Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Well, I guess the "if" has been resolved. Not the way I would have gone if I was Spurs. Then again, first rule of triage is to stop the bleeding. Spurs was at the tail end of its window that opened when all that good young talent hit at once, and there was probably an exodus coming anyway, Ericksen and Alderweireld and possibly others. Mourinho might be able to wring what's left out of the squad until then. You certainly don't hire him for a long-term plan.
    Harry Kane and Dele Alli will the two to watch in terms of who's heading for the door.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As a Tottenham fan, I like the decision to bring on Mourinho. It shows ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    As a Tottenham fan, I like the decision to bring on Mourinho. It shows ambition.
    If anything, it definitely makes the post game press conferences more entertaining.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Harry Kane and Dele Alli will the two to watch in terms of who's heading for the door.
    Dele Alli has 3 goals in 3 games, which resulted in all 9 points for Spurs. The collective and individual improvement in form is evident.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    FIFA rankings are weird. Belgium, Russia and Denmark are already in a group together before the official draw. Meanwhile, every wants to avoid France and Portugal.
    Germany, France and Portugal are in the same Euro 2020 group.No other group is close to that level of competition.
    This could be England’s big chance with all the games in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Germany, France and Portugal are in the same Euro 2020 group.No other group is close to that level of competition.
    This could be England’s big chance with all the games in England.
    England gets the runner up of the Group of Death at the start of the knockout rounds.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

CL Round of 16 draw, in no particular order:

Man City-Real Madrid
    Chelsea-Bayern
    PSG-Dortmund
    Liverpool-Atletico Madrid
    Barcelona-Napoli
    Tottenham-RB Leipzig
    Atalanta-Valencia
    Lyon-Juventus

Fun matchups for the English sides. Juve probably happiest with the draw.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

9. Likes:

M2 (12-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    CL Round of 16 draw, in no particular order:

Man City-Real Madrid
    Chelsea-Bayern
    PSG-Dortmund
    Liverpool-Atletico Madrid
    Barcelona-Napoli
    Tottenham-RB Leipzig
    Atalanta-Valencia
    Lyon-Juventus

Fun matchups for the English sides. Juve probably happiest with the draw.
    The two England-Spain matchups are heavyweight fights. That Atalanta and Valencia fixture could be really fun to watch.

Tottenham looked unprepared and out coached vrs Chelsea. This was a big win for Lampard, Blues and Willian.

12. Likes:

M2 (12-23-2019)

Today is footie Christmas. Tottenham won the morning game (at home over Brighton). Now we get the managerial debuts of Mikel Arteta at Arsenal and Carlo Ancelotti at Everton.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Bumping this thread for no particular reason, since the Premier League title race is drama-free and the Champions League knockouts don't start for another month. Good races going on in the other big leagues, though. I hope we get new champions in Germany and Italy, I can't be the only one tired of seeing Bayern and Juve win every year.

Not a lot of action in the January transfer market so far, but it'll be hard for anyone to ever top the first-game ROI Dortmund got with Erling Haaland, right?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

15. Likes:

M2 (01-21-2020)

It's not their style of acquisition at Liverpool generally in terms of cost, but Mbappe with a LOT of really positive things to say about Liverpool, and, man, what would that team look like if they ponied up to bring him in this summer?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It's not their style of acquisition at Liverpool generally in terms of cost, but Mbappe with a LOT of really positive things to say about Liverpool, and, man, what would that team look like if they ponied up to bring him in this summer?
    New Nike connection too (Mbappe is a Nike athlete I believe) and there are some rumblings that they want to announce the deal with a big acquisition. Even still I'd put it at less than 5% chance of happening. Not sure I would want it to either as I think it would drastically change the wage structure that Liverpool operate under. It'd be fun for sure, but might not be the most prudent move for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    New Nike connection too (Mbappe is a Nike athlete I believe) and there are some rumblings that they want to announce the deal with a big acquisition. Even still I'd put it at less than 5% chance of happening. Not sure I would want it to either as I think it would drastically change the wage structure that Liverpool operate under. It'd be fun for sure, but might not be the most prudent move for the club.
    I assume it would be twinned with selling Salah, but, frankly, the finances of these moves in the Euro soccer leagues are beyond my ability/desire to really try and understand.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    If Mbappe's moving, I'm guessing it's south rather than north.

Turn Off Ads?