Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: India promoted to AA

Re: India promoted to AA

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Downs is his equal or better in every offensive category and is two years younger. Downs had a less than 20% K rate, a 10% w rate, and 13 HRs at Dayton as a 19 year old. That was in 2018, before any of his development this year could be attributed to the supposed magic of the Dodgers farm system. The key number is the 19; I think RZers in general are way too prone to overlooking the importance of age per level in evaluating minor league stats. India didn't play at those levels until he was 21 and had a mediocre overall season, though I am more than willing to grant him slack as he was coming off the long college season. It's not that I don't like India. I do, in fact, like him quite a bit. I just think Downs is better.
    He is asking you to back up your claim nobody was interested in India.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I'll take India. I love how everyone thought nothing of Downs when he was here and now he is a hall of famer. Why Downs? maybe you can convince me.
    As fans we're not supposed to know anything about 20 yr old prospects. This is the job of the Reds front office. I've never seen either player play and they were so new to professional baseball there wasn't much to go on stat wise. This isn't on fans. Evaluating 20 yr olds is up to MLB front offices and there's a ton of evidence that our front office is lacking in this area. Ditto for our development of youngsters

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He is asking you to back up your claim nobody was interested in India.
    I remember at the time reports that said exactly that but there's not a site like FGs where I can point to in order to prove this.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As fans we're not supposed to know anything about 20 yr old prospects. This is the job of the Reds front office. I've never seen either player play and they were so new to professional baseball there wasn't much to go on stat wise. This isn't on fans. Evaluating 20 yr olds is up to MLB front offices and there's a ton of evidence that our front office is lacking in this area. Ditto for our development of youngsters

- - - Updated - - -

I remember at the time reports that said exactly that but there's not a site like FGs where I can point to in order to prove this.
    I have seen a lot of minor league baseball. Kids who show extraordinary plate discipline together with significant power at a very early age, as in Downs' case, have a pretty good chance to be good players. You don't need to be a scout to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Downs is his equal or better in every offensive category and is two years younger. Downs had a less than 20% K rate, a 10% w rate, and 13 HRs at Dayton as a 19 year old. That was in 2018, before any of his development this year could be attributed to the supposed magic of the Dodgers farm system. The key number is the 19; I think RZers in general are way too prone to overlooking the importance of age per level in evaluating minor league stats. India didn't play at those levels until he was 21 and had a mediocre overall season, though I am more than willing to grant him slack as he was coming off the long college season. It's not that I don't like India. I do, in fact, like him quite a bit. I just think Downs is better.
    That's fine, I'm just not buying that there was no interest in India because nobody has that information. It's merely an assumption.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be clear, we were led to believe the Marlins were not interested in India as the primary piece of a package for JT. There's a big distance between that and claiming that nobody was interested in India.

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-26-2019)

Fair enough. My original comment was mostly rhetorical.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Yes, this is the original statistic that started the recent discussion. Concerning but also an extremely small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Yes, this is the original statistic that started the recent discussion. Concerning but also an extremely small sample size.
    By its design the AFL is a small sample size. We all get that but it's still disturbing and worth discussing here

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be clear, we were led to believe the Marlins were not interested in India as the primary piece of a package for JT. There's a big distance between that and claiming that nobody was interested in India.
    There's no way to know what everybody thought but it "appears" that other teams preferred guys like Downs and Trammell to India

0-18 is absolutely not worth discussing.

It’s just being used as a confirmation bias tool by India haters.

- - - Updated - - -

By its design the AFL is a small sample size. We all get that but it's still disturbing and worth discussing here

- - - Updated - - -

There's no way to know what everybody thought but it "appears" that other teams preferred guys like Downs and Trammell to India
    It does not appear that way. The reds offered India to the marlins for the best catcher in baseball and they said no. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s just being used as a confirmation bias tool by India haters.
    Would that make them Pakistanis?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

JayBruceFan (09-27-2019),KoryMac5 (09-27-2019),Old school 1983 (09-28-2019),RedTeamGo! (09-27-2019),Revering4Blue (09-27-2019),RiverRat13 (09-27-2019),Tom Servo (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Would that make them Pakistanis?
    Got a legit LOL out of me

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-28-2019)

Question, when is the last time the Reds have produced entirely, or almost entirely a prospect into a bonafide star? Think about that for a minute.
    Cueto?

Grandal was almost entirely developed by the Reds. Maybe not a star per se, but who here doesn't want him next year? Bailey was not quite a star before injuries, but seemed on his way to at least being solid. Iglesias, Chapman? maybe yes, maybe a little? Aquino is a star right now. Will he be next year?

It's not a big list.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Is/Was Jay Bruce a star?

We did all the significant development of Shed Long, who seems to have a pretty good chance.

Anybody mention Didi Gregorius?

Turn Off Ads?