Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Re: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It’s a beauty contest. Fickle as hell. At least the NFL has a gazillion tie breakers. This is a glorified guys sitting in a bar arguing who is best.

They have the right 4 teams. So shut up and play. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Prove it on the field.
    Exactly. If you're the best team in the nation it shouldn't matter who you face. Bring it on!

Not just on here, but in every conversation I've been in when it gets to this time of the year, I'm hearing the fans of those four teams that made it into the CFP arguing, jockeying, and basically whining (IMO) about where their team should be placed (ranked) in that window. Then screaming and crying about the injustice of it all if their team is not ranked #1. IMO, I usually find very little difference between those #1 and #2 teams. They're that close IMO. I personally find it somewhat petty (LOL).

You know how to stop this crap? End this 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. You got the top four teams in the country. Ya got that right. Find some other viable alternative, a drawing, rock-paper-scissors, whatever (lol), after the regular season and between those four candidates to determine who plays who.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

North (12-09-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Yes, they got the 4 teams right(this year). The committee should have stopped when they were ahead and just had a TV show with ping pong balls swirling around to determine the match-ups.

5. Likes:

North (12-09-2019),Revering4Blue (12-09-2019)

Please post this article in Ohio State's locker-room .... https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...mifinals-right

So now we have the matchups the college football world truly deserves: No. 1 LSU against No. 4 Oklahoma in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in Atlanta, and No. 2 Ohio State against No. 3 Clemson in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Arizona (both games on Dec. 28, ESPN/ESPN App). It sets us up for what could be an absolutely epic national championship game between two sets of Tigers in New Orleans. It would have been a disservice to both teams to be paired up in the semifinals -- and that is not a slight against Ohio State but rather a belief that LSU and Clemson are right now the two best teams in the country.
    Yeah, no disrespect intended at the team the Committee ranked at #2. Playing the only true NC game of LSU-Clemson in the semi-finals would be a huge injustice!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

jimbo (12-10-2019)

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...-trevor-travis

11W does this article every week and I think it’s the best opponent break down out there. Real deep dive on the Clemson offense here and what they like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...-trevor-travis

11W does this article every week and I think it’s the best opponent break down out there. Real deep dive on the Clemson offense here and what they like to do.
    I may be a little hyperbolic here, but how many players, all season long, has Clemson played that would start at OSU? Add to that, how many players did they play that would be in a situational rotation at OSU?

I think Clemson is good, and they have some nice players at the skill positions, but I just don't know how good they are. They haven't played a team who could match up anywhere near what OSU can. They haven't played a game in which the opposing team had the talent to dictate things. This isn't last year where Clemson had a starting NFL DLine, those guys all left.

I think OSU has the more talented roster and has the more talented depth. I think Venables is one of the best in the business and it will be interesting to see how Day combats or neutralizes him.

I think the game comes down to a few things:
    -Is Fields full go? Is he able to carry the ball 15 times if need be.
    -Can OSU neutralize Clemson's big play ability? Can OSU make Clemson drive down the field?
    -Who wins the battle of the lines. OSU has probably the best G-C-G in the country. Can Clemson exploit the T's? What does Clemson do against OSU's DLine. Young is a beast, but there are quality NFLers in the trenches who have gone unnoticed by anyone but OSU fans.

One final question, is Clemson this year living off reputation?

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-18-2019)

Yeah I agree with a lot of that and what makes it so tough to analyze this game. Clemson played no one that is in the ball park or even Wisconsin, let alone OSU. I think they are a really good team still, but I don’t know anything about their lines. I think OSU has pretty big advantages on both of them and that’s where they will win the game and that’s where my focus will be in the first quarter. I’ll be honest I love how much the media and “experts” are going for Clemson.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-18-2019)

I was thinking about this, how many teams take Clemson's schedule and run the table this season? And I do believe it is difficult to go undefeated in college football. But thinking about it, here is who I think could have handled Clemson's schedule:

OSU
    PSU
    Wisc
    Michigan
    Bama
    Auburn
    Georgia
    LSU
    Baylor
    OU
    Oregon
    Utah

TAMU may have gotten one of those teams, and the grind of a season may have gotten another, but those list of teams would have been substantial favorites in each and every opponent Clemson played.

The thing is, Clemson got punched in the mouth by UNC, but UNC didn't have the talent to really exploit Clemson. What happens if Clemson is punched in the mouth and this time has a well coached and uber talented defense coming at them?

I think UNC was kind of the wake up call game that got them going. I don’t put too much stock in it because I don’t think OSU is seeing that team.

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-16-2019),Revering4Blue (12-16-2019),RiverRat13 (12-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I was thinking about this, how many teams take Clemson's schedule and run the table this season? And I do believe it is difficult to go undefeated in college football. But thinking about it, here is who I think could have handled Clemson's schedule:

OSU
    PSU
    Wisc
    Michigan
    Bama
    Auburn
    Georgia
    LSU
    Baylor
    OU
    Oregon
    Utah
    Wisconsin couldn't get past the Fighting Illini so I don't think they're a good look for this exercise...

The only difference between Clemson's 2018 and 2019 schedules were...

2018 Furman 2019 Charlotte
    2018 GA Southern 2019 Wofford
    2018 Duke 2019 UNC
    2018 ACC Title Game Pitt 2019 UVA

I'd argue you can make the same case for 2018 - that many teams could have run the table with that schedule. But we know what happened in the playoff.

Clemson has throttled their (yes, weak) opponent for 7 straight games. They are legit and I'm looking forward to the game.

19. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (12-17-2019),RiverRat13 (12-18-2019)

I think Clemson was bored earlier in the yr and it showed. They are legit

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Wisconsin couldn't get past the Fighting Illini so I don't think they're a good look for this exercise...
    Wisconsin lost to Illinois the week before OSU. Two things, I think Clemson's schedule was week that there really were no look ahead games. Also, I think Illinois would have been one of the better ACC teams this season.

The college season is a grind for 18-22 year olds, and look ahead games are quite common. I just think Clemson's second stringers may have been able to run the table in the ACC.

Yea they were bored this year, I just don't know how good they are.

@kal, wasn't the ACC a little better last season?

Wisconsin lost to Illinois the week before OSU. Two things, I think Clemson's schedule was week that there really were no look ahead games. Also, I think Illinois would have been one of the better ACC teams this season.

The college season is a grind for 18-22 year olds, and look ahead games are quite common. I just think Clemson's second stringers may have been able to run the table in the ACC.

Yea they were bored this year, I just don't know how good they are.

@kal, wasn't the ACC a little better last season?
    I thought about that a bit but it wasn’t that significant.

Clemson has had an easy schedule the past 2 years, maybe more. That’s the point.

Not a knock on how good their team is, but just saying they have recently had the easiest path to the playoff.

Also, I think Illinois would have been one of the better ACC teams this season.
    I must be really underestimating the mediocrity of the ACC? Because my gut reaction is that this is cray. Just taking a quick look at Sagarin (not saying it's gospel but it ranks EVERY team) and it's got Illinois #77, three spots behind 5-7 Duke...

Turn Off Ads?