for me this year with the injury. And I'm probably overthinking the impact of TJ surgery at his age to how that should affect his prospect status and the rest of his career.

Overall, not a particularly exciting list, though.
    Bingo.

Lodolo REALLY needs to come through next season.

Very underwhelming list. We need to get something for Puig.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Four straight seasons of 94+ lose seasons for this list plus Nick Senzel.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

Alabama (07-19-2019),TheBigLebowski (07-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Four straight seasons of 94+ lose seasons for this list plus Nick Senzel.
    Well, they also traded some of the players they drafted for major leaguers on the roster now.

But yeah, definitely a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Well, they also traded some of the players they drafted for major leaguers on the roster now.

But yeah, definitely a disaster.
    The first rounders since the 'rebuild' began are all accounted for (Howard was before it began, and Senzel has graduated), so that element of it has been fine. But they botched the veteran trades and never moved aggressively on selling high on guys like Disco and Iglesias and even Schebler. People tend focus on the former, and they definitely hurt, but the latter don't get much attention. It's been frustrating how inactive they were when they should have been the most active.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

M2 (07-19-2019),Revering4Blue (07-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The first rounders since the 'rebuild' began are all accounted for (Howard was before it began, and Senzel has graduated), so that element of it has been fine. But they botched the veteran trades and never moved aggressively on selling high on guys like Disco and Iglesias and even Schebler. People tend focus on the former, and they definitely hurt, but the latter don't get much attention. It's been frustrating how inactive they were when they should have been the most active.
    Completely agree. It’s not the draft that is the reason this rebuild is a failure, it’s the terrible trades by Jocketty.

13. Likes:

CRDB40 (07-23-2019),Tom Servo (07-19-2019),WrongVerb (07-19-2019)

The first rounders since the 'rebuild' began are all accounted for (Howard was before it began, and Senzel has graduated), so that element of it has been fine. But they botched the veteran trades and never moved aggressively on selling high on guys like Disco and Iglesias. People tend focus on the former, and they definitely hurt, but the latter don't get much attention. It's been frustrating how inactive they were when they should have been the most active.
    Also they haven't hit on a non Cuban foreign born player since Cueto. That's insane in today's climate. No excuse for that at all. The Reds are trying to compete with just drafts and we all know that is a crapshoot. An international draft may be there only shot because they dont seem to ever be able to get the top rated guys. Even the Ray's can and they are extremely "small market" so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-19-2019),757690 (07-19-2019),Old school 1983 (07-19-2019),RedTeamGo! (07-19-2019),RiverRat13 (07-19-2019),Tom Servo (07-19-2019)

The players drafted, even the first rounders, are not fine for a team that finished with 94+ losses four years straight.

Look at the list of prospects the Astros and Cubs had a few years ago, it blows away this list. And both of them got very little return for the players they traded during their rebuild, like most rebuilds. Nearly all of their top players recently came from the draft and international signings. That is almost always where the bulk of any rebuild occurs.
    Last edited by 757690; 07-19-2019 at 12:27 PM.

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (07-19-2019)

Completely agree. It’s not the draft that is the reason this rebuild is a failure, it’s the terrible trades by Jocketty.
    Dick Williams was the GM of the Reds for most of these trades. Both Jocketty and Williams deserve the blame them.

And the Cueto deal might have been a good one, had the Reds not rushed Reed and Finnegan. That was a decent trade, value wise, getting two MLB top 100 prospects for a few months of Cueto.

Dick Williams was the GM of the Reds for most of these trades. Both Jocketty and Williams deserve the blame them.

And the Cueto deal might have been a good one, had the Reds not rushed Reed and Finnegan. That was a decent trade, value wise, getting two MLB top 100 prospects for a few months of Cueto.
    Ok

The players drafted, even the first rounders, are not fine for a team that finished with 94+ losses four years straight.

Look at the list of prospects the Astros and Cubs had a few years ago, it blows away this list. And both of them got very little return for the players they traded during their rebuild, like most rebuilds. Nearly all of their top players recently came from the draft and international signings. That is almost always where the bulk of any rebuild occurs.
    The first rounders are fine (so far), the other stuff is certainly very questionable. That's all I said.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Ok
    This is probably the best possible answer to that post.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

To be fair Williams hasn't been any better
    Crazy Reds Fan

The first rounders are fine (so far), the other stuff is certainly very questionable. That's all I said.
    The Astros got Springer, Correa, and Bergman with their first round picks. The Cubs got Baez, and Bryant, and with their first round picks. MVP caliber players. Maybe Senzel becomes that, but no one else on the Reds list is close.

Turn Off Ads?