Re: 2019 Ohio State Buckeyes Football: It’s a New Day

There's a report that Kerry Coombs is coming back:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rt/4456484002/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Worst kept secret among all OSU fans. Coombs will be back whenever the Titans lose and he will start planting flags!

4. Likes:

BillDoran (01-14-2020),HeatherC1212 (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Worst kept secret among all OSU fans. Coombs will be back whenever the Titans lose and he will start planting flags!
    Yeah I’m pretty sure this is why Wade is coming back.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (01-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yeah I’m pretty sure this is why Wade is coming back.
    I think that helps. Wade is a top tier talent, but had a season that screamed second to third day draft pick. If he comes back and plays outside, or excels in the slot, he can play himself into a first rounder (or top 15 pick.)

The thing with Coombs is I think he is a fantastic DB coach and a great recruiter. I don't know how good of an overall defensive mind he is. He gets the co-coordinator title, but I don't know if he really is a co-coordinator. Maybe he is the Larry Johnson of DB's, fantastic and really good at his position, but do you want him calling plays?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

This is now confirmed and OSU is announcing it this afternoon. Big get for Day to replace Hafley.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    This is now confirmed and OSU is announcing it this afternoon. Big get for Day to replace Hafley.
    So now that Coombs is back he can start planting flags!

What I am interested to see is Coombs is coming back with the Co-DC title, but I wonder how much that is in name only or if he really will have a large say in the defense.

A lot of the reason Coombs left a couple of seasons ago is that he was passed up in being named (or promoted to) DC. But Mattison, who is 70, is in large part the DC. The defense they ran last year was his defense, but Hafley got a lot of credit for it. What happens when Mattison hangs it up or gets a little long in the tooth, does Coombs take over, or do they add someone else to be the play caller while Coombs keeps the co-DC title.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    So now that Coombs is back he can start planting flags!

What I am interested to see is Coombs is coming back with the Co-DC title, but I wonder how much that is in name only or if he really will have a large say in the defense.

A lot of the reason Coombs left a couple of seasons ago is that he was passed up in being named (or promoted to) DC. But Mattison, who is 70, is in large part the DC. The defense they ran last year was his defense, but Hafley got a lot of credit for it. What happens when Mattison hangs it up or gets a little long in the tooth, does Coombs take over, or do they add someone else to be the play caller while Coombs keeps the co-DC title.
    He is the co DC and also the highest paid assistant. I think he’s gonna be pretty involved.

Some words about this season's opponents:

How Ohio State football’s 2020 schedule looks after NFL Draft and transfer turnover
    Updated 3:23 PM; Today 2:10 PM

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2020/0...-turnover.html

appears former Ohio State football coach Zach Smith was sentenced to jail today....

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    appears former Ohio State football coach Zach Smith was sentenced to jail today....
    Not for domestic abuse, tho.

For those who actually care about facts and aren’t just SEC fans who desperately want OSU to look bad:

Delaware (Ohio) Municipal Court Judge Marianne Hemmeter on Friday sentenced Smith to 180 days in jail with 160 days suspended, including one day he was credited following his arrest in May. Smith, found guilty of a first-degree misdemeanor in December, also received three years probation, 40 hours of community service and must attend anger management training. He was taken into custody Friday.

Smith was arrested May 9 after getting into a confrontation with staff at an elementary school where he was trying to pick up his children. Smith was found to have violated a civil protection order because his ex-wife, Courtney Smith, who had obtained the order, was also present at the school.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 02-10-2020 at 07:19 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

^^^not an SEC fan, but wow....that is quite an inferior complex

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-12-2020)

^^^not an SEC fan, but wow....that is quite an inferior complex
    That’s cool that you are not and I’m sure there was no motive in your post.

But at least tell us what it was for next time...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That’s cool that you are not and I’m sure there was no motive in your post.

But at least tell us what it was for next time...
    I just saw it popping up on twitter, and had to do with a confrontation at school...then others claimed it had to do with his wife or ex-wife...really did not know the story. I was actually more interested in the fact the guy has a college football podcast or something. Honestly though, it does seem like Big10 fans have weird issues with the SEC more so than I hear from other fans. My team is in the Big12, and it does not bother me that the SEC is the dominant conference in college football.

18. Likes:

kaldaniels (02-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not for domestic abuse, tho.

For those who actually care about facts and aren’t just SEC fans who desperately want OSU to look bad:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp
    I am a huge Ohio State fan, but that ship has sailed. The way that situation was handled made everyone look bad. Just because you are a fan of a team, does not mean you have to make excuses for a woman beater.

I just saw it popping up on twitter, and had to do with a confrontation at school...then others claimed it had to do with his wife or ex-wife...really did not know the story. I was actually more interested in the fact the guy has a college football podcast or something. Honestly though, it does seem like Big10 fans have weird issues with the SEC more so than I hear from other fans. My team is in the Big12, and it does not bother me that the SEC is the dominant conference in college football.
    just wanted to be clear...was not being negative towards Ohio State....Ohio State could compete and win in the SEC with the teams they usually field, but I think they are one of 10ish schools out side the SEC that recruit and play at a similar level as the top 4-5 SEC teams. When things are good, teams like Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, FSU, USC, etc. have no reason to take a back seat to any SEC team....but it is just the combination of Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, etc. all recruiting at the highest levels and all in the same conference. I know many WVU fans want WVU to end up in the SEC, and I always wonder why? From a far, it does not appear South Carolina is having a blast playing football in the SEC.

Turn Off Ads?