Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Stephenson note and question

Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    You guys need to handle whatever the issue is privately and not spend any more time bickering back in forth in the forum (in this thread or elsewhere). If ignoring each other is what's needed, then that's fine, but we're not going to continue with the personal stuff in the recent posts.
    My preference is definitely to talk baseball in this area but if posts that tell fellow RZers "to go to hell" are tolerated by the powers that be, then there's not much chance of that. Furthermore, if they're not removed and disciplined then it can be expected that such behavior will crop up again in the future.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My preference is definitely to talk baseball in this area but if posts that tell fellow RZers "to go to hell" are tolerated by the powers that be, then there's not much chance of that. Furthermore, if they're not removed and disciplined then it can be expected that such behavior will crop up again in the future.
    If this continues in the future, you can rest assured action(s) will be taken. This was the one and only warning we'll be giving to the people involved with this.

5. Likes:

DocRed (10-30-2019),REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Going by the silence I'd say folks have now had the fear of God instilled in them and are afraid to talk...but let's try to get back to where we left off.

I was making the point that I really hope Tyler Stephenson is the Reds future at catcher but recent history tells us that highly touted prospects are sometimes are gone in the cloud of a multiplayer trade where the Reds receive nothing more than a short term rental. I'd say Tyler is one bad season away from that. We desperately need a prospect to become our catcher and anchor the position for many yrs

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s also a fact a lot of “stud minor leaguers” don’t pan out.

Neither of those statements have anything to do with Tyler Stephenson. Has there been one rumor you can link to with the reds offering or listening to offers on Tyler Stephenson?
    It's not far fetched. In fact his being traded is already being floated:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    If they sign Grandal for 3/4 years, does Tyler Stephenson become a trade chip for Marte?

I love Stephenson but his value may just be peaking this offseason.

We desperately need a prospect to become our catcher and anchor the position for many yrs
    No we don't. I mean it'd be nice, but need? nah. If the Reds do in fact sign Grandal, then they don't need that to happen. They can draft the catcher of the future in June or maybe he's in the system in the lower minors. Like in the DSL.

What the Reds need isn't a catcher at all. The team needs a true CF, health all over, and two shut down relievers. And if the Reds do sign Grandall, the Stephenson can bring in a little haul to help the MLB team.

Health. This team needs health. I honestly don't care if Stephenson plays an inning behind the plate. He's not the key to success for 2020-2021.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

9. Likes:

SoTxRedsFan (11-04-2019)

Catcher, like CF, is one of the positions that needs a significant upgrade. What I meant by my statement is that we can't afford to tie up $70mill in a 31 yr old catcher. We're not that kind of team. For that reason we need a guy like Ty Stephenson to take it over. That'd would free up money to spend in other areas for the next 4 yrs.

11. Likes:

DocRed (11-11-2019),NC Reds (11-11-2019),RedlegJake (11-05-2019)

I agree Stephenson is a critical prospect....letting him develop is crucial. Ditto for Garcia. Right now, because of their critical positions, they are at the top of my prospect list. Lodolo, as a LH starter makes my short list, too. That is prospects you roll the dice with and don't trade. The Reds need to get this right for a change. India, Greene (bc of iffy health), Santillan are the guys you offer in deals. They may well be good MLers someday but all of them are easier to replace in subsequent drafts.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 11-05-2019 at 01:40 AM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

13. Likes:

DocRed (11-11-2019),M2 (11-05-2019),Sea Ray (11-06-2019),SErebel11 (11-09-2019)

Great piece on Tyler. Man what a beautiful swing

https://www.prospects1500.com/nl-cen...er-stephenson/

Also he is #53 overall on FG now.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...0000&pagenum=0

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    India, Stephenson, Greene, Lodolo, and Santillan (in that order) are all 50 grade guys and in the top 106 picks. (FG does things a bit differently.

Garcia is a 45+ with an arrow up and a ranking inside the top 125 or so.

16. Likes:

BillDoran (11-11-2019),Edd Roush (11-11-2019),REDREAD (11-14-2019)

Tyler looks like a guy with tremendous untapped power. His swing looks very Senzel like, not a lot of movement and geared toward line drives up the middle. If he gets those hips involved with a more pull heavy approach, look out.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    India, Stephenson, Greene, Lodolo, and Santillan (in that order) are all 50 grade guys and in the top 106 picks. (FG does things a bit differently.

Garcia is a 45+ with an arrow up and a ranking inside the top 125 or so.
    I thought the Reds' system was bereft of talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Catcher, like CF, is one of the positions that needs a significant upgrade. What I meant by my statement is that we can't afford to tie up $70mill in a 31 yr old catcher. We're not that kind of team. For that reason we need a guy like Ty Stephenson to take it over. That'd would free up money to spend in other areas for the next 4 yrs.
    I used to think the same, but my thinking evolved. I see 2020 as a huge window to capitalize on the solid starting rotation. Not sure they can afford to wait for Stephenson, unless they dramatically upgrade at SS and 2b or CF.

In 2021 Votto will also be 37 turning 38. I'm not saying 2020 is go for broke, and I don't want to trade off prospects for veterans. But I'm expecting a little regression in the starting rotation in 2021. Seems to me a Grandal signing is necessary in 2020 because Stephenson won't be ready and we face losing Bauer/Disco in 2021.

20. Likes:

mth123 (11-11-2019),REDREAD (11-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I used to think the same, but my thinking evolved. I see 2020 as a huge window to capitalize on the solid starting rotation. Not sure they can afford to wait for Stephenson, unless they dramatically upgrade at SS and 2b or CF.

In 2021 Votto will also be 37 turning 38. I'm not saying 2020 is go for broke, and I don't want to trade off prospects for veterans. But I'm expecting a little regression in the starting rotation in 2021. Seems to me a Grandal signing is necessary in 2020 because Stephenson won't be ready and we face losing Bauer/Disco in 2021.
    This exactly. If that isn't the plan and the budget won't allow it, then they need to deal Bauer and possibly Disco for longer term pieces who can help now and the future. Dealing those two could probably fill all the holes in the line-up for the foreseeable future and there are FA pitchers available who will cost less than the bats they need to sign.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

REDREAD (11-14-2019)

Was featured on MLB tonight and MLB.com as a potential breakout candidate. They are a year late but good to see him get the recognition nonetheless.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/breako...pects-for-2020

24. Likes:

NC Reds (01-04-2020),REDREAD (01-06-2020)

After producing a 55.8 percent FB+LD rate while hitting a career-high 11 homers in 2018, Stephenson, a hulking, 6-foot-4 right-handed hitter, improved his FB+LD rate to 59.9 percent in ’19, the fifth-best rate among non-Triple-A Top 30 Prospects (200 BIP min.). His LD rate improved for a third straight year, too, climbing up to 22.6 percent.

Basically, Stephenson’s batted-ball data highlights how he already possesses an advanced feel for the zone and for making hard contact. Tapping into the massive raw power that he showcased during both batting practice and games during this year’s Arizona Fall League will be the next step, and with a solid foundation as a hitter in place, it’s seemingly only a matter of time until Stephenson’s power emerges in earnest.

This is the most undervalued player in the Reds system and why I have no interest in signing a catcher. His untapped potential is massive. Once one of the regular catchers goes on the IL, I think he’s up to stay. I’m a TySteve convert and believer.

Hallelujah.

26. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-04-2020)

Turn Off Ads?