Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Agree with all of the above. Mbappe is beyond excellent, but probably too many eggs in one basket wage-wise for LFC. There's rich and then there's rich.

Timo Werner is an intriguing possibility for the summer, though. He supposedly favors Liverpool and the release clause isn't out of reach.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Likes:

schmidty622 (01-23-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Agree with all of the above. Mbappe is beyond excellent, but probably too many eggs in one basket wage-wise for LFC. There's rich and then there's rich.

Timo Werner is an intriguing possibility for the summer, though. He supposedly favors Liverpool and the release clause isn't out of reach.
    I think that if they win the league this year that one of Salah or Mane might take their talents to Madrid (IMO hopefully Mo) and then a player like Timo or Jadon Sancho makes sense. If that doesn't happen then I find it hard to believe that a player of their caliber would come and sit behind those three.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    I think that if they win the league this year that one of Salah or Mane might take their talents to Madrid (IMO hopefully Mo) and then a player like Timo or Jadon Sancho makes sense. If that doesn't happen then I find it hard to believe that a player of their caliber would come and sit behind those three.
    From the Madrid side, there's been more talk of Mane than Salah. Though with Donny van de Beek coming in (supposedly), Martin Odegaard bedding into the first team, all the Brazi boys (Rodrygo, Vinicius and Reiner Jesus) pushing for playing time and the expected big swoop for Mbappe, snagging one of Liverpool's aces might be a bridge too far.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

schmidty622 (01-23-2020)

Spain started doing something interesting with its Copa del Rey this year. The team from the lower league always plays at home (also, went to single game elimination rather than home-and-home ties). It's made for some entertaining matches. Atletico got eliminated. Barca barely scraped by. Madrid got a real challenge.

It would be cool to see England adopt that rule for the FA Cup too.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Well, the last time Liverpool won the league, we all know what happened around here five months later. Hmm...
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

9. Likes:

M2 (02-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Well, the last time Liverpool won the league, we all know what happened around here five months later. Hmm...
    And Liverpool won two league titles after Cincinnati won the World Series in 1975 and 1976. So, go Reds?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And Liverpool won two league titles after Cincinnati won the World Series in 1975 and 1976. So, go Reds?
    How do you think I became a Liverpool fan? I found out there was another team in the world called the Reds and that did it. Of course it’s hard not to be a fan this year with the way they’re playing.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

12. Likes:

schmidty622 (02-03-2020)

Man City banned???

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news...d=2638659.html

The Adjudicatory Chamber has imposed disciplinary measures on Manchester City Football Club directing that it shall be excluded from participation in UEFA club competitions in the next two seasons (ie. the 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons) and pay a fine of € 30 million.
    They will appeal but that's a stiff punishment.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 02-14-2020 at 01:53 PM.

14. Likes:

M2 (02-14-2020),Todd Gack (02-15-2020)

Man City banned???

There's going to be an absolute gold rush on Man City players.

16. Likes:

schmidty622 (02-14-2020)

Man City banned???

Now that's a punishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

schmidty622 (02-14-2020)

There's going to be an absolute gold rush on Man City players.
    I dunno about this. I'm just assuming here (based on Football Manager) but I think Man City is probably paying above market wages for almost their entire roster. If I am a City player do I go somewhere else and make less? Or if I'm another club do I try and bring a a City player in and risk blowing up my wage structure? I think players will leave for sure. Like they do every year. But I don't know if you'll see their stars go.

Now Pep? I think he might bounce after this season now. I previously thought he would just live out his deal and head south (PSG, Barce again, anywhere else) in 2021 but I just can't see him sitting through the press conferences with questions about not being in the UCL.

Certainly will be interesting if the punishment stays as is after the appeal.

20. Likes:

M2 (02-14-2020)

I dunno about this. I'm just assuming here (based on Football Manager) but I think Man City is probably paying above market wages for almost their entire roster. If I am a City player do I go somewhere else and make less? Or if I'm another club do I try and bring a a City player in and risk blowing up my wage structure? I think players will leave for sure. Like they do every year. But I don't know if you'll see their stars go.

Now Pep? I think he might bounce after this season now. I previously thought he would just live out his deal and head south (PSG, Barce again, anywhere else) in 2021 but I just can't see him sitting through the press conferences with questions about not being in the UCL.

Certainly will be interesting if the punishment stays as is after the appeal.
    As long as you're in contract, you transfer with your wages. It sounds like they've got to move a few big contracts just to meet the FFP guidelines. Also, when you move to a big club like Man City, the ability to put your talents on display on the biggest stages is a big part of why you went there. These guys are trying to show they're the elite of the elite. Starting spots on in World Cups hang in the balance for them. If I had to guess, the most likely guys to bolt would be Gab Jesus, Laporte, Rodri, De Bruyne, Sane, Bernardo Silva, Cancelo and Ederson. City will get offers for most of them. It will be hard for the club and players to say no. Careers are short. What if those are two of your best years or the last two of your best years?

Pep definitely could jump.

As long as you're in contract, you transfer with your wages. It sounds like they've got to move a few big contracts just to meet the FFP guidelines. Also, when you move to a big club like Man City, the ability to put your talents on display on the biggest stages is a big part of why you went there. These guys are trying to show they're the elite of the elite. Starting spots on in World Cups hang in the balance for them. If I had to guess, the most likely guys to bolt would be Gab Jesus, Laporte, Rodri, De Bruyne, Sane, Bernardo Silva, Cancelo and Ederson. City will get offers for most of them. It will be hard for the club and players to say no. Careers are short. What if those are two of your best years or the last two of your best years?

I think if it’s only one year after the appeal most will stay. I think it will be reduced like Chelsea’s transfer ban. I think Pep will leave after this season regardless but you never know, he might fancy the hero story of taking them back to the top after the ban.

I am under the impression that when you transfer you have to negotiate a deal with the new club. That's why we see all these stories come out that say player X and club Y have terms agreed but the two clubs involved still need to agree on a fee.

Thats also how it works in Fifa and Football Manager so as a dummy im inclined to believe that.

Players will leave for sure but I dont think it will be a gold rush, in part because of how they have geared their finances and gotten in trouble lol

I am under the impression that when you transfer you have to negotiate a deal with the new club. That's why we see all these stories come out that say player X and club Y have terms agreed but the two clubs involved still need to agree on a fee.

Thats also how it works in Fifa and Football Manager so as a dummy im inclined to believe that.

Players will leave for sure but I dont think it will be a gold rush, in part because of how they have geared their finances and gotten in trouble lol
    Offering a raise is one of the ways teams get players to transfer. So they often cut a new contract. It also increases the buyout amount and lengthens the contract, which allows the club to get more money in future transfers. Yet, if you make high wages and want out, then you can transfer with your existing deal. Technically, your new club is taking on your existing contract until/unless you sign a new one.

Turn Off Ads?