Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Angels @ Reds 8-5-19

Re: Angels @ Reds 8-5-19

It's a great managerial move to take your hottest hitter - Ervin - and bench him until he cools off. That takes away the other team's advantage of guessing what your going to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    a right-handed reliever is starting the game
    I'm pretty sure Aquino is right-handed like Ervin. I'd rather see the latter.

2. Likes:

TeamSelig (08-05-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    It's a great managerial move to take your hottest hitter - Ervin - and bench him until he cools off. That takes away the other team's advantage of guessing what your going to do.
    So Ervin was just going to keep batting .350 if only the Reds hadn't stopped playing him every day, I guess.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-05-2019),RiverRat13 (08-05-2019),Rolando (08-05-2019)

- - - Updated - - -

the hottest hitter stuff is a myth. I will give him credit he had a great couple weeks but I still think he is what he is oportun fourth outfielder at best and that's great because if you want to be a good team you need those guys to you need plenty of depth. I like Phillip Ervin I just don't think he's anything special that's all
    Crazy Reds Fan

7. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-05-2019)

So the LHP is only pitching the first inning?? Why lead off with Winker then?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    So the LHP is only pitching the first inning?? Why lead off with Winker then?
    the right-hander is starting
    Crazy Reds Fan

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-05-2019),TeamSelig (08-05-2019)

Taylor Cole RHP Opening today now, has 5 "starts" this year. No ER in his first 4 and then Cleveland bombed him last time out.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=p&year=2019

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-05-2019)

Okay thanks for the clarification. Now my question switches to why Peraza and not JVM?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Okay thanks for the clarification. Now my question switches to why Peraza and not JVM?
    This is a lineup to face a LHP. Except that with the RH opener, Winker gets the lead off spot. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ervin replaces him if there’s a key spot mid-game against the LHP.

It’s a bit of a hybrid, but one good reason to use the opener is to make it difficult to create an opposing lineup. It’s a good effort by Reds IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-05-2019 at 04:21 PM.

15. Likes:

mhs95_06 (08-05-2019),Rolando (08-05-2019),Ron Madden (08-05-2019)

Was the appeal of the suspensions today?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So Ervin was just going to keep batting .350 if only the Reds hadn't stopped playing him every day, I guess.
    He will bat .350 until he bats .220. Just like Dietrich hit 11-12 HRs a month right up until he hit zero in a month. The point is that you allow a hot streak run its course on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    the hottest hitter stuff is a myth. I will give him credit he had a great couple weeks but I still think he is what he is oportun fourth outfielder at best and that's great because if you want to be a good team you need those guys to you need plenty of depth. I like Phillip Ervin I just don't think he's anything special that's all
    Anybody who's played sports knows it's not a myth. There are times when you're in the zone and everything is easier. There are also times when everything is a grind. They are NOT the same thing.

19. Likes:

Alabama (08-05-2019),Ironman92 (08-05-2019),mgbrown66 (08-05-2019)

He will bat .350 until he bats .220. Just like Dietrich hit 11-12 HRs a month right up until he hit zero in a month. The point is that you allow a hot streak run its course on it's own.
    How do you know when the hot streak is over? After a week's worth of AB's with a .100 BA? A month's worth? If you play him until he's hitting .220, then you are going to have a really crappy player in your lineup for quite a while. You don't get to foresee how long a streak lasts.

Wouldn't it be simpler/wiser to just play your best players?

21. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-05-2019)

Who does Ervin play over? Winker is hitting 338/434/508/942 over his past 28 games. Does that qualify as a hot hitter? Senzel? Ervin shouldn't play CF. Aquino and Van Meter have been better this year.

Nobody was begging for more Phil Ervin after he got 300 plate appearances last year.

He probably hits for Winker at some point today, though.

23. Likes:

Rolando (08-05-2019)

Re: 8/5/2019 Reds vs Trouts

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Someone on Twitter said this pitcher will be an "opener". So he is only going a couple of innings if that is true.
    Surely they'll leave him in until he at least allows a baserunner. Will they pinch hit for him if he hasn't allowed a base runner and his spot comes up with bases loaded and 2 out in a 0-0 game in the 2nd?

- - - Updated - - -

I like Ervin. I feel about 99% sure Ervin is on the team next year splitting time with Winker. But we need to see Aquino.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

26. Likes:

Chip R (08-06-2019)

Turn Off Ads?