Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Re: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I must be really underestimating the mediocrity of the ACC? Because my gut reaction is that this is cray. Just taking a quick look at Sagarin (not saying it's gospel but it ranks EVERY team) and it's got Illinois #77, three spots behind 5-7 Duke...
    Illinois has by far the best win of anyone in this discussion, their win over Wisconsin trumps anything the ACC has done this season. I thought Syracuse was going to be a decent team until Maryland boat raced them early this season.

I think the ACC is a whole bunch of blah outside of Clemson. Blah programs, blah coaching, blah recruiting, just plain blah. I think if you look at Clemson's rise to prominence, it has been aided by an ACC where the traditional powers have been average at best. The ACC reminds me of the B1G during the Tressel years. You had one program, and other than that, you have a league just is so far behind everyone else. I mean the second best coach in the ACC is who? Mack Brown?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Illinois would not on any planet have been one of the best teams in the ACC this year. They're turrible. Wisconsin losing to them was mindboggling. Similar to Clemson almost losing to North Carolina.

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Illinois would not on any planet have been one of the best teams in the ACC this year. They're turrible. Wisconsin losing to them was mindboggling. Similar to Clemson almost losing to North Carolina.
    Georgia losing to South Carolina. Any given day.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

This is not enocuraging news if you're a Buckeye fan (and I am) ....

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/2...ot-100-percent

Quarterback Justin Fields estimated that his injured left knee is about 80 to 85 percent healthy four days before Ohio State faces Clemson in a College Football Playoff semifinal at the Fiesta Bowl.

“I definitely thought I would be closer to 100 percent,” Fields said Tuesday. “I’m just gonna hope and pray that I feel better by game day.”

Fields suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in the Buckeyes’ win over Penn State on Nov. 23 and aggravated it the following week at Michigan when he was hit in the pocket.

After that hit, Fields wore a bulkier brace on the knee for the rest of the game against the Wolverines, as well as for the Big Ten championship game against Wisconsin.

Though he did not describe his status as 100 percent during a session with reporters on Tuesday, Fields said he felt good enough that he planned to ditch the larger brace against the Tigers, opting for a smaller one that he first wore under his knee pads prior to the knee’s aggravation against the Wolverines.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Yeah was definitely hoping he’d be full strength, but as long as he’s at least around where he was for the Michigan game that should be fine. Just hope he doesn’t take any low hits.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yeah was definitely hoping he’d be full strength, but as long as he’s at least around where he was for the Michigan game that should be fine. Just hope he doesn’t take any low hits.
    We know these two offenses and what they are capable of. Which top 5 defense is going to make the difference in this game? Clemson did a helluva job reloading their defense after losing a lot to the NFL. But we now get to that point in the season where we look at team's schedule and who they faced off against. Who did they build that defense resume against?

I agree with this assessment by Aaron Murray. The Buckeye's defense has definitely been "battled "tested" ....

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/20...s-fiesta-bowl/

I also found this article on the match-up quite encouraging .... https://247sports.com/college/clemso...ne--140998350/

But both of these teams go into this game with a "chip on their shoulder" thinking they've been disrespected by the pundits this year, not given due recognition. Should provide for a helluva game.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-26-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

I do think it's pretty good news that he won't be wearing the larger of the knee braces. Should definitely help with his mobility.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-26-2019),GAC (12-27-2019)

80-85% will be better than the Michigan game at least. Small comfort.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I do think it's pretty good news that he won't be wearing the larger of the knee braces. Should definitely help with his mobility.
    I agree...but I want him 100%. The Bucks absolutely need the complete dual threat QB.

He's bluffing. Anything for an edge. I bet he is at 90-95%.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Ok, so i have thought, read, and listen to a lot about this game. A couple of my takeaways so far.

I don't see a whole lot of places where Clemson has an advantage over OSU. I will give them a slight advantage at QB if Fields knee limits him somewhat. If Fields knee if full go, think I think that matchup is a push. Lawrence is very dangerous, but I just wonder what Fields running ability does to an opposing D.

Clemson's WR's are better than what OSU has. I don't think the margain is as great as some are making it out to be. OSU doesn't have the star power right now that Higgins and Ross have, but it may not be too far off where the nation is talking about Wilson and Olave.

I think everywhere else it is a push or swings to OSU's advantage. The lines may be close, but Clemson is dealing with OSU's front 7 as opposed to Clemson's front 7.

I think OSU will run the ball, and make an effort to run the ball early. It wouldn't surprise me to see Fields in the zone read early in order to make Clemson honor that all game long.

Clemson's DLine is young, talented, and undersized. They have a great LB in Simmons, but I think they are limited after that.

I am very interested to see what Okudah, Arnette and Wade do to the Clemson WR's. I wonder if Clemson will pick on Arnette. Ross and Higgins are very good, but never have played against guys like what OSU runs at them.

I think Clemson is getting an advantage because they have been there before and because Dabo has done it before. That may be fair on certain levels, but I do think college football changes from year to year.

I think OSU has more elite talent and has better depth of talent while I do think experience can play a role in the game to benefit Clemson.

I think OSU will do their best to limit the deep ball and keep things in front of them. They are going to attempt to make Clemson drive, and if they are successful at that, its up to Chase and Co. on defense to get to Lawrence enough.

My two big keys for OSU are, can OSU's OLine play well and can Chase Young get to Lawrence enough to impact the game.

15. Likes:

GAC (12-27-2019),HeatherC1212 (12-27-2019),North (12-26-2019),Redsfaithful (12-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    He's bluffing. Anything for an edge. I bet he is at 90-95%.
    I was telling a buddy that yesterday. Never show your hand.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (12-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My two big keys for OSU are, can OSU's OLine play well and can Chase Young get to Lawrence enough to impact the game.
    I think the CFP wrecks havoc on defenses where their true colors are shown. Defensive coordinators aren't sleeping much this week trying to figure out how to slow down these top four team's offenses. It's going to be a challenge because every CFP season offenses dominate. You got two top 5 defenses facing off, yet I wouldn't be surprised to see 60-70 points scored in this one.

Clemson's smaller, yet fast, LBers worries me some when it comes to the running game. But I also don't see where Clemson has faced a defensive front (w/Young) all season either. As well as secondary.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I think the CFP wrecks havoc on defenses where their true colors are shown. Defensive coordinators aren't sleeping much this week trying to figure out how to slow down these top four team's offenses. It's going to be a challenge because every CFP season offenses dominate. You got two top 5 defenses facing off, yet I wouldn't be surprised to see 60-70 points scored in this one.

Clemson's smaller, yet fast, LBers worries me some when it comes to the running game. But I also don't see where Clemson has faced a defensive front (w/Young) all season either. As well as secondary.
    Well the thing is that Clemson's offense sputtered against A&M and UNC.

Couple of OSU assistant coaches moving on:

"Ohio State football’s passing coordinator Mike Yurcich hired as Texas’ next offensive coordinator
    Updated 9:12 PM;Today 8:57 PM"

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/1...ordinator.html

Turn Off Ads?