Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    I wouldn’t call it the British style, that’s Ramos style. He hates when players get the better of him and always resorts to kicking and hacking once this is the case.

Some big decisions needed at Barca. Potchetino or Xavi are the two names being banded about and I think Potch would be a great choice.

In other news, Hibs unbeaten start to the season continues with a 0-0 draw at home. 4 games without deafest is nothing to be sniffed at even if the performances have been below par.
    I think maybe things are getting better in the EPL.
    But as long as I have memories of Joey Barton, Roy Keane, Martin Taylor, Vinnie Jones, Ryan Shawcross, Ben Thatcher, Duncan Ferguson and even glamor players like John Terry, Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling and Kevin Davies, then I think of late savage lunges on a player dribbling past them as a British style.

It hurts England at the international level: the “physical” EPL killed Gazza, almost destroyed Michael Owen at an early age, even affected the maniacal Rooney, who was always exhausted in the summer tournaments.
    Last edited by Betterread; 08-15-2020 at 07:39 PM.

2. Likes:

M2 (08-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Time for completely unfounded speculation. City once again goes out without getting particularly close to the title. Their ownership has more ridiculous money to spend and it just got freed of FFP restrictions. Meanwhile Barcelona got annihilated, Messi is 33 and out of contract after next season. If he's looking at his supporting cast and thinking a rebuilding project will eat up the rest of his late prime, this could be the perfect fit of an iconic player ready to force a move and a club willing to pay anything for him.
    If they're going to spend a ton of money anyway, the best thing a rival of City can hope for is that it be spent unwisely. Breaking the bank for a player on the wrong side of 30 that doesn't actually address their biggest problems might qualify. Not to say he wouldn't make them even more ridiculous offensively in the short term.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I think maybe things are getting better in the EPL.
    But as long as I have memories of Joey Barton, Roy Keane, Martin Taylor, Vinnie Jones, Ryan Shawcross, Ben Thatcher, Duncan Ferguson and even glamor players like John Terry, Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling and Kevin Davies, then I think of late savage lunges on a player dribbling past them as a British style.

It hurts England at the international level: the “physical” EPL killed Gazza, almost destroyed Michael Owen at an early age, even affected the maniacal Rooney, who was always exhausted in the summer tournaments.
    It's gotten better, at least at the top level. They don't randomly kick chunks out of each other anymore. Robbie Savage is no longer the most aptly named man on the planet. Lower levels are still a bit of a bloodbath, though Serie B and La Segunda are no picnics either.
    Last edited by M2; 08-16-2020 at 02:40 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    If they're going to spend a ton of money anyway, the best thing a rival of City can hope for is that it be spent unwisely. Breaking the bank for a player on the wrong side of 30 that doesn't actually address their biggest problems might qualify. Not to say he wouldn't make them even more ridiculous offensively in the short term.
    I'm all for going young, but City's aching for that first European title and the status that comes with it. The owners have poured obscene amounts of money into making them an elite club and the reality is they never will be until they get a star on their crest. If Messi can get it for them, he'll be worth every penny. Do they have a bigger need than someone who can elevate them on the biggest stage? They've got "do not care" money. They can buy others too.

I'm all for going young, but City's aching for that first European title and the status that comes with it. The owners have poured obscene amounts of money into making them an elite club and the reality is they never will be until they get a star on their crest. If Messi can get it for them, he'll be worth every penny. Do they have a bigger need than someone who can elevate them on the biggest stage? They've got "do not care" money. They can buy others too.
    This is why I’m desperate for Bayern to win the UCL this season. For as good a team as they have, they rarely spend obscene amounts on transfers. They buy shrewdly. They do however poach a huge amount of young talent from other German teams as well. I’d prefer them over PSG or City any day.

8. Likes:

schmidty622 (08-15-2020)

This is why I’m desperate for Bayern to win the UCL this season. For as good a team as they have, they rarely spend obscene amounts on transfers. They buy shrewdly. They do however poach a huge amount of young talent from other German teams as well. I’d prefer them over PSG or City any day.
    I'm rooting for Lyon. Plus, I can't hold being big spenders against a club from Paris. My only problem with them is Neymar. It was an absolute gift when my team didn't sign him. Much as Leipzig is a Frankenstein's monster of a club, it would upend the traditional European power structure a bit if it won. I'm generally on board with a first time winner this season.

I am on board with The part about preferring them to City or PSG, but as for being “shrewd”...
    Bayern knows you have to pay to play:
    From information earlier this year about the biggest European football club budgets, Barca spends close to $600 million a year on salaries, by far the biggest spender, but the rest of the top six in Europe are Real Madrid. Man City, Man U, PSG and Bayern, with the bavarians shelling out $350-$400 million/ yr for salaries.
    Bayern spends more than Chelsea, the Russian oligarchs charity of choice!
    For reference the NFL salary cap for 2021 is roughly $200 million/yr.
    in the Bundesliga, it is double what the closest spending club pays (Dortmund).
    Last edited by Betterread; 08-15-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Side point about wage bills, I'd argue Bayern does it the right way. It buys players that it keeps for a very long time and it pays to keep them. It's the clubs that cycle high wage players like holiday decorations (lately Barcelona and Man U) that deserve most of the criticism. Doesn't mean everybody works out, but Boateng, Neuer, Thiago, Lewa and Kimmich have been there long enough you can be forgiven for forgetting they were transfers. Got no problem with them paying to keep the core of their squad.

Sevilla is a force of nature in the Europa League. ManU never had a chance.

I expect sometime in the next decade for them to go deep in the Champions League and make a real run at the La Liga title. They come from a large and growing metro area. Their club culture is they go at everyone regardless of the name on the laundry. It's a club that believes in itself. Could make waves as soon as this coming season if they can build on what they've got.

13. Likes:

Betterread (08-18-2020)

I’m no Man U Fan, but they were much better than Sevilla in today’s match. Sevilla was very fortunate to win. They stayed focused and befitted from Lindelof’s complete omission to mark his man on the winning goal. Man U has a number of fantastically skilled players but they just, sort of play really dumb football at bad times.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I’m no Man U Fan, but they were much better than Sevilla in today’s match. Sevilla was very fortunate to win. They stayed focused and befitted from Lindelof’s complete omission to mark his man on the winning goal. Man U has a number of fantastically skilled players but they just, sort of play really dumb football at bad times.
    ManU was pretty toothless for the last hour. Sevilla eventually got more of the ball and found a couple of combinations that worked. Always hard to say whether timing is the residue of design or chance, but my take on the game was fairly early on Sevilla saw everything ManU had while it kept stretching ManU's defense. Yet my larger take is no matter how a Europa League game goes or how any person might view it, it usually ends with a Sevilla victory.

16. Likes:

Betterread (08-18-2020)

Inter crushed Shakhtar 5-0. Inter was the last Italian team to win a cup in Europe, taking the Champions League 10 years ago. The last Italian club to win the Europa/UEFA was Parma in 1999.

In separate news, David Silva will play for Real Sociedad.

In separate news, David Silva will play for Real Sociedad.
    The wife always wins.

19. Likes:

M2 (08-17-2020)

It's gotten better, at least at the top level. They don't randomly kick chunks out of each other anymore. Robbie Savage is no longer the most aptly named man on the planet. Lower levels are still a bit of a bloodbath, though Serie B and La Segunda are no picnics either.
    You might want re-assess this when we introduce Kalvin Phillips, Liam Cooper and Berardi (when recovered) to the league in the coming season! Dirty Leeds!

21. Likes:

M2 (08-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
    You might want re-assess this when we introduce Kalvin Phillips, Liam Cooper and Berardi (when recovered) to the league in the coming season! Dirty Leeds!
    Damned United.

23. Likes:

EnglishRed (08-20-2020)

Turn Off Ads?