Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Euro 2020 qualifying update: 17 of 20 “automatic qualifiers” are in. A few games left on Monday/Tuesday to determine last three. If Wales wins a home game they will get in. Finland qualified for the first time.
    For some non-qualifiers there is a playoff for four remaining spots. This involves the new four leagues A-D which is new to me and something I am learning about as it occurs.

2. Likes:

schmidty622 (11-18-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Finland qualified for the first time.
    Teemu Pukki becoming one of the top strikers on the planet is maybe the coolest thing in sports.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Teemu Pukki becoming one of the top strikers on the planet is maybe the coolest thing in sports.
    He’s not even close. Had a good start to the season but has been really poor lately. He’s a fun story though.

6. Likes:

schmidty622 (11-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    He’s not even close. Had a good start to the season but has been really poor lately. He’s a fun story though.
    From the start of the 2018-19 season, he's scored 46 goals, that includes 10 on the international stage while carrying Finland into its first Euro tournament. At the moment, he's got as many Premier League goals on the season as Harry Kane and Mo Salah, and he's doing that while playing for Norwich. Pukki doesn't have the luxury of playing for an elite club or national team, but his goal return is still outstanding. Norwich probably will cling to him in January in an attempt to avoid relegation, but a transfer to a higher profile club has got to be coming next summer. Pukki scores with almost no help around him.

From the start of the 2018-19 season, he's scored 46 goals, that includes 10 on the international stage while carrying Finland into its first Euro tournament. At the moment, he's got as many Premier League goals on the season as Harry Kane and Mo Salah, and he's doing that while playing for Norwich. Pukki doesn't have the luxury of playing for an elite club or national team, but his goal return is still outstanding. Norwich probably will cling to him in January in an attempt to avoid relegation, but a transfer to a higher profile club has got to be coming next summer. Pukki scores with almost no help around him.
    29 of those goals came in the English second division. He also hasn’t score a premier league goal in 2 months. He had a hot start to the season. He has done well for Finland but outside of Italy, that’s a weak group. He’s 29 and although he may get a move if Norwich continue to struggle, I doubt it would be to one of the top 8 teams.

29 of those goals came in the English second division. He also hasn’t score a premier league goal in 2 months. He had a hot start to the season. He has done well for Finland but outside of Italy, that’s a weak group. He’s 29 and although he may get a move if Norwich continue to struggle, I doubt it would be to one of the top 8 teams.
    My guess is he'd move to the continent, though Arsenal, ManU and Everton could use him. Wolves too. Scored again today against Greece, and practically all they do is play defense. Something happened to him during his time in Norway. He's an evolved animal from he was at Celtic (and he was good there).

My guess is he'd move to the continent, though Arsenal, ManU and Everton could use him. Wolves too. Scored again today against Greece, and practically all they do is play defense. Something happened to him during his time in Norway. He's an evolved animal from he was at Celtic (and he was good there).
    Those first 3 will be aiming a lot higher. Wolves have Jiminez and Jota who I think are better. They could use him as a 3rd option with Europa league fixtures and squad rotation needed.

I saw some of him at Celtic, 9 goals in 37 games is OK, but isn’t going to cut it there.

Wales qualifies with a win over Hungary. They also announced the four seeding pots. How does Ukraine get a first seed, while France is a second seed and Portugal is a third seed? This Euro tournament has a new format for qualifications and fewer neutral sites.

Someone please explain to me how Jose Mourinho is always the first one mentioned for openings at big clubs? Makes no sense to me at all.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

13. Likes:

M2 (11-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Wales qualifies with a win over Hungary. They also announced the four seeding pots. How does Ukraine get a first seed, while France is a second seed and Portugal is a third seed? This Euro tournament has a new format for qualifications and fewer neutral sites.
    FIFA rankings are weird. Belgium, Russia and Denmark are already in a group together before the official draw. Meanwhile, every wants to avoid France and Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Someone please explain to me how Jose Mourinho is always the first one mentioned for openings at big clubs? Makes no sense to me at all.
    His style is a bit outdated but if he can modernise his approach he is still one of the best out there. He’s record in multiple countries speaks for itself. Man Utd is the only club he hasn’t won a league title with.

His style is a bit outdated but if he can modernise his approach he is still one of the best out there. He’s record in multiple countries speaks for itself. Man Utd is the only club he hasn’t won a league title with.
    Mourinho lost his fastball when he was at Madrid. Don't think he's getting it back. He's an egomaniac who seeks to stifle his best players. Can't stand them getting credit over his game plan. Though he'd probably never consider it, Mou needs to be at a mid-tier club (e.g. Everton) that he can push to play above its head. Maybe Milan would give him free reign in an effort to reclaim its spot among the elite. If he goes to Tottenham, my prediction is there will be a wholesale exodus this coming summer and Mou will bristle when Levy refuses to make a bunch of splashy buys.

Mourinho lost his fastball when he was at Madrid. Don't think he's getting it back. He's an egomaniac who seeks to stifle his best players. Can't stand them getting credit over his game plan. Though he'd probably never consider it, Mou needs to be at a mid-tier club (e.g. Everton) that he can push to play above its head. Maybe Milan would give him free reign in an effort to reclaim its spot among the elite. If he goes to Tottenham, my prediction is there will be a wholesale exodus this coming summer and Mou will bristle when Levy refuses to make a bunch of splashy buys.
    You are massively underselling Jose Mourinho. The United board did not listen to him, refused to sign players he wanted. Still won 3 trophies with them.

18. Likes:

Betterread (11-20-2019)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Well, I guess the "if" has been resolved. Not the way I would have gone if I was Spurs. Then again, first rule of triage is to stop the bleeding. Spurs was at the tail end of its window that opened when all that good young talent hit at once, and there was probably an exodus coming anyway, Ericksen and Alderweireld and possibly others. Mourinho might be able to wring what's left out of the squad until then. You certainly don't hire him for a long-term plan.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

20. Likes:

M2 (11-20-2019)

You are massively underselling Jose Mourinho. The United board did not listen to him, refused to sign players he wanted. Still won 3 trophies with them.
    United spent more money than any club in the world while he was there. I watched him essentially waste three years with a Madrid team that went on to win Europe four times after he left. He's the wrong man to unlock a top end team that wants to play positive football, and he's been reviled by the players at his most recent stops. He's not worth the drama.

Turn Off Ads?