Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Musing on the state of the minors August 2019

Re: Musing on the state of the minors August 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    From my perspective, I check box scores every other night or so at each level, and the following guys are the only ones I care about at each level:
    AAA- Siri and Alfredo
    AA- India Fairchild Stephenson
    Daytona- Garcia
    Dayton- Sianai
    Billings- nobody
    Greeneville- Callahan and would’ve been Hinds but I think he’s either really hurt or really in trouble.
    For a team that hasn’t been above 500 in 5 years and won’t be this year, that’s pathetic. The only pitcher that excites is Lodolo.
    All of the above guys are holding their own, but if I’m being honest, I don’t see any of them outside of Lodolo being huge impact players.
    I think Quin Cotton and Medrano are worth monitoring in Billings. Edwin Yon is an interesting player as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by brian5562 View Post
    I think Quin Cotton and Medrano are worth monitoring in Billings. Edwin Yon is an interesting player as well.
    Yeah I like Cotton and am intrigued with Yang as well in Billings. Thinking Yang May be a fast riser

Gutierrez is OPS'-ing .900+ at Louisville, while he pitched a heck of a game tonight. Call him up Sep 1. It's not like we're saving his team control for anything.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Gutierrez is OPS'-ing .900+ at Louisville, while he pitched a heck of a game tonight. Call him up Sep 1. It's not like we're saving his team control for anything.
    Vlad is not getting a Sep callup. He has an ERA of 6.36 and is not on the 40 man roster. And according to Kism he does not have to be protected this off-season.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I check the box scores in Daytona for one of our newest players Jameson Hannah.
    He was a 2nd round pick by the A's last year (who many had hyped as a 1st) and i can see him starting in CF for us in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    OPS? He has 13 plate appearances. His slugging % is like .563 - he has 1 HR, no doubles or triples. Why in the world does his OPS matter?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Vlad is not getting a Sep callup. He has an ERA of 6.36 and is not on the 40 man roster. And according to Kism he does not have to be protected this off-season.
    It is time to try him in the bullpen.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 08-18-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Don't know exactly where to put this, but Greeneville hurler Randy Wynne whiffed 17 today - https://www.milb.com/milb/news/cinci...rt/c-310156756
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-20-2019),HokieRed (08-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Don't know exactly where to put this, but Greeneville hurler Randy Wynne whiffed 17 today - https://www.milb.com/milb/news/cinci...rt/c-310156756
    Check out his strikeout to walk ratio this year 49/1 !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Gutierrez pitched tonight and managed to have his ERA go up from 6.39 to 6.48
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

13. Likes:

M2 (08-20-2019)

Gutierrez pitched tonight and managed to have his ERA go up from 6.39 to 6.48
    He truly is a miracle on the mound.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Wynne is 26 in low A. I'm rooting for him, but he's got a long way to go to convince me he's got something.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Wynne is 26 in low A. I'm rooting for him, but he's got a long way to go to convince me he's got something.
    Interesting story. From Southern California and went to a local juco, followed by Missouri Baptist, an NAIA school in St. Louis. He went undrafted and played for two years in Utica, Michigan. After aging out of the United Shore League, he has been a mainstay in the Evansville Otters' rotation for the past two seasons.

Gotta give the dude credit for his persistence. Definitely one you can root for.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Aquino strikes me as the other guy who could maybe carve out a long-term starting role.

I gotta ask... what more does Josh Van meter have to do to show that he belongs in the bigs? At a bare minimum, he has shown himself to be an excellent first man off the bench. What about him convinces you that he will never be a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    I gotta ask... what more does Josh Van meter have to do to show that he belongs in the bigs? At a bare minimum, he has shown himself to be an excellent first man off the bench. What about him convinces you that he will never be a starter?
    I think he at least needs to start most games vs RHP. I would like to see him get a look vs LHP given his numbers in AAA, but the Reds would rather waste more time on Peraza.

Just an update on a few of the guys who would be in probably our top 7 prospects had they not been traded.
    Downs got promoted to AA, his first game was against the Sod Poodles and featured, Downs, Gray, and Trammel.
    Gray appears to be on a pitch limit. He went 4.1 giving up 1 run and striking out 6. On the year he has a 2.1 ERA, 136 Ks in 124 innings while only walking 27. 136 to 27 will play. He’d be our top pitching prospect depending on how you value Green and Lodolo.
    Downs was 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run in his debut. This kid is just a playmaker. On the year he is:
    272, 356, 507, 863 OPS. 19 homers 23 steals. 97 Ks 54 walks. Super exciting prospect. Two years younger than India. I honestly think he’d be our top position prospect. Probably 3 overall with Gray right with him. Sure fire top 5.
    Trammel was 1 for 4 and I’m not sure when or if he’s going to turn it on. His star has fallen hard

Turn Off Ads?