Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DISH (SlingTv) Drop Fox Regional Sports

Re: DISH (SlingTv) Drop Fox Regional Sports

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If I switched to You Tube it would be on all 3 of my ROKU TV's, so a VPN solution wouldn't work. Plus I want my locals. A VPN solution that works for 2 hours on a computer in July (or whenever they do it) would work.
    Although I might be able to have an account for her that I only use one month, that is VPN'd to NY.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Although I might be able to have an account for her that I only use one month, that is VPN'd to NY.
    https://www.sportfacts.org/live-stre...etwork-online/
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I say it again. Switch to YouTubeTV. You won’t regret it.
    I’m glad to hear the positive feedback on Youtube TV. I dropped Directv for PSVue only to have Sony pull the plug on it.

I have been stunned with the picture quality on my Apple TV with PS Vue. Hopefully Youtube is equal to the task. I’ll switch over at the end of the month.

The question for me is..... I establish a VPN that shows me in NYC..... But when I sign up for a service, don't they ask for an address and base their Regionals on the addrress? If so I need an address.

Did Cincy Bell keep the Fox channels?

DISH (SlingTv) Drop Fox Regional Sports

So these cable companies that charge like $10 for a cable box, and even more for the concept of whole home screen, can’t keep fox, but YoutubeTv can? They dont have hardware to make money off of, and Dave is free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes:

GAC (01-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    So these cable companies that charge like $10 for a cable box, and even more for the concept of whole home screen, can’t keep fox, but YoutubeTv can? They dont have hardware to make money off of, and Dave is free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Youtube will have to renegotiate their channel contracts eventually too. Also, it's inevitable that the cost of streaming services will rise (they've been going up slow the past few years). They're relatively low now because people are still adjusting to streaming television and it's not quite as reliable/convenient yet as standard options. Once it is, prices will shoot up.

Regardless, these companies are going to find a way to make you pay them. If you're getting internet-only, you're going to be paying a higher price, especially for service without usage limits.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (01-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MR X View Post
    Did Cincy Bell keep the Fox channels?
    Yes, and Big Ten Network as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

If I switched to You Tube it would be on all 3 of my ROKU TV's, so a VPN solution wouldn't work. Plus I want my locals. A VPN solution that works for 2 hours on a computer in July (or whenever they do it) would work.
    It may not be possible in your situation Jax, but I'm 40 miles (either way) from Dayton/Columbus, put up a good internal antenna (Leaf), and I'm getting my locals.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm going to pose this question on here because most of your are far more knowledgeable on "tech stuff". I'm not totally ignorant. Just still learning (LOL)....

I only have one issue with YouTubeTV - and it may not be their fault (I don't know) - but I experience a lot of buffering. Especially with live sporting events. That's not a good thing, quite frustrating, when you're watching football. And I was always getting that message on my screen about frequent buffering and to check my network internet connection.

Well I have been. First off. Just how reliable are these internet speed tests LOL? I have my internet only thru Spectrum. I've used their speed test, plus several other so-called reliable/reputable ones. They're all over the place. Anywhere from 10mbps to 39mbps. The location of the server causes this variation, am I right? I've noticed with Spectrum that I'll bounce around between various servers, from Columbus to (currently) Durham, NC. Normal practice? Because I'm only approximately 45 miles from Columbus.

But I've been doing internet tests, gathering data over the last couple of weeks, and my download speed is pretty consistently around 28mbps, which should be ample. Of course that is broken (divided up) weakened? by the number of TVs, computers, phones on the network correct? I did this one internet test where you input the number of devices in the household, and it then tells you what you need for a download speed to handle it. Mine was 135mbps. Don't know how reliable that is - but Wow!

I bought a new router less then a year ago .... https://www.pcmag.com/review/343601/...gigabit-router

My buffering issues have been primarily in our bedroom, which is two rooms away (two walls)(approx 40 ft) from router.

I've been doing what research I can on WiFi Range Extenders, and do they work. Mixed reviews, but I bought this one the other day ...

https://www.pcmag.com/review/351414/...range-extender

It was pretty easy to set-up. But I haven't been able to watch much TV to see if it has helped (LOL).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm going to pose this question on here because most of your are far more knowledgeable on "tech stuff". I'm not totally ignorant. Just still learning (LOL)....

I only have one issue with YouTubeTV - and it may not be their fault (I don't know) - but I experience a lot of buffering. Especially with live sporting events. That's not a good thing, quite frustrating, when you're watching football. And I was always getting that message on my screen about frequent buffering and to check my network internet connection.

Well I have been. First off. Just how reliable are these internet speed tests LOL? I have my internet only thru Spectrum. I've used their speed test, plus several other so-called reliable/reputable ones. They're all over the place. Anywhere from 10mbps to 39mbps. The location of the server causes this variation, am I right? I've noticed with Spectrum that I'll bounce around between various servers, from Columbus to (currently) Durham, NC. Normal practice? Because I'm only approximately 45 miles from Columbus.

But I've been doing internet tests, gathering data over the last couple of weeks, and my download speed is pretty consistently around 28mbps, which should be ample. Of course that is broken (divided up) weakened? by the number of TVs, computers, phones on the network correct? I did this one internet test where you input the number of devices in the household, and it then tells you what you need for a download speed to handle it. Mine was 135mbps. Don't know how reliable that is - but Wow!

I bought a new router less then a year ago .... https://www.pcmag.com/review/343601/...gigabit-router

My buffering issues have been primarily in our bedroom, which is two rooms away (two walls)(approx 40 ft) from router.

I've been doing what research I can on WiFi Range Extenders, and do they work. Mixed reviews, but I bought this one the other day ...

It was pretty easy to set-up. But I haven't been able to watch much TV to see if it has helped (LOL).
    Shouldn’t you have at least 100MB service? I have Spectrum too in Bowling Green, KY which I despise as a company, but they are the only high speed option we have in our development. I pay for 400MB for streaming because we work remotely from home at times.

Your router is not the problem. You have one of the best ones IMO. I have a Linksys Gig router too. Are you sure your MODEM the latest and greatest? If your only getting 28MB on speed tests then I think you are not getting what you are paying for. The fastest speeds are only possible with the newest modems. You need to be sure it is DOCSIS 3.1. I bought my own modem when we were under TWC and they were charged for leasing, but Spectrum should provide you with the latest for free.

I work in IT, but I’m not the network guru some of my coworkers are, but I do tell people that if you want reliability, consistency, and speed and can do the wiring, run a Cat5e or Cat6 cable where you can and leave the WiFi to your phones and tablets where you really need the mobility. (That is if you have a streaming device with an ethernet jack).

My computers, Apple TV and Roku Premier are all hardwired, and they are instantaneous in their response. I’ve been watching a lot of 4K streaming on Disney+ and haven’t had any buffering.

Can you do a speedtest from a wired computer connected to your router. That would take the WiFi out of the equation and see what you are getting from Spectrum.

The question for me is..... I establish a VPN that shows me in NYC..... But when I sign up for a service, don't they ask for an address and base their Regionals on the addrress? If so I need an address.
    At least for YouTube TV, its both.

You give them your zip code when you sign up online, then they verify it. That's how locals are then determined along with Fox Sports Regional, etc.

That being said, I traveled to Florida, wanted to watch the UC game on FSO, and it worked... for a bit. Then a message flashed, saying my location had changed and to confirm the new location, before it would let me resume programming. Which I did. Then I lost FSO and all my locals were South Florida channels.

When I got back to Cincinnati, it did the same thing and I got my Cincinnati channels back.

So I would think, if using a VPN from New York, it would do the same thing.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I agree. It's probably not your wireless router.

Plug a device directly into the cable modem. Still buffering? The culprit is either your device, cable modem, or your ISP. No more buffering? The culprit is either the wireless router or your network.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I had a similar problem when I first got it. I restarted my Roku and haven't had any problems since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

It may not be possible in your situation Jax, but I'm 40 miles (either way) from Dayton/Columbus, put up a good internal antenna (Leaf), and I'm getting my locals.
    I do that also thru antennas and TABLO DVR, just don't want to complicate things. If I can make it work, the one month VPN on a computer to NYC is the best solution. Come June or July whenever it is, I'm going to give it a shot.

If I'm lucky Amazon will sell Yes and it won't be an issue.

19. Likes:

GAC (01-07-2020)

Turn Off Ads?