Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Re: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The last time IU had a guy like this his name was Randle El. Unlike Antwaan, Penix has an arsenal of receivers and a full stable of running backs. That being said, I want to see how the Hoosiers deal with the Bucknut's depth. I think we can play with you guys, I just don't know if we can for 4 quarters. Or perhaps it is all wishful thinking on my part.
    I thought UC could play with 'em but that didn't turn out to be the case

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The last time IU had a guy like this his name was Randle El. Unlike Antwaan, Penix has an arsenal of receivers and a full stable of running backs. That being said, I want to see how the Hoosiers deal with the Bucknut's depth. I think we can play with you guys, I just don't know if we can for 4 quarters. Or perhaps it is all wishful thinking on my part.
    OSU has looked great on defense in the first two games, so I’m excited to see that matchup.

I don’t think Indiana will be able to stop the OSU offense.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    OSU has looked great on defense in the first two games, so I’m excited to see that matchup.

I don’t think Indiana will be able to stop the OSU offense.
    I read somewhere where IU is ranked 12th in returning players. We shall see how that plays out.

Another pleasant whopping 51-10, amazing how much better the defense has been so far over the last three years.

They look really good. The defense is solid. Young is a monster and the rest of the line isn’t far behind and the secondary looks great.

The offense is a little inconsistent, some of that is on Fields still leaning, but they can also pick up big chunks. My biggest concern coming into the season was the offensive line, and they’ve been excellent.

No answer from the Hoosiers, Penix would have made no difference.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-15-2019)

They look really good. The defense is solid. Young is a monster and the rest of the line isn’t far behind and the secondary looks great.

The offense is a little inconsistent, some of that is on Fields still leaning, but they can also pick up big chunks. My biggest concern coming into the season was the offensive line, and they’ve been excellent.
    They look really good against Indiana, FAU, and Cincinnati.

All in all, Ohio State might play a weaker schedule than Alabama.

I’ll reserve judgment until they play a ranked opponent or a true road game against a team they haven’t beaten 25 years in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They look really good against Indiana, FAU, and Cincinnati.

All in all, Ohio State might play a weaker schedule than Alabama.

I’ll reserve judgment until they play a ranked opponent or a true road game against a team they haven’t beaten 25 years in a row.
    Right the schedule to this point matters, but it’s more about how they are playing than who they are playing. Last year at this point they obviously had a national championship caliber offense...and then they had a defense. This year looks much better. I too want to see them play a top flight defense and see how Fields responds to some adversity in the second half of a close game.

Funny you mention Alabama because that’s a good example of a team that’s had three lopsided results against average to bad teams, but is probably a little more concerned about their team.

Right the schedule to this point matters, but it’s more about how they are playing than who they are playing. Last year at this point they obviously had a national championship caliber offense...and then they had a defense. This year looks much better. I too want to see them play a top flight defense and see how Fields responds to some adversity in the second half of a close game.

Funny you mention Alabama because that’s a good example of a team that’s had three lopsided results against average to bad teams, but is probably a little more concerned about their team.
    I mentioned Alabama because they have been the whipping boy for their out of conference schedule (and deservedly so).

I know in the past Ohio State tries to schedule home and homes with other blue bloods (Oklahoma, USC). Just guessing someone backed out for this years to be this bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I mentioned Alabama because they have been the whipping boy for their out of conference schedule (and deservedly so).

I know in the past Ohio State tries to schedule home and homes with other blue bloods (Oklahoma, USC). Just guessing someone backed out for this years to be this bad.
    I believe the B1G going to nine conference games a few years ago is what screwed up OSU having a good non-conference game this year. By the time they had sorted it out, it was too late to get another big time school on the schedule. The future has Oregon in 20/21, Notre Dame in 22/23, Washington in 24, Texas and Washington in 25, Texas and Boston College in 26, Boston College in 27.

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-16-2019),HeatherC1212 (09-16-2019),Revering4Blue (09-16-2019),Roy Tucker (09-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I believe the B1G going to nine conference games a few years ago is what screwed up OSU having a good non-conference game this year. By the time they had sorted it out, it was too late to get another big time school on the schedule. The future has Oregon in 20/21, Notre Dame in 22/23, Washington in 24, Texas and Washington in 25, Texas and Boston College in 26, Boston College in 27.
    As a B1G fan of course I am biased but I give all the B1G schools a pass because of the 9 game conference schedule. Especially when they are in the East. But yeah, I think some of the schools are trying to "sort it out".

TCU backed out, they had a home and home scheduled but they wanted one game at a neutral site instead. Which kind of left OSU high and dry on the P5 team. Although, I think UC will end up a ranked team this season, which is probably a better game than TCU.

OSU's schedule is probably the most solid it has been in the past decade. I think Nebraska looking rough to start the season has taken some luster off that game, but they play Nebraska, Wisconsin, and NW as their cross over games, and then they have the east, which pretty much has Rutgers and a bunch of quality teams. While their overall schedule is tough, it does break for them in that MSU, Wisconsin, and PSU are at home. Those area all tough environments to play in and would have been a night game away.

I will say this about IU, they are in the wrong division. They probably are a second tier B1G team, which isn't all that bad. They just play in the division where most of the power is.

This defense has three guys who were national top 10-15 recruits in Browning, Okuda, Wade and Young. When you see those guys running all over the field, its a very, very good thing. I think many people were down on OSU because of the uncertainty, but reality is this may be the most talented team in the country. I thought at the beginning of the season 10-2 was the most likely outcome, but after the first three weeks, I am thinking more 11-1, with a loss to PSU as my pick right now. PSU plays the week before Michigan which I don't really like. If they are able to get by Nebraska, I think they get a huge amount of steam going for the rest of the season.

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RIP, Hopalong.

It's weird that I was just reading about him the other day. I'm reading Lou Piniella's autobiography and he said that Steinbrenner had Cassady working with him to get him ready for Spring Training in 1982. He had Lou running an obstacle course and Lou couldn't get it done within the 40 minutes he wanted. He tried it again and couldn't finish in under an hour. Finally Lou bet him a bottle of Spanish brandy and $200 that Cassady couldn't do it in 40 minutes either. Cassady tried for 3 more days and he couldn't do it. Lou gave him the booze and the money anyway. When Lou weighed in for Spring Training George was unhappy he wasn't under 205 lbs. (Lou couldn't get under 210.) Lou told him what happened and George said, "That damn Hoppy. Played too many games with a soft helmet.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

20. Likes:

North (09-20-2019),Reds Fanatic (09-20-2019)

Turn Off Ads?