Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Time to start a new season.

The Dutch league got going last week. England, France and Portugal kickoff this weekend.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

I know the consensus perception in the PL is that Man City and Liverpool will run away from the pack again but I'm not so sure -- both played at such a high level the last 18 months or so, including some luck, I just have a hard time believing we'll see something like 98-97 again. It's just a matter of whether they fall back enough for anyone else to get close. Might as well flip a coin on the next four, I have no idea what to expect.

On the other end of the projected table, hardly anyone seems to think Sheffield United will stay up, but almost everyone thinks Aston Villa will. Sensible given their signings but then Fulham splashed some cash last summer and we saw what happened... Brighton and Burnley seem to be the trendy picks for holdover teams to fall into the bottom three.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I know the consensus perception in the PL is that Man City and Liverpool will run away from the pack again but I'm not so sure -- both played at such a high level the last 18 months or so, including some luck, I just have a hard time believing we'll see something like 98-97 again. It's just a matter of whether they fall back enough for anyone else to get close. Might as well flip a coin on the next four, I have no idea what to expect.

On the other end of the projected table, hardly anyone seems to think Sheffield United will stay up, but almost everyone thinks Aston Villa will. Sensible given their signings but then Fulham splashed some cash last summer and we saw what happened... Brighton and Burnley seem to be the trendy picks for holdover teams to fall into the bottom three.
    Everyone picked Brighton to go down last season, but they managed to stay up. I hope they can do well this season, but it's hard to say with a new manager. Besides that, I'll be watching Chelsea games even though I don't like them, just to see how Pulisic does.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

A little La Liga action here.

Barca gets its heart broken by Aritz Aduriz.

And Toni Kroos finds the upper corner with a laser.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Everyone picked Brighton to go down last season, but they managed to stay up. I hope they can do well this season, but it's hard to say with a new manager. Besides that, I'll be watching Chelsea games even though I don't like them, just to see how Pulisic does.
    Spoiler Alert: It’s gonna be a really long season, which will lead to Roman going crazy and buying replacement players by the truckload as soon as the transfer ban ends.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

There's a 16-year-old Angolan kid named Eduardo Camavinga playing CM for Stade Rennais and he's kind of fantastic. Great first touch, passing range and speed of play. Got a feeling he's going to be a hot property in the coming years.

After a couple of league weeks, I'm thinking that the new goal kick rule (where the kick no longer has to leave the penalty area) is leading some teams to try to play out of the back who aren't really good enough to play out of the back. That'll work itself out over time, I guess.

9. Likes:

M2 (08-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    After a couple of league weeks, I'm thinking that the new goal kick rule (where the kick no longer has to leave the penalty area) is leading some teams to try to play out of the back who aren't really good enough to play out of the back. That'll work itself out over time, I guess.
    It's going to increase the demand for defenders who are good on the ball.

No other safe spot to really put my thoughts as an LFC supporter so might as well go here. I think Arsenal might embarrass Liverpool this weekend. The defensive line that Liverpool has been trying to hold has been problematic all through preseason and it's translated into the start of the year. They should have lost to Southampton with how they played but the win may have papered over the defensive issues that Auba, Lacazette, and Pepe are more likely to exploit.

I think it's a CL hangover issue, not a personnel issue, so it will get ironed out but I could see this weekend being a real problem.

Would be happy to be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    No other safe spot to really put my thoughts as an LFC supporter so might as well go here. I think Arsenal might embarrass Liverpool this weekend. The defensive line that Liverpool has been trying to hold has been problematic all through preseason and it's translated into the start of the year. They should have lost to Southampton with how they played but the win may have papered over the defensive issues that Auba, Lacazette, and Pepe are more likely to exploit.

I think it's a CL hangover issue, not a personnel issue, so it will get ironed out but I could see this weekend being a real problem.

Would be happy to be wrong!
    As an Arsenal fan I’d love for you to be right but Arsenal hasn’t been impressive in either win.

Pepe hasn’t started yet. Ozil hasn’t dressed yet. They’ve dominated possession against two weaker teams, but haven’t created a ton of chances. I think Arsenal has potential and the Ceballos signing looks like it might be a steal, but getting it right against Liverpool would be a pleasant surprise let’s say.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    As an Arsenal fan I’d love for you to be right but Arsenal hasn’t been impressive in either win.

Pepe hasn’t started yet. Ozil hasn’t dressed yet. They’ve dominated possession against two weaker teams, but haven’t created a ton of chances. I think Arsenal has potential and the Ceballos signing looks like it might be a steal, but getting it right against Liverpool would be a pleasant surprise let’s say.
    Officially, Ceballos is a loan. I like him. Hope he gets a chance to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Officially, Ceballos is a loan. I like him. Hope he gets a chance to shine.
    Right good point. He was excellent last weekend, easily the best guy on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Well, it's partially a personnel issue, at least until Adrian's rate of goal-gifting drops to under one per week. But otherwise I agree, the cohesion isn't totally there yet.

16. Likes:

schmidty622 (08-21-2019)

Champions League draw looks favorable for most of the big clubs - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49516472

Most interesting groups are

Group G: Zenit St Petersburg, Benfica, Lyon, RB Leipzig

Group H: Chelsea, Ajax, Valencia, Lille

Double post
    Last edited by Betterread; 09-07-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Turn Off Ads?