Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Figuring out their width will be tricky. Azpilicueta and Alonso will be 31 and 30 next season. Might not be at their marauding prime.
    They both have the legs to run down their respective touchlines still. I guess I just meant when you have Tomori and Christensen on the bench you don't really need to put Azpilicueta in a CB spot. It's like putting Fernandinho at CB. He can handle it but it hurts the team.

Maybe Frank is trying to do a Sheffield (which would be really cool actually) with the overlapping wide CBs. Needs more time to develop though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Last two matches they've plated a 3-4-3 with Mason Mount on the left. I just don't get it unless it's a way to build Pulisic up mentally I guess?

Chelsea have pretty bang average center backs and shoehorning Azpilicueta into the 3rd CB is pretty criminal. They can add as many wingers and AMs as they want. The back line is iffy.

Also, Marcos Alonso should be in jail.
    I thought Kovacic did a great job this year in providing cover for the CBs. He was a very talented, very technical young standout that could not find a regular spot on for Inter and Real Madrid but really earned Lampard’s trust this year at defensive midfield with deep lying playmaking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I thought Kovacic did a great job this year in providing cover for the CBs. He was a very talented, very technical young standout that could not find a regular spot on for Inter and Real Madrid but really earned Lampard’s trust this year at defensive midfield with deep lying playmaking skills.
    Kind of wonder if Kante is sticking around.

Kovacic is very good, a box-to-box guy who can skin a defender off the dribble. Keeps the tempo high too. He was part of an insanely deep team during his Madrid days. Good to see him grab a regular spot.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    They both have the legs to run down their respective touchlines still.
    I'm thinking in terms of whether they can be elite. Can they beat Liverpool or City on the flanks?

Where will he start? At forward Chelsea has TammyAbraham and Timo Werner. At Trequartista, they have Kai Havertz.
    I think he has the super-sub role for beginning of next year. Now maybe if there are some injuries...
    He’s their best player. Abraham will be second choice and mostly play off the bench. A front 3 of Pulisic Werner and Havertz could be possible but Lampard loves Mount. Mount can play in the midfield 3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    He’s their best player. Abraham will be second choice and mostly play off the bench. A front 3 of Pulisic Werner and Havertz could be possible but Lampard loves Mount. Mount can play in the midfield 3 though.
    Pulisic has taken Pedro’s place. That is correct. He offers more than Pedro. In 2020.
    But Pedro has been pure class for Barca and Chelsea. humble class. He knew when to leave Barca, and he knew when he was replaced at Chelsea. He has been a great winger for 10 yrs at the highest club and country level.
    I salute Pedro.

8. Likes:

M2 (07-26-2020),ScotlandRed (07-30-2020)

Who does Pjanic take minutes from at Real Madrid? Kroos? Modric?

Who does Pjanic take minutes from at Real Madrid? Kroos? Modric?
    None of the above. Pjanic is moving to Barcelona.

None of the above. Pjanic is moving to Barcelona.
    Whoops. He always said Real Madrid was his favorite club. Then Rakitic or Vidal are out. Their midfield underwhelmed this year.

David Silva played his last match for Man City. Scored in the 2012 Euro final vrs Italy. Four premier league titles during his 10 yrs at Man City. He, yaya and Sergio represent the Man City for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    ScotlandRed this has nothing to do with what you posted above but wanted to know if you're Celtic/Rangers guy at all one way or the other. I've been watching the Old Firm for a few years now and always find it supremely entertaining. Today I saw that Morelos got sold to Lille and I'm a tad bit sad to see him go. He seemed to always be good for a Gordie Howe Ha trick - A goal, An Assist, and a fight (or in his case a red). Anyway just wondering how the news was taken and what the thought is about how to replace him?

Whoops. He always said Real Madrid was his favorite club. Then Rakitic or Vidal are out. Their midfield underwhelmed this year.
    Rakitic is my guess. Though I don't get that move. Seems like they ought to be spending their money on defense. Like, whole new back line.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Depends on their formation. They've been in a 4-2-3-1, but could go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with Abraham and Werner. Not sure if those two won't be a bit redundant. Havertz seems versatile enough to fit into any of those formations. Got Willian, Mason Mount, Jorginho, N'golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic and Ross Barkley in the midfield too. I suspect you're right that Pulisic will be a supporting player. His next stop might be where he gets to play a starring role.
    If Pulisic is fit going into next season, there's a 0% chance that he sits regularly to start. The only reason he sat v. Liverpool is because he was carrying a slight knock (plus a crapload of minutes on his legs in a short run) and Lampard judged, correctly, that their better chance was to get a point off Wolves.

My guess is that Chelsea will play with some versatility in how they deploy Timo Werner -- I think you'll some matches where plays centrally as a sole-striker and some other matches where he plays two striker up top alongside Tammy or Giroud. In sole-striker situations, I think Pulisic is always in the team news. On two-striker situations, I think he rotates starts with Hudson-Odoi.

Either way, I think he's secured his place for 2021 at least at the start. Competition will be high, though.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 07-28-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If Pulisic is fit going into next season, there's a 0% chance that he sits regularly. The only reason he sat v. Liverpool is because he was carrying a slight knock (plus a crapload of minutes on his legs in a short run) and Lampard judged, correctly, that their better chance was to get a point off Wolves.

My guess is that Chelsea will play with some versatility in how they deploy Timo Werner -- I think you'll some matches where plays centrally as a sole-striker and some other matches where he plays two striker up top alongside Tammy or Giroud. In sole-striker situations, I think Pulisic is always in the team news. On two-striker situations, I think he rotates starts with Hudson-Odoi.

Either way, I think he's secured his place for 2021 at least at the start. Competition will be high, though.
    They've bought Werner (forward) and Hakim Ziyech (winger) and are close to finalizing a deal on Havertz (attacking mid). They're going to play with the new toys. That's on top of Abraham, Willian, Barkley and Mount (who could be Lampard's son given his devotion to the kid). Given that the five subs rule looks like it will be in effect next season, it means more opportunity to play 60/30 or 70/20 splits. Yet it's entirely possible (maybe even probable) that Pulisic is super sub getting the short end of that stick mixed with spot starts.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

They've bought Werner (forward) and Hakim Ziyech (winger) and are close to finalizing a deal on Havertz (attacking mid). They're going to play with the new toys. That's on top of Abraham, Willian, Barkley and Mount (who could be Lampard's son given his devotion to the kid). Given that the five subs rule looks like it will be in effect next season, it means more opportunity to play 60/30 or 70/20 splits. Yet it's entirely possible (maybe even probable) that Pulisic is super sub getting the short end of that stick mixed with spot starts.
    They have too many needs on the backline to hoard talent up front — if Pulisic isn’t gonna play, I would expect him to be sold to free up resources to improve the defense and/or replace Kepa.

I think Lampard rates him too highly to do that, but if he doesn’t than they need to sell IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?