Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oakland Raiders

Re: 2019 Oakland Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    AB hasn't been the same since Burfict lit him up.

And Burfict hasn't been the same since JuJu lit him up the following season.

Now both over-concussed casualties from that bitter rivalry are together again, mere shells of their former selves.
    AB said all the new helmets compromise his vision, so it's about him performing at the quality he wants to rather than worrying about his safety.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

About 10 minutes ago, my neighbor, a Steelers fan, shouted over the fence that he thinks that Burfict hit made him crazy.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    AB had 100 receptions, 1300 yards, and 15 TDs last season.
    It’s not all about performance, it’s about his mental health.

I don’t know how many Steelers fans you know (I live in Steeler country), but the majority of the fans have echoed what Bob said. Burfict knocked a screw loose. He wasn’t the same player after that hit and I think there are some lingering effects from a hit like that (likewise with Jujus block on Burfict).

It could also be not knowing how to handle fame. I believe that is a real possibility as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I misunderstood Bob, then. I thought he meant he hasn’t been the same player.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    AB said all the new helmets compromise his vision, so it's about him performing at the quality he wants to rather than worrying about his safety.
    The new helmets prevent the same number of concussions the old ones do... none. There is no way to prevent concussions in football unless you turn it into flag football. The thing that changes with the helmets is likelihood of skull fractures.

Brown has also said the ban on his helmet is arbitrary because it was never tested.
    Last edited by Slyder; 08-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I just find it hard to believe the NFL suddenly cares, my guess is there is a financial benefit to the league forcing everyone to a new style.
    Sure. It shows good faith that they are at least paying lip service to the problem. Since they are fighting numerous concussion lawsuits, mandating these helmets looks like they care and it may help them in any settlements or awards or verdicts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Sure. It shows good faith that they are at least paying lip service to the problem. Since they are fighting numerous concussion lawsuits, mandating these helmets looks like they care and it may help them in any settlements or awards or verdicts.
    That's it.

If they want to improve player safety regarding helmets, turn the outside of them into a spongy material and the interior hard to protect the skull.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If they want to improve player safety regarding helmets, turn the outside of them into a spongy material and the interior hard to protect the skull.
    https://www.krem.com/article/news/he.../293-568099418

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    AB had 100 receptions, 1300 yards, and 15 TDs last season.
    I meant mentally, sorry I should have clarified.

If Burfict doesn't ring his bell like that, the erratic behavior that ended his time in Pittsburgh probably doesn't happen.

As for on the field ability, we shall see...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

As for concussions, I think the best thing they could do is remove the helmets and pads altogether.

Like Rugby. Players will find out very quickly and adjust... if you throw yourself at another player, yeah, that's gonna hurt. Lead with the crown of your head? Dead.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Mayock spoke about the situation today and it seems the Raiders are running out of patience with AB...

You all know that AB is not here today. So here’s the bottom line. He’s upset about the helmet issue. We have supported that. We appreciate that, OK? But at this point, we’ve pretty much exhausted all avenues of relief. So, from our perspective, it’s time for him to be all in or all out. OK? So we’re hoping he’s back soon. We’ve got 89 guys busting their tails. We are really excited about where this franchise is going. And we hope AB’s going to be a big part of it starting Week 1 against Denver.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Mayock spoke about the situation today and it seems the Raiders are running out of patience with AB...
    I heard one theory that I hope is what's going on. The Raiders are on Hard Knocks this year and AB's antics serve a couple things.

A) Ratings as people tune in to try and see what he's going to do next.
    B) Allows him to "sit" out without being blatent, lets the Raiders look at the rest of the core and see who 2-5 are going to be.
    C) Saves pointless contact wear and tear on his 31 year old legs.
    C) He's been working with DC just no pads/helmet time.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

When the Raiders make a good move (or a great one, in this case) it needs to be praised.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Raiders signed C Rodney Hudson to a three-year, $33.75 million contract extension.

Per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, the deal includes $24.4 million in guaranteed money. Hudson, who was headed for the open market after this year, is now the league's highest-paid center, topping the previous high-water mark set by Buffalo's Mitch Morse earlier this offseason. A two-time Pro Bowler, Hudson earned PFF's top pass-blocking grade among qualified centers last season.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Turn Off Ads?