Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: India promoted to AA

Re: India promoted to AA

If there is one thing about the AFL that has been demonstrated year after year after year...it is that the stats there are not a good indicator of much of anything.

2. Likes:

757690 (10-01-2019),Kingspoint (10-02-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    If there is one thing about the AFL that has been demonstrated year after year after year...it is that the stats there are not a good indicator of much of anything.
    There is simply too much time between when the minor league games stop and the AFL begins. The entire season is like April stats where fringe guys are among the league leaders and MVPs are hitting .220. These guys are starting fresh and some get off to fast starts and the others start slow. The season isn't long enough for the cream to rise to the top. I used to care about these stats and follow it closely, but I think this is more about adding reps to make up for lost time earlier or possibly pull ahead the next promotion. I'm not sure the stats matter as much as just being on the field getting those reps.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I agree with all of the above about the AFL and I'm generally a fan of Jonathan India's. Can't help but like walk rate, which, when he develops some SLG to go with it, should make for good OPS support. But I can't help but observe that we always seem to be explaining why he hasn't done as much as we'd really expect etc. I think next year it's time for him to do some convincing rather that for us to be convincing ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Can't help but like walk rate
    I'm not impressed by his walk rate. A walk rate is fantastic when it's put on top of a productive bat. When it's hanging out by itself, it's just a guy talking BBs off minor league pitchers that he can't do enough damage against when they come into the zone.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

DocRed (10-01-2019),JaxRed (10-01-2019),NC Reds (10-01-2019),REDREAD (10-01-2019),Sea Ray (10-01-2019),Tom Servo (10-01-2019)

Baseball America update from Sept 30 (yesterday)

Jonathan India, 2B, Reds. India had an RBI double in four at-bats for Glendale. India played mostly third base this season at high Class A Daytona and after he was promoted to Double-A Chattanooga as well. His athleticism adds value as he can move around the diamond, but India has struggled with the bat, hitting just .038/.167/.077 through 26 at-bats so far in the Arizona Fall League

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ember-30-2019/
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not impressed by his walk rate. A walk rate is fantastic when it's put on top of a productive bat. When it's hanging out by itself, it's just a guy talking BBs off minor league pitchers that he can't do enough damage against when they come into the zone.
    Alex Blandino agrees...

Pitchers don't walk guys that can't hurt them

So true....even when you're Joey Votto the walks go way down when your bat becomes less dangerous
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

They do in the minors because a lot of them can't find the plate.

13. Likes:

DocRed (10-03-2019),REDREAD (10-01-2019),texasdave (10-01-2019)

They do in the minors because a lot of them can't find the plate.
    Remarkable how the ability to find the plate correlates to the amount of confidence you have that the guy can't hurt you.

Remarkable how the ability to find the plate correlates to the amount of confidence you have that the guy can't hurt you.
    Again, in the minors it doesn't. A lot of the pitchers aren't very good. If taking a BB is your leading tool down there, it's not likely to carry you that far. Here's a sampling of the MiLB BB leaders from past seasons with sub-.260 BAs and who happen to be 24 or younger.

Taylor Brennan
    Preston Beck
    Michael Ratterree
    Michael Reed
    Matt Skole

Matt Olson
    Danny Hayes
    Sherman Johnson
    Drew Robinson
    Braxton Davidson

Max Moroff
    Josh Ockimey
    Christin Stewart
    Derek Fisher
    Jon Singleton

Outside of Olson it's a pretty inauspicious list. Now, I'm not saying India is fated to disappoint. What I am saying is many forgettable hitters take a lot of BBs in the minors. It is not because they are fearsome hitters.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Good hitters take pitches they think they can't drive, unless they're protecting with two strikes. They take aggressive swings on pitches they think they can drive.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Good hitters take pitches they think they can't drive, unless they're protecting with two strikes. They take aggressive swings on pitches they think they can drive.
    Great hitters maybe. There’s a big difference between genuine selectivity and just choosing to commit to pitches later in the at bat. Stubbs wasn’t waiting around to crush mistakes. He usually ended the at bat flailing at the same crap as everyone else.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Great hitters maybe. There’s a big difference between genuine selectivity and just choosing to commit to pitches later in the at bat. Stubbs wasn’t waiting around to crush mistakes. He usually ended the at bat flailing at the same crap as everyone else.
    It's the approach that makes the hitter great. But you're right in that most human beings don't have the athleticism or mentality it takes to have that approach consistently for years. Votto, Larkin, and maybe Davis are the only Reds who seem to have been able to do it. Suarez is rapidly approaching that as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4-7 with a hr in his last 2 games

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-07-2019),REDREAD (10-07-2019)

Turn Off Ads?