Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: India promoted to AA

Re: India promoted to AA

Maybe Kingspoint is Dale Murphy?

https://theathletic.com/1096701/2019...ion-is-coming/

Behind a paywall, but here’s a key quote:

But for anyone feeling down or frustrated by the state of the game, I offer these words of solace: it’s only temporary. In sports, nothing lasts forever. The beaucoup home runs and strikeouts you’re seeing? It’s a phase. Eventually, the pendulum will swing back the other way, and it will do so, in part, because of a guy who has never played in the major leagues.

His name is Nick Madrigal, and I believe he will be the face of baseball’s next revolution.

In a sport heavy on home runs and chock-full of Ks, Nick Madrigal rarely does either. The fourth overall pick in 2018, Madrigal has quickly risen the ranks in the White Sox farm system. In 485 minor-league at-bats, the 22-year-old second baseman has just three home runs and 16 strikeouts. His game is all about making contact (.312 batting average this season), getting on base (.380 OBP), and manufacturing runs (30 steals, 48 runs scored). It is not about wasting outs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Madrigal is also going to win a few Gold Gloves. He's that good. That's also something that's not in India's future. There's a chasm of a difference between the two, but just pure luck by one draft slot sent a future gold glove, batting king, perennial all-star to the White Sox while the REDS were left to choose the best from the rest. Hopefully, India earns a starting job with the REDS that's worthy of a #5 pick.
    You can't be serious.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-26-2019)

Madrigal isn't just the next Jim Coombs.

He is Jim Coombs.

6. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-29-2019),M2 (07-26-2019),Puffy (07-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd have taken Madrigal over India, but let's jam the brakes here. You're claiming a kid with a .309/.370/.399 slash line in pro ball is a "once-in-a-generation player." In 129 MiLB games he's got 34 XBHs and he's 38-54 on SB attempts. Solid player, but hardly the second coming of anything. Also, and I feel like this can't be stressed enough, he was drafted BEFORE India. So what does it matter if he's better? The Reds never had a shot at drafting him.
    Bc the Reds suck at not losing enough when it matters, too. Duh.

I would like to know why 3 teams passed on the current best player in baseball and future God Emperor of Earth.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I would like to know why 3 teams passed on the current best player in baseball and future God Emperor of Earth.
    When Madrigal revealed his true majesty to them, they couldn't bear it and looked away. The White Sox brought the special glasses that both allow you to view Madrigal and an eclipse.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’ve never seen a prediction like “he’ll easily make at least 7 ASG” for a prospect.
    Yeah, that even surpasses the epic declaration about Zach Stewart “he’ll win multiple Cy Youngs. Book it!”
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

BillDoran (07-27-2019),RedTeamGo! (07-26-2019)

Kingspoint is Alabama...Alabama is Kingspoint

14. Likes:

HammerTime (07-27-2019)

India could hit .250/330 in the big leagues and probably still supply enough power to be more valuable than Madrigal.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Let’s trade Jose Lopez for him.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Unless I needed a triple for the cycle, however Mad Madrigals base running prowess is so good it would end up and inside the park HR.
    I don't always stop at third on an inside the park home run.... but when I do.... it's to hit for a cycle.

18. Likes:

dfs (07-28-2019),WrongVerb (07-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Kingspoint is Alabama...Alabama is Kingspoint
    I'm pretty sure you're not serious, but Kingspoint is generally a great poster (and a Trail Blazers fan). I think he got a little out over his skis on this one, but on net he's a big positive on the board.

If India can hold his own in Chattanooga for the remainder of the season and Lodolo continues to look great prior to being shut down, there's some bright spots to work with. Greene comes back next year. I think Trammell will bounce back (though I don't think he was ever the uber prospect some predicted). I'm still bullish on Santillan. There's reason to hope for Callihan, Hinds, Richardson, Garcia, etc.

The system isn't in the dire shape some make it out to be. Graduating prospects hurts. They're hard to replace. For better or worse, I think India is in the top tier of Reds prospects, and I remain optimistic.

20. Likes:

Benihana (07-27-2019),Old school 1983 (07-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Interrrrresssttingggg.

Also, we need to realize Senzel is not a CF I think.
    why do we need to realize this? because of the vertigo issues?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    why do we need to realize this? because of the vertigo issues?
    No, when I watch him he looks like an infielder playing CF. Probably because he’s an infielder playing CF.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

757690 (07-28-2019),CrackerJack (07-28-2019),M2 (07-28-2019),Old school 1983 (07-28-2019),REDREAD (09-25-2019),TRF (07-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What a weird post? None of this makes any sense. None of it applies to current performance or future performance.

He's shown each of the past four years that's his Major League career will far surpass India's. Their ceilings and floors are on different planets, Madrigal's being far superior to India's.

Madrigal is a once-in-a-generation player with his ability to get on base, advance further on the basepaths due to speed and intelligence, hit for power when the situation calls for it, play exceptional Defense at an up-the-middle position, draw a pitcher's pitch-count up with lengthy and patient plate appearances, do whatever the situation calls for, and do everything in a clutch and timely manner. India posesses none of these abilities. None.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm probably the only one on this website that's seen him enough to have an intelligent opinion about him, based on the other posts I've read.
    ok a, why is the first line a question? and B, it pretty much made sense to everyone who looked at things objectively.

He has NOT shown in each of the past 4 years anything but he was a good hitting prospect with no power in college. He belted a combined 8 HR's in college in 707 PA's. India hit 31 in 818 PA's.

So right off the bat we know one guy has power, one does not.

Madrigal's NCAA numbers: .361 .422 .502 .923
    India's NCAA numbers: .310 .411 .530 .941

Madrigal has a bit better hit tool, India more power. Similar OBP with a slight edge to Madrigal. Overall, India has the better numbers.

So lets shift to pro ball. It's an easy apples to apple comparison. These guys are the same age drafted the same year.

Madrigal Career minors numbers: .307 .368 .396 .765
    India Career minors numbers: .250 .359 .409 .768

Lets face it, the OPS difference is too nominal to even debate, so lets look at the components instead. India's numbers are less prone to slump than Madrigal. Madrigal needs the hits to get on base where India's BB/9 shows he know what not to swing at.

Lets switch to 2019 only then, to see if the differences continue in their most recent numbers.

Madrigal 2 levels, A+ AA: .308 .375 .418 .793
    India 2 levels, A+ AA: .254 .349 .398 .747

Madrigal has the edge here for two reasons: He was aggressively promoted out of the Carolina League into the SL, where India was developing longer in the pitcher friendly FSL. His sample in AA is only 7 games, 31 PA's. So he's still getting his feet wet at that level and he's struggling a bit.

Neither guy being promoted when they were was anything more than organizational philosophy. The Reds, historically, do not rush prospects. I cannot say I have any idea what the White Sox do.

I don't think it is anywhere near clear cut that Madrigal has out performed India. He's got 20 fewer minor league career PA's and 31 more hits. That's good. But he has 38 career BB's to India's 70. He's got 3 career HR's to India's 14.

Going forward, two guys, the same age and experience. Both from top baseball conferences in college. And the numbers posted as professionals to date, I'd take India over Madrigal.

One last thing. Ken Griffey Jr. was a generational talent. Mike Trout is one.

Nick Madrigal couldn't carry their jocks. And you know it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

25. Likes:

Joey Blotto (07-29-2019)

Turn Off Ads?