Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Re: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I don’t really care, it just is another showing of the committee being wildly inconsistent. But I guess that’s just to be expected at this point.

I want Clemson anyway. Time to collect some debts and this is a good year to do it.
    That's fine if you don't care but a lot of people are trumpeting that. I don't get it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I don’t really care, it just is another showing of the committee being wildly inconsistent. But I guess that’s just to be expected at this point.

I want Clemson anyway. Time to collect some debts and this is a good year to do it.
    The committee valued the last week in 2014 when it kept out TCU because a 59-0 score in a conference championship seems a lot better than a 55-3 drubbing of a 2-10 team. Seems pretty consistent to me this year. LSU played much better on Saturday. End of story. Stop complaining.

"So Fla Red"

See the usual Buckeye trolls from SEC bottom feeder programs out in force...

First team ever to go 10-0 in a Big 5 conference. No game within 10 points. Dominates conf champ game after first half slumber with a 27-0 2H close (thought Day should have kept it rolling when up 31-21 on the long drive mid 4th).

Playing Wisconsin twice is a slog. Ridiculous conference schedule to have PSU (the key game of hte year for OSU playoffs), at Mich then B1G Championship three weeks in a row. B1G, Pac-12 and Big 12 need to end the 9-game conference schedule. Go to the SEC model of FCS school week before final regular season game.

First year there was a huge advantage for #1 seed with bonus of champ game in New Orleans.

So far no #1 seed has won so should be interesting.

Need Fields 95-100% in 3 weeks. Amazing effort by Justin last night with virtually no practice this week, a limited playbook due to lack of mobility and down two scores at the half.

5. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (12-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Ohio State landed/will land the Gatorade Player of the Year in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Texas. All three of Martinez, Fleming and Smith-Njigba were heavily recruited.

Oddly, the Ohio Gatorade POY (Ethan Wright) is committed to Cincinnati. Wright's a Division V kid from the Akron area.

I think the concerns about Day's ability to recruit are overblown.
    Mr Football in Ohio from Wyoming is also going to UC. Did OSU recruit him or were they already set at QB?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He’s going to be drafted, possibly in the first round.

That said, he’s not Justin Fields and Kirby Smart isn’t Ryan Day. Had Kirby pulled the trigger and replaced Fromm with Fields, I don’t think we see the same statistical season from Fields in Athens. Georgia is extremely reliant on its ground game.
    I think Fields is the superior college talent but Fromm is a better NFL prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    The committee valued the last week in 2014 when it kept out TCU because a 59-0 score in a conference championship seems a lot better than a 55-3 drubbing of a 2-10 team. Seems pretty consistent to me this year. LSU played much better on Saturday. End of story. Stop complaining.
    Yeah in 2014 it was a huge resume boosting win for Ohio State, coupled with the fact they completely destroyed them. It isn’t at all consistent. They moved OSU to 1, they went out and beat the doors off Michigan and then beat Wisconsin again, with possibly the best second half any team in the playoffs has shown all season, and they drop them because LSU beat up an overrated Georgia team? Ok whatever. Like I said, bring on Clemson. I wanted them in the championship game, but I’m ok taking care of it early.

"So Fla Red"

The goalposts keep changing every year. The whole idea of the committee has always been and remains pretty much a joke to anyone outside the world of ADs from Power 5 teams, SEC schills and ESPN talking heads.

The 9-game conference schedule from the Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 continues to not be rewarded. The unbalanced schedule from the SEC (Bama beating the living snot out of Tennessee every year) and playing FCS teams in Week 12 seems to never be penalized. The benefit of the doubt seems to always go to Alabama or the designated SEC surrogate of the year.

Someone just needs to define the selection rules or just cut the nonsense and go to an 8-team playoff, 5 champ auto bids with max of 2 from any conference

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think Fields is the superior college talent but Fromm is a better NFL prospect
    It will be interesting to see where both are drafting. Fromm's NFL draft star seems to have crashed since UGA can't seem to complete a forward pass without Cager.

I could see Fields being an elite QB in today's NFL but he's still a baby in his first collegiate season. Possible he could be 1B next year after Lawrence.

Purposfully, OSU has not run Fields and limited RPO much of this year due to lack of QB depth and dominance of the team across the board.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-08-2019)

It’s a beauty contest. Fickle as hell. At least the NFL has a gazillion tie breakers. This is a glorified guys sitting in a bar arguing who is best.

They have the right 4 teams. So shut up and play. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Prove it on the field.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-08-2019),HeatherC1212 (12-09-2019),redhawkfish (12-08-2019),Revering4Blue (12-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The goalposts keep changing every year. The whole idea of the committee has always been and remains pretty much a joke to anyone outside the world of ADs from Power 5 teams, SEC schills and ESPN talking heads.

The 9-game conference schedule from the Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 continues to not be rewarded. The unbalanced schedule from the SEC (Bama beating the living snot out of Tennessee every year) and playing FCS teams in Week 12 seems to never be penalized. The benefit of the doubt seems to always go to Alabama or the designated SEC surrogate of the year.

Someone just needs to define the selection rules or just cut the nonsense and go to an 8-team playoff, 5 champ auto bids with max of 2 from any conference
    I don't think the unbalanced schedule has anything to do with it. The committee just feels that the SEC brand of football is superior and their confidence has been rewarded with good play in the playoffs from SEC schools. The year they chose two SEC teams, they both made it to the Final. More often than not, there is an SEC team in the Finals. One year there was a representative from the B10 and that team lost 31-0. That's not a ringing endorsement for a league and it doesn't happen to SEC teams

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It’s a beauty contest. Fickle as hell. At least the NFL has a gazillion tie breakers. This is a glorified guys sitting in a bar arguing who is best.

They have the right 4 teams. So shut up and play. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Prove it on the field.
    As you admit, they have the right 4 teams. Why describe 'em as glorified guys sitting in a bar?

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    It will be interesting to see where both are drafting. Fromm's NFL draft star seems to have crashed since UGA can't seem to complete a forward pass without Cager.

I could see Fields being an elite QB in today's NFL but he's still a baby in his first collegiate season. Possible he could be 1B next year after Lawrence.

Purposefully, OSU has not run Fields and limited RPO much of this year due to lack of QB depth and dominance of the team across the board.
    OSU ran Fields about 10x a game this year. I think that's a lot particularly considering how they have a stud at RB

As you admit, they have the right 4 teams. Why describe 'em as glorified guys sitting in a bar?
    Because it’s their opinion. Sure, they analyze it every different way, but it comes down to what they think. Their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Because it’s their opinion. Sure, they analyze it every different way, but it comes down to what they think. Their opinion.
    It is their opinion, that's right. The NCAA basketball tournament is also set up based on opinion. Is that a problem?

Couldn’t resist:

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

19. Likes:

GAC (12-09-2019),redhawkfish (12-09-2019)

It is their opinion, that's right. The NCAA basketball tournament is also set up based on opinion. Is that a problem?
    Well, I think the NCAA does a lot better job getting an inclusive season ending 68 team tournament. There might be some quibbles down at the last 10 teams, but they get every team that has a prayer at winning it all in the tourney. The CFP leaves worthy teams out. But yes, again, it’s opinions.

My point was that the pros have hard and fast rules that determine who is in and who is out. No opinions. Published and documented rules.

21. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-08-2019),Revering4Blue (12-08-2019)

Turn Off Ads?