Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: India promoted to AA

Re: India promoted to AA

I’ve been a way for a bit. I can’t believe some AFL stuff caused this panic.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Was pulled from last night's game after walking and scoring in first at bat. Wonder what's up with that?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

4. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Again, in the minors it doesn't. A lot of the pitchers aren't very good. If taking a BB is your leading tool down there, it's not likely to carry you that far.
    I'll double down on this. For the first time in my life, I got to see a fairly regular amount of minor league baseball this year, as it happens, AA baseball.

I know there are some posters that see the minors a lot. I think they'd agree. There's like a legit 2-3 guys at each AA team that MIGHT go on to get a pension. Maybe the team has a superstar in its midst. Overall though, by MLB standards, it's bad baseball made tolerable by between inning promotions involving trying to put on a rolled up frozen t-shirt.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

6. Likes:

kaldaniels (10-09-2019),M2 (10-09-2019),REDREAD (10-10-2019)

Hit his 2nd HR today in the AFL

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-11-2019),REDREAD (10-14-2019),Sea Ray (10-16-2019)

India’s college hitting was ordinary until he exploded in his last season. One could speculate that the same pattern will follow in the pros.

He just may be the type of hitter who requires time to adjust.

Not a prediction, but I’d be careful to give up on India early on, or to trade him at discounted value.

10. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-09-2019),DocRed (10-23-2019),REDREAD (10-25-2019),SoTxRedsFan (04-08-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

MLB Pipeline ranks India 8th best 3rd base prospect in baseball.

Jonathan India | Rank: 8
    Team: Chattanooga Lookouts (AA) ETA: 2021 Position: 3B Age: 23 DOB: 12/15/1996 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 0" Weight: 200 lb. Drafted: 2018, 1st (5) - CIN
    WATCH

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

A decent prospect at Florida high school powerhouse American Heritage, India did get drafted by the Brewers in 2015, but not until the 26th round because of his strong commitment to the University of Florida. He had two solid, albeit unspectacular seasons with the Gators before breaking out with 21 homers as a junior. That sent him flying up Draft boards and he landed with the Reds at No. 5 overall in 2018. He did reach Double-A in his first full season and finished with a rough stint in the Arizona Fall League, but he spent much of the year playing through a nagging wrist issue.

The Reds still very much believe in India's offensive upside. The right-handed hitter, despite otherwise pedestrian numbers, continued to show an advanced approach at the plate and excellent on-base skills in 2019, drawing a ton of walks at both levels. He has good swing mechanics and showed glimpses of the power that was on display his final year at Florida, especially to his pull side. India has average speed, but he's an excellent baserunner who is aggressive on the basepaths.

Defensively, he's played third base almost exclusively as a pro, where his arm, footwork and range allow him to be an above-average defensive presence at the hot corner. He has seen some time at second, including in the AFL, and he's athletic enough to play there if needed. India loves to play and gets high marks for his hard-nosed attitude, one that made him want to play through injury in 2019. A healthy India could keep moving quickly and put up the numbers expected of a top five pick.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

DocRed (01-21-2020),RED VAN HOT (01-21-2020)

That's the first I've heard of a wrist injury.

Good to know.

Hopefully, he's healthy moving forward.

That said, that 55 hit grade looks suspect (at best) in the limited number of professional ABs he's had.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That's the first I've heard of a wrist injury.

Good to know.

Hopefully, he's healthy moving forward.

That said, that 55 hit grade looks suspect (at best) in the limited number of professional ABs he's had.
    Do not trust that. The "there was something secretly wrong with him the whole time" revelation is so Chris Okey.

Agreed on the hit grade. He's a .254 hitter through two seasons in the minors. A 40 grade would seem a fair present ability grade. Maybe it's a 55 in terms of potential.
    Last edited by M2; 01-21-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Do not trust that. The "there was something secretly wrong with him the whole time" revelation is so Chris Okey.

Agreed on the hit grade. He's a .254 hitter through two seasons in the minors. A 40 grade would seem a fair present ability grade. Maybe it's a 55 in terms of potential.
    People also had the same complaints about Mesoraco and while he was hardly ever healthy, he did show what he could do when fully healthy in 2014.

.369 OBP is what counts. If the power comes around he'll be a very good hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    .369 OBP is what counts. If the power comes around he'll be a very good hitter.
    I don't think he can maintain that with a low-grade hit tool and only modest power. Anyway, I'm hoping he improves because the Reds 100% are going to trade him at some point.
    Last edited by M2; 01-21-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

TRF (01-22-2020)

Nice short write up on India today. By all accounts he looked really good at Prasco last year and hopefully is healthy now. Really excited to see what he can do this year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-prospe...n-top-100-list

20. Likes:

BillDoran (02-06-2021),HokieRed (02-06-2021),ochoa30 (02-05-2021)

Would be huge if he came through. (and his protege/mentor Senzel).
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

22. Likes:

BillDoran (02-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Nice short write up on India today. By all accounts he looked really good at Prasco last year and hopefully is healthy now. Really excited to see what he can do this year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-prospe...n-top-100-list
    I still have some hope for India. He's looking fringier and fringier by the year, but there's a bat in there and it sounds like he can handle 2B and 3B. That said, he's hard to distinguish from an Alex Blandiino-type at this point (and it's clear the Reds aren't especially enamored with Blandino).

As an aside, I am growing suspicious of Shawn Pender (the link within the link). It feels like he's shown up in a dozen offseason prospect stories with the glowingest evaluation of each and everyone of our prospects.

As VP of player development, I don't expect him to publicly dump on his players, but if you're reading his quotes on Prasco, you'd think it was the 1927 Yankees in Mason.

Pump the breaks, Shawn. Temper some of that enthusiasm. I've been a Reds fan long enough. These prospects are middling.

24. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    As an aside, I am growing suspicious of Shawn Pender (the link within the link). It feels like he's shown up in a dozen offseason prospect stories with the glowingest evaluation of each and everyone of our prospects.
    I suspect you're just reading the same interview(s) in what feels like a dozen different places. And while he's positive here, that is almost assuredly by design. I read across a variety of articles similar to this one on the Reds, and they're all written in the same vein-- the prospects improved, they learned a lot, and they showed signs of development.

Too, if you read closely, he's not really that effusive in his praise.

- India showed power he'd missed. India increased his bat speed and (as a result) power.

- Greene threw strikes, and all his pitches improved. (This is the typical development from league to league.)

- Hendrick listened well.

- Lodolo worked on his changeup.

- Siani has better swing awareness (whatever that means) and adjusted more consistently. (Similar to Greene, this is typical of a prospect moving through the system.)

- Hinds was overmatched at first, then made strides. (Again, typical development.) He learned to play defense at 3B. Which was, IIRC, a massive question mark.

- Santillan pitched better than in 2019, Which, yeah. It'd be hard to pitch worse. He had some major issues with velocity (down to the high 80s at one point, IIRC) and with control of his off-speed pitches.

The most effusive praise is for India. After that, Greene maybe? Santillan perhaps?
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 02-06-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Turn Off Ads?