Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Re: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Its hard to get learn much from a drubbing that OSU put on Miami, but this team looks impressive. It has been noted that the Soph and JR classes right now were the #2 rated classes in the country and you can tell. This team just oozes talent. Just a couple of thoughts from the first quarter of the season.

-Fields is as advertised. I do wonder when he will completely open up his game, running more.

-Chase Young may be the best DE they have had. That is saying something considering they had 6 years of Bosa's.

-The DLine will be a handful when they are healthy.

-Chris Olave is the best pure WR they have had since Michael Thomas. Urban often went after the best athletes instead of a pure WR, Olave is a dominant player.

-Wisconsin will be the toughest team they play all year and may have to play them twice.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Curious how you guys feel about a UK QB who couldn’t beat out Terry Wilson starting for the Buckeyes?

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-s...tes-qb-battle/

For the record, I liked Hoak and would have liked to have seen what he could have done if Stoops and Eddie Gran would have had more confidence in him.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (09-23-2019)

Kentucky could use Hoak.

Will be interesting to see Ohio State face their first interesting test this weekend, but I think we have to wait until Wisconsin visits to really find out how good the Buckeyes are. (I'm personally not a big believer in Sparty this year; perhaps if that game was in East Lansing it would be more interesting).

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Kentucky could use Hoak.

Will be interesting to see Ohio State face their first interesting test this weekend, but I think we have to wait until Wisconsin visits to really find out how good the Buckeyes are. (I'm personally not a big believer in Sparty this year; perhaps if that game was in East Lansing it would be more interesting).
    I think UC would give Nebraska all they could handle. It’ll be interesting to see how they handle the environment since it’ll be loud at the beginning at least.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I said later that it was probably to light a fire under Fields. Just quoting what was out at the time but never said Hoak would be the starter, although he can’t be worse than what UK is running out.

Wake me up when Ohio State plays somebody.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I said later that it was probably to light a fire under Fields. Just quoting what was out at the time but never said Hoak would be the starter, although he can’t be worse than what UK is running out.

Wake me up when Ohio State plays somebody.
    Yeah, if you don’t think this is a great OSU team you ain’t paying attention. The defense is legit and Fields is fantastic and surrounded by elite talent.

Yeah, if you don’t think this is a great OSU team you ain’t paying attention. The defense is legit and Fields is fantastic and surrounded by elite talent.
    I’m not saying they aren’t, I’m saying I’ll reserve further judgment until they play someone other than FAU, Indiana, Cincinnati, or Miami Ohio.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I’m not saying they aren’t, I’m saying I’ll reserve further judgment until they play someone other than FAU, Indiana, Cincinnati, or Miami Ohio.
    Before they played UC everyone was saying they were a top 25 team, and now they are trash. If they run the B1G you and the typical OSU haters will say the B1G sucks. Same story different year.

11. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (09-24-2019)

I think Cincinnati is somewhat underrated because of what OSU did to them, they probably will be a top 25 team at some point this season.

How many teams have good wins at this point in the season? LSU over Texas looks pretty good and Georgia over ND is a quality win, but the rest is pretty blah. You can give Clemson a pat on the back for beating A&M, who is still ranked for some unknown reasons. SP+ has OSU ranked 2 with this to say

Two Big Ten teams made noteworthy moves in the updated rankings, and they did it in different ways. First, Ohio State absolutely humiliated Miami (Ohio), spotting the RedHawks five points and then scoring the next 76. Against a schedule that has featured no heavyweights but minimal dead weight -- Indiana currently ranks 32nd in SP+, Cincinnati ranks 59th, and FAU ranks 76th -- the Buckeyes are winning games by an average score of 54-9. They are the only team with a top-five offensive and defensive SP+ rating at the moment, and they are up to second overall, 2.5 adjusted points per game behind Alabama and 1.8 ahead of Clemson
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...hio-state-move
    I think this year's schedule was a plus for the team. They didn't have a big time out of conference game scheduled early. But they also get tough crossover games in Wisc, NW, and Nebraska. They don't have a doormat for the rest of the year sans Rutgers, but should be an overwhelming favorite in all of the games they have yet to play. I don't give a ton of credence to wins over teams pretty much ranked outside of the top 15. But the playoff committee tends to value that, or they use it to validate their decision to rank a team higher than expected. OSU will really only play one top 10 tier team this year, maybe two if PSU gets their act together, but they have a schedule that has a ton of quality.

Before they played UC everyone was saying they were a top 25 team
    Given that UC wasn't in the top 25 at that point, it's certainly not true that EVERYONE was calling UC a top 25 team.

The way OSU won that game certainly got my attention. They're obviously really good, so the only question is whether they're fringe top 5 fighting for a spot to get clobbered by Alabama or Clemson good, or if they're in the same tier as Alabama and Clemson. And that will be hard to judge before Wisconsin comes calling. You could say the same about Clemson (and we won't really know how good Clemson is until the playoffs start), but you get a little more slack as the defending national champs who murdered their two playoff opponents.

Given that UC wasn't in the top 25 at that point, it's certainly not true that EVERYONE was calling UC a top 25 team.

The way OSU won that game certainly got my attention. They're obviously really good, so the only question is whether they're fringe top 5 fighting for a spot to get clobbered by Alabama or Clemson good, or if they're in the same tier as Alabama and Clemson. And that will be hard to judge before Wisconsin comes calling. You could say the same about Clemson (and we won't really know how good Clemson is until the playoffs start), but you get a little more slack as the defending national champs who murdered their two playoff opponents.
    Yes, I meant literally everyone was saying it.

Yes, I meant literally everyone was saying it.
    Not even enough people to get them into the top 25 were saying it.

Not even enough people to get them into the top 25 were saying it.
    Yeah, and I am specifically not talking about them. But go off, bro. I don’t feel like getting into a debate about hyperbole today.

Yeah, and I am specifically not talking about them. But go off, bro. I don’t feel like getting into a debate about hyperbole today.
    I don't blame ya.

It does appear that Wisconsin and Ohio State are the class of the conference. Despite the weekend's outcome, I suspect Michigan will still be very good and a threat to beat anybody. Penn State has a lot of talent. Not convinced that they always deploy it well, but they're not an easy out, especially in Happy Valley (though Ohio State has them in Columbus this year).

I suspect Michigan State is the class of the rest, but that offense is painfully bad. The scheme is the primary issue, but I've never been convinced you can win consistently with Lewerke at the helm. Dantonio is a great example of too loyal. That offensive system needs new blood badly, yet all he was able to muster was shuffling some chairs. Love the guy and the way he goes about his business, but he's going to be out of a job if he doesn't can some of the offensive braintrust soon.

I think Maryland is fun, but I would be shocked if Locksley got that program up and running. He'll up the talent level, but if he's the same guy that was coaching at New Mexico State, it'll be a disaster in short order.

Turn Off Ads?