Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Re: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yeah Fields wasn’t good enough today for the Heisman.

Chase Young on the other hand...
    I’d say it’s still Burrows to lose at this point. Young will probably finish second.

Hasn’t gone to a defensive player since Charles Woodson and it’s not a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’d say it’s still Burrows to lose at this point. Young will probably finish second.

Hasn’t gone to a defensive player since Charles Woodson and it’s not a coincidence.
    I don’t disagree, but Young should win it. I consider myself pretty lucky to have a lot of amazing players play for my favorite team...and he’s the best one I’ve ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I thought the play calling overall was very conservative by Day. Gus Johnson put it well when he noted that Ohio State "flinched" on some of the 3rd down play calls. To me it signals that Day doesn't fully trust Fields yet as a passer. The second half especially felt like the J.T. Barrett years.
    You nailed that one. I was thinking the same thing. I was down in Urbana at my brother's watching the game and was having Tressell ball flashbacks (LOL). At the time I was criticizing Day's "conservative" play-calling in the 2nd half, and when PSU closed the gap 21-17. I thought it was pretty predictable - Fields run, Dobbins run, Fields run, Dobbins run.

I don't think Day has any"doubts" about Fields arm. Those TD passes to Hill and Olave were right there. Nice passes. I think Day's objective - after serving up three turnovers that greatly aided PSU getting back in the game - was to slow things down a bit, take away any momentum PSU had attained in the second half, and to take time off the clock. Because PSU was also fighting the clock by primarily running the ball. Dobbins set a career high in ATTs (36), and 61 rushing ATTs total. Wow! Day trusted his defense, which did step up in a big, big way.... 227 yards total offense for PSU. But he wanted to get the game to the point (time-wise) where their 3rd string QB had to throw the ball if they were to have a chance. And it worked.

I did not go into this game lightly. PSU was ranked #8, beat some quality B10 opponents (Michigan, Iowa, Indiana), and their one loss was a narrow one to a good Minnesota team. I wasn't buying some of the hype that we'd blow these guys away. But they were on the way to doing that 21-0 when the wheels tried to fall off in the 3Q.

A good game though. And I'm glad they got tested.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (11-25-2019)

Chase Young, IMO, won't come close to winning the Heisman because of his suspension. Image is everything to the NCAA.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

Chip R (11-25-2019)

Fields needs to learn how to throw the ball away. He takes unnecessary sacks.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (11-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Chase Young, IMO, won't come close to winning the Heisman because of his suspension. Image is everything to the NCAA.
    Like Baker, Jameis, Manziel and Cam?

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-24-2019)

He probably won't because he's missed stats for 2 games, but based off of the media coverage of his suspension, I think most voters think it was a pretty silly suspension and won't hold that against him. The crazy thing is that if he didn't miss those games, there's a good chance he'd already be at 20 sacks with a chance to get to 25. 25 sacks might have been too good to ignore. If he gets to 20, he could make it interesting and should finish 2nd, but I can't see him passing Burrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes:

Chip R (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Fields needs to learn how to throw the ball away. He takes unnecessary sacks.
    There was a lot of criticism of Day on Twitter after it looked like Fields had gotten hurt, but Fields had multiple chances to throw that away. It was supposed to be a quick pass, and when that wasn't there, he needed to just let it go. Hopefully that scare gets him to take care of himself a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    There was a lot of criticism of Day on Twitter after it looked like Fields had gotten hurt, but Fields had multiple chances to throw that away. It was supposed to be a quick pass, and when that wasn't there, he needed to just let it go. Hopefully that scare gets him to take care of himself a bit more.

I was sitting in 2C which is in the north end zone and gives a really good kind of All 22/Madden View of the game. On the last play where he did get sacked he actually did have Hill on a crossing route and it would have been a foot race for a TD, but he came off the read a little early before he flashed open.

Just a general note on play calling from that vantage point, I think it made a lot of sense. Yes some calls were off and it was a little conservative and I don’t think they found that rhythm they’ve had. But in taking what the defense gave them and making smart reads, they did that most of the time. I was surprised at the number of five wide looks OSU came out in, but it served the purpose of spreading the field and Penn State still usually kept two safeties in coverage, so running the ball or making quick one on one throws was the smart play.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Like Baker, Jameis, Manziel and Cam?
    Were any of them suspended by the NCAA for violating NCAA rules?

And this is the other reason, IMO, why he has an uphill battle

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Last edited by GAC; 11-25-2019 at 06:42 AM.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I don't know how old most of you are but it seems that some here have forgotten that Woodson played on offense as well. And was pretty good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I don't know how old most of you are but it seems that some here have forgotten that Woodson played on offense as well. And was pretty good at it.
    But he wasn't used much. The year he won the Heisman, he had 11 catches and 3 runs and 1 return TD. He had 7 interceptions, though. I doubt his offense made much difference.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    But he wasn't used much. The year he won the Heisman, he had 11 catches and 3 runs and 1 return TD. He had 7 interceptions, though. I doubt his offense made much difference.
    That fact is that he played both ways...doesn't matter how much.

Were any of them suspended by the NCAA for violating NCAA rules?

And this is the other reason, IMO, why he has an uphill battle
    Almost everyone was on Young’s side in the suspension. The only way it’s hurting him is it cost him some stats, but he didn’t suffer any reputation loss.

I get all the obstacles to a defensive player winning it and I don’t have a problem with Burrow winning it, he’s been great. But Chase Young is the “most outstanding” player in college football and it’s not particularly close.

I wonder how many Bucks will be invited to the Heisman "party?"

Turn Off Ads?