Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Re: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And again, it’s not about who they are beating, it’s how they are doing it.
    Yeah, the stats are impressive, but if you're just looking at the scores and game stats you're not getting the full picture. You could have injuries, or who knows what, things could change, but right now this is a crazy good team. They're so balanced.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Likes:

GAC (09-30-2019),HeatherC1212 (09-30-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yeah, the stats are impressive, but if you're just looking at the scores and game stats you're not getting the full picture. You could have injuries, or who knows what, things could change, but right now this is a crazy good team. They're so balanced.
    It’s impressive, but right now the jury is still out. It’s still a young season.

That said, the only team defensively I could see matching up with the Bucks is Clemson. The SEC has not looked too strong on that side of the ball this season, namely Bama and LSU. And Oklahoma isn’t anywhere close.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Nothing, just found it amusing. Go ROCKETS!
    Why did you copy and paste a post about Ohio State and bring up three schools that have nothing to do with Ohio State? This is not the thread to post Go ROCKETS. I'm not seeing what your post has to do with the title of this thread.

The next three games will give a far better view of how good this Buckeye team is (IMO) ... Michigan State (H), Northwestern (A), Wisconsin (H). Then they have Maryland and Rutgers sandwiched in before they finish the season with Penn State (H) and Michigan (A).

The Spartans and Wildcats have the reputation of solid defenses, but difficulty moving the ball, putting points on the board. They rely on their defenses to keep them in the game. NW did it with Wisconsin this past weekend. But OSU's offense is a juggernaut, more balanced attack, then the other teams in the B1G IMO. They keep defenses on the field and simply wear them out.

I'm glad we're playing Wisconsin and Penn State at home. If I'm concerned about any upcoming opponent it's Penn State.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

OSU hasn't played anyone yet, but they were getting torn up on defense by terrible teams and couldn't run the ball against bad defenses. Yes, the numbers are inflated by playing weak competition, but you just need to compare their performance against weak competition last year versus this year to see what a massive step forward this team has taken. OSU could have lost to Nebraska this year, but this year's game was actually an even bigger beatdown than the 48-7 score would suggest.

The defense is legit, and it's nice to see them playing up to their talent. Everybody felt like Schiano was terrible last year, but this season is confirming that. There was no reason for a team with that many studs to look like they did. Even in prior years, when the defense was better, it was never as dominant as it should have been. OSU has always had the talent of Clemson and Bama, but it never crushed opponents like those teams do (until this year; Bama's defense is the worst its looked in a while).

The offense is 2 dimensional again. I still don't understand why OSU couldn't run last year, but whatever it was has been fixed. Fields looks much better than I expected him to at this point. He still needs a little better anticipation on his deep passes, but his accuracy and arm strength are legit, to say nothing of his running ability.

Day has done a fantastic job since he took over, but it's obviously too early to say that he's at the level of Urban. That said, I think this specific team is way better than it would be with Meyer. Meyer's achilles heel was his inability to move on from underperforming coaches. He recruited such great talent that his teams could often work around sub-par schemes, but it showed up against elite opponents. Day seems to have hit a home run with each dismissal and subsequent hire. We'll see if Day has the same ability to build a program as Meyer, but early returns are good.

Justin Fields fits the profile for a national championship winning QB. In college football your ideal QB is a guy who can both run and throw the ball and is terribly gifted athletically. Guys like Cam Newton or Vince Young. These guys are not ideal for the NFL but you don't win national championships in college with pocket guys like Dwayne Haskins,or even Dan Marino or Peyton Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Justin Fields fits the profile for a national championship winning QB. In college football your ideal QB is a guy who can both run and throw the ball and is terribly gifted athletically. Guys like Cam Newton or Vince Young. These guys are not ideal for the NFL but you don't win national championships in college with pocket guys like Dwayne Haskins,or even Dan Marino or Peyton Manning.
    It absolutely helps to have running QBs like Trevor Lawrence or Tua or Cardale Jones or Jameis Winston or AJ McCarron.

I am tired of the narrative that they haven't played anybody. There have been a scant few games where top teams have played each other. The two marquee victories so far have been Georgia over ND and LSU over Texas. Other than that, most of the victories have been no better than what UC or Nebraska can provide. OSU pounds a team and all of a sudden they are garbage, but the reality is probably more in the middle. If UC wins this weekend, they will be ranked. It wouldn't surprise me if Nebraska ends the season ranked as well. Are they as good as once thought, now, but they aren't as bad as many are making them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It absolutely helps to have running QBs like Trevor Lawrence or Tua or Cardale Jones or Jameis Winston or AJ McCarron.
    I don't know about you, but Cardale made quite a few plays with his feet in the playoffs. There is a play seared into my memory where he is running down the middle of the field and bulldozes an Alabama defender. OSU got better last season when Haskins showed the willingness to pick up a few yards via the run. Lawrence isn't a runner, but he can make a play with his feet if need be.

11. Likes:

jimbo (09-30-2019),Phoenix2 (09-30-2019),Revering4Blue (09-30-2019),Sea Ray (09-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am tired of the narrative that they haven't played anybody. There have been a scant few games where top teams have played each other. The two marquee victories so far have been Georgia over ND and LSU over Texas. Other than that, most of the victories have been no better than what UC or Nebraska can provide. OSU pounds a team and all of a sudden they are garbage, but the reality is probably more in the middle. If UC wins this weekend, they will be ranked. It wouldn't surprise me if Nebraska ends the season ranked as well. Are they as good as once thought, now, but they aren't as bad as many are making them out to be.

I don't know about you, but Cardale made quite a few plays with his feet in the playoffs. There is a play seared into my memory where he is running down the middle of the field and bulldozes an Alabama defender. OSU got better last season when Haskins showed the willingness to pick up a few yards via the run. Lawrence isn't a runner, but he can make a play with his feet if need be.
    I’m joking a bit, but it’s a little funny that he made that comment and the last 6 or 7 national championship winning QBs aren’t exactly in the Justin Fields mold.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Sparty squeaks by IU and they move into the Coaches and up a spot in the AP. So the pollsters think MSU is good, so let's see what happens come this week-end.

The Nebraska game was the highest rated game in the country this weekend and the Bucks picked up 7 first-place votes. They are hitting on all cylinders and its fun to see. I don't see how anyone can vote Clemson ahead of OSU. Their A&M victory wasn't that impressive given that Auburn also beat A&M at their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Sparty squeaks by IU and they move into the Coaches and up a spot in the AP. So the pollsters think MSU is good, so let's see what happens come this week-end.
    Sparty just doesn’t match up well with OSU. They might be able to limit the offense a little bit, but that probably still means 35 points. I don’t see how they score more than 35 unless the defense and special teams do some super human lifting.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Sparty just doesn’t match up well with OSU. They might be able to limit the offense a little bit, but that probably still means 35 points. I don’t see how they score more than 35 unless the defense and special teams do some super human lifting.
    Evidently Sparty didn't match-up against IU very well. 'Cause they didn't limit the Hoosiers offense. The Bucks should blow them out easily.

I’m joking a bit, but it’s a little funny that he made that comment and the last 6 or 7 national championship winning QBs aren’t exactly in the Justin Fields mold.
    Justin Fields type guys don't come around every yr. That's kinda my point. He's a rare talent

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Justin Fields type guys don't come around every yr. That's kinda my point. He's a rare talent
    Totally agree. He is a cheat code and I’ve been very surprised at how good he’s been right away. He makes good decisions and obviously has the physical tools to be elite.

Turn Off Ads?