Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibandel Isabel

Ibandel Isabel

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=isabel000iba

Consider me moderately intrigued by the prospect the Reds got in return for Ariel Hernandez. I suppose it is only natural that in trading a guy like Hernandez who has one huge flaw (throwing strikes), you in return get a guy who has one huge flaw (making contact). A .230 ISO is good. A 35% strikeout rate in A+ ball is, let's just say, not ideal. But there's probably something to be said for the fact that he's dominated some levels despite the strikeouts, our own Taylor Sparks never did.

He'll very likely never make enough contact to make any real noise in the system....but maybe...
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ibandel Isabel

He and LaValley don't seem too far apart as far as prospect value, so it will be interesting to see if they are willing to put those two on the same roster together. He hasn't played the outfield since 2014 so they are both purely 1B...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    He and LaValley don't seem too far apart as far as prospect value, so it will be interesting to see if they are willing to put those two on the same roster together. He hasn't played the outfield since 2014 so they are both purely 1B...
    At least initially Isabel will be in Daytona while LaValley is in Pensacola. They've also been playing LaValley at 3B again a little lately.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-18-2018)

he's not good and will only be with the organization for a short time

7. Likes:

REDREAD (04-19-2018)

Mylantis that swing is hideous. It's actually impressive he doesn't K more often with he does with all the noise in his swing. Toe-tap, huge leg kick, huge hitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgUhhmW_Yw
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Mylantis that swing is hideous. It's actually impressive he doesn't K more often with he does with all the noise in his swing. Toe-tap, huge leg kick, huge hitch.

But the baseball goes real far when he does hit it.

10. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-18-2018),StRedlegs900 (04-18-2018),Tom Servo (04-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    But the baseball goes real far when he does hit it.
    So I hear. I'm a tad surprised he was able to get to high A with that kind of swing before the organization made him change.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Per The Baseball Cube, his career minor league BABIP is .398. He must hit rockets when he connects.

13. Likes:

malcontent (04-18-2018)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Per The Baseball Cube, his career minor league BABIP is .398. He must hit rockets when he connects.
    Looks like very good bat speed to me. I'm holding out some hope on this one.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Ibandel Isabel, isn't that an elf name from a Tolkien book?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-30-2019),Tom Servo (04-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post

Bit of an Eric Davis hitch there.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Bit of an Eric Davis hitch there.
    Definitely looks like an Eric Davis hitch. Maybe Eric Davis can work with him to ditch the rest and keep just the hitch. While Davis had the big hitch the rest of his body was pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Ibandel Isabel, isn't that an elf name from a Tolkien book?
    No, it's a critically acclaimed Chilean writer.

20. Likes:

M2 (04-19-2018),Tom Servo (04-19-2018)

Ibandel has cut his K rate from 35-40% during his Dodgers career to 24.1% with the Reds so far. SSS alert, but promising to see nonetheless.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...17&position=1B

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-30-2019),mth123 (05-08-2018),Old school 1983 (05-08-2018),Tom Servo (05-08-2018)

Made the BA Hot Sheet this week

12. Ibandel Isabel, 1B, Reds
    Team: Double-A Chattanooga (Southern)
    Why He's Here: .323/.344/.742 (10-for-31), 5 R, 1 2B, 4 HRs, 7 RBIs, 1 BB, 10 SO

The Scoop: Ibandel has massive raw power, so when a pitcher make a mistake, he has the juice to drive it out to any part of the park. Ibandel's big swing and inability to control the strike zone lead to a lot of strikeouts and not many walks, but the pure power grades out among the best in the minors.
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...t-sheet-42919/

Turn Off Ads?