Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bauer traded to Reds - part 2

Re: Bauer traded to Reds - part 2

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Or he figures it out sometime between now and next season, and turns in a standout season in 2020, leading the Reds to the playoffs.
    Lol with this roster? Nah.
    Not to mention, after this year, he will still only have one year in his career under a 4 ERA. He isn’t LEADING anyone to the playoffs. He’s a # 3 or 4 on an actual contender

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post
    Or just cut bait....

I say we flip him for prospects and then use the money saved to resign Puig.
    No.

Why would we flip him when his value is low like this? That's a great way to continue the cycle of losing seasons.

See the Chapman and even Duvall trades as reference points.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

4. Likes:

westofyou (08-25-2019)

With the way Trammell is going since the trade the Reds probably made the right call by not gambling on him rebuilding his value. I'm willing to concede that getting Bauer may have been ill advised, and perhaps we should've dealt with SD straight up. It's still early, but I would have liked to have gotten more that 1 year and some change of control on the return for Trammell.

6. Likes:

JFLegal (08-25-2019),Rece Tyler (08-25-2019)

Assuming we don't trade him this winter...

Trevor is making $13M this season. This winter he is once again Arbitration Eligible.

A. With the way he's been playing this guy couldn't possibly ask for a raise........Could he?

B. What's the absolute lowest the Reds are allowed to offer him for next year??

Bauer is hot garbage, not a good trade, at all (the intent, sure). Hope they come up with a plan b for next season and a way to dump him on someone else for a bag of peanuts.

9. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Bauer is hot garbage, not a good trade, at all (the intent, sure). Hope they come up with a plan b for next season and a way to dump him on someone else for a bag of peanuts.
    I wouldn't go that far.
    Trevor has proven to be an above average pitcher in the American League.
    He just hasn't seemed to have what it takes to play in the senior circuit.
    I say send him back to the league where he has proven himself and pickup a couple of prospects (of higher quality than Trammell) in return this winter.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    With the way Trammell is going since the trade the Reds probably made the right call by not gambling on him rebuilding his value. I'm willing to concede that getting Bauer may have been ill advised, and perhaps we should've dealt with SD straight up. It's still early, but I would have liked to have gotten more that 1 year and some change of control on the return for Trammell.
    You want MORE Bauer? Only reason I’d want to be on the hook for him any longer than we are is that it’d be easier to dump him and his magic beans on someone else.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Oops. Wrong target. And Williams had been doing ok. But he pooped the bed with this one.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Oops. Wrong target. And Williams had been doing ok. But he pooped the bed with this one.
    My feeling is that it was a Castellini dictated move, a “the losing stops now” type of mandate, and that Williams did the best he could with the situation. It definitely strikes me as being more of a shortsighted move they would’ve made in 2014/15 than what they had been doing the last year or so. And Bauer seems like an extremely Castellini type of guy, too.

14. Likes:

Redsfaithful (08-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    My feeling is that it was a Castellini dictated move, a “the losing stops now” type of mandate, and that Williams did the best he could with the situation. It definitely strikes me as being more of a shortsighted move they would’ve made in 2014/15 than what they had been doing the last year or so. And Bauer seems like an extremely Castellini type of guy, too.
    I seriously doubt Cast is telling Williams which players to target. And Bauer is just like all other pitchers Williams has targeted, strong peripherals, goes deep into games.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

16. Likes:

Big Klu (08-26-2019),REDREAD (08-30-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I seriously doubt Cast is telling Williams which players to target. And Bauer is just like all other pitchers Williams has targeted, strong peripherals, goes deep into games.
    I would absolutely not put it past Castellini to say “I really like this guy, we have to go get him. Make it happen.” We know he’s played favorites and vetoed trades for Reds players, I don’t see why he wouldn’t have his favorites on other teams as well.

Not to mention Bauer’s name was extremely prominent in trade rumors going back to last offseason, I’m sure Castellini follows that kind of stuff too, so all it really would’ve taken is that Castellini demand that we are absolutely going to be a winner next season no matter what it takes, sees a name like Bauer floating around out there, and then says “we need this guy.”
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 08-25-2019 at 05:09 PM.

18. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-25-2019),Redsfaithful (08-26-2019)

The Reds need a ton of talent if they want to contend next season. 3 or 4 relievers. A bat or two. A pitcher better than Bauer. Hoping for a possible turnaround from an 18 million dollar player is just not in the budget

20. Likes:

REDREAD (08-30-2019)

With everything we've learned about that man, you really wouldn't put it past Castellini to order Dick/Nick to get a trade for a certain player done? You read Walt Jocketty's quote about him, right? And Jocketty was Bob's hand picked guy.

He refused to let them move Billy Hamilton when his value was probably at its zenith and they wound up having to non tender him after he turned in a historically bad season.

Bob Castellini is probably the biggest problem with this organization. He's the disease, everything else is just symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    With everything we've learned about that man, you really wouldn't put t past Castellini to order Dick/Nick to get a trade for a certain player done?

He refused to let them move Billy Hamilton when his value was probably at its zenith and they wound up having to non tender him.

Bob Castellini is probably the biggest problem with this organization. He's the disease, everything else is just symptoms.
    Cast has made decisions to keep or trade players based on economics, not on who he likes personally. Hamilton was a fan favorite, who the Reds marketed like crazy. Chapman was a PR nightmare.

And considering that Bauer was likely to be suspended by the Tribe if he wasn’t traded, he seems like the opposite kind Of player that Cast likes.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Cast has made decisions to keep or trade players based on economics, not on who he likes personally. Hamilton was a fan favorite, who the Reds marketed like crazy. Chapman was a PR nightmare.

And considering that Bauer was likely to be suspended by the Tribe if he wasn’t traded, he seems like the opposite kind Of player that Cast likes.
    I'm not saying he DID order the trade, I'm just saying that I absolutely wouldn't put it past him. He's a meddling owner.

Maybe he never even gave them a target but said "GET ME A STARTER FOR A PLAYOFF RUN NEXT YEAR" and Bauer was the guy Dick and Nick liked.

I've got no idea, but Bob's not getting any sort of benefit of the doubt from me.

- - - Updated - - -

In any event, the whole "non tender" and "cut bait" talk about Bauer is kinda ridiculous.

Unless he's injured he won't be this bad forever. They went out and got him, now they need to get the ship righted.

Turn Off Ads?