Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Stephenson note and question

Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

Kid has been raking of late .380 since the August 1st. I could see a second half callup that might alleviate some of our catching concerns should we not sign a FA catcher in the off season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

HR in Fall Stars Game!

https://www.mlb.com/reds

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-14-2019),marcshoe (10-12-2019),NC Reds (10-13-2019),REDREAD (10-14-2019),WrongVerb (10-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    HR in Fall Stars Game!

https://www.mlb.com/reds
    Just saw this on twitter. Really nice swing and think he could develop some serious power.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-13-2019)

I imagine we all know better than to put too much stock into AFL success, but is Stephenson ready?

He had a very solid season in Chattanooga, posting a .285/.372/.410 slash line. He clearly popped in the AFL, albeit in <50 PA. He'll only be 23 on Opening Day, but he has played five seasons of professional baseball.

The obvious answer is: Keep with the plan. Let the development unfold slowly. And I'd be pretty shocked if he was on the OD 25, but I suspect he may be closer than we realize. He's got that massive frame, and he seems capable of hitting for average and being patient. When/If that power comes, he could be a big plus to the big league roster. Still not super clear on his defense (though the refrain has been improvement, but his CS% would rank toward the bottom of major league starters). But if looks good in spring training, you have to wonder if it might be time to give him the No. 2 role and 200 PA in 2020. A lot of different ways you could do this; unloading Barnhart, keeping Barnhart, signing a FA star, signing a stopgap, but Stephenson has to at the very least be in the consideration, if only as a comer or outside shot.

Worst case scenario, I think Stephenson gains some helium, and he starts showing up in top 100 lists.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (10-13-2019),REDREAD (10-14-2019),texasdave (10-13-2019)

For most prospects, I'd think AAA for half a season, then getting his feet wet in the majors at the halfway mark.

However, Stephenson is a catcher and, historically, teams are loathe to switch catchers during the season.

I suspect he'll get a few ABs in late September next season.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-17-2019),Benihana (10-13-2019),DocRed (10-13-2019),Edd Roush (10-14-2019),M2 (10-13-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I expect he'll be called up if/when a catcher goes on the IL.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-17-2019)

In response to Vander's question, Kiley McDaniel has good things to say about Tyler at 12.51.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mc...chat-10-16-19/

14. Likes:

DocRed (10-16-2019),Edd Roush (10-16-2019),Griffey012 (10-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    In response to Vander's question, Kiley McDaniel has good things to say about Tyler at 12.51.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mc...chat-10-16-19/
    That seems to have been the report on Tyler the past 12-24 months...he's just solid across the board. Which just leaves a jump in one area, be it defense, power, hit tool etc to make him an above average guy, if not a star.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-16-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That seems to have been the report on Tyler the past 12-24 months...he's just solid across the board. Which just leaves a jump in one area, be it defense, power, hit tool etc to make him an above average guy, if not a star.
    I mean Kiley did say his tools are "bonkers" so that coupled with steady production should be someone we can dream on in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    For most prospects, I'd think AAA for half a season, then getting his feet wet in the majors at the halfway mark.

However, Stephenson is a catcher and, historically, teams are loathe to switch catchers during the season.

I suspect he'll get a few ABs in late September next season.
    or... start the season as the team's primary catcher, with Casali doing the personal caddy thing for Gray. Barnhart traded.

I could get behind that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Let's hope management doesn't throw him in on a deal that nets us a one yr rental.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let's hope management doesn't throw him in on a deal that nets us a one yr rental.
    Nice contribution, thanks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-17-2019),RedTeamGo! (10-16-2019),Wonderful Monds (10-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Nice contribution, thanks.
    Is that all you have to contribute? At least my post had to do with baseball.

Here's the thing: Much has been written on these pages about past stud minor leaguers only to see them thrown in as a part of deals that net the Reds very short term help. That's a fact.

24. Likes:

DocRed (10-28-2019),REDREAD (10-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is that all you have to contribute? At least my post had to do with baseball.

Here's the thing: Much has been written on these pages about past stud minor leaguers only to see them thrown in as a part of deals that net the Reds very short term help. That's a fact.
    It’s also a fact a lot of “stud minor leaguers” don’t pan out.

Neither of those statements have anything to do with Tyler Stephenson. Has there been one rumor you can link to with the reds offering or listening to offers on Tyler Stephenson?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s also a fact a lot of “stud minor leaguers” don’t pan out.

Neither of those statements have anything to do with Tyler Stephenson. Has there been one rumor you can link to with the reds offering or listening to offers on Tyler Stephenson?
    Of course a lot of stud minor leaguers don't pan out. That's the case whether Stephenson stays in the organization or not. That's a given. We all get that.

Yes, the statement has everything to do with Tyler Stephenson. Weren't you the one who criticized me for not reading between the lines? You obviously didn't get my point here so I'll hit you between the eyes with it so there's no doubt:

I implore the Reds NOT to trade Tyler Stephenson for a rental.

Trade rumors are irrelevant because they're just that. You put stock into rumors?

27. Likes:

HokieRed (10-17-2019),RedlegJake (10-17-2019),REDREAD (10-28-2019)

Turn Off Ads?