Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Month of Marty

Month of Marty

Tuesday Sept. 24th: Oversized replica ticket from Marty's first Reds broadcast on April 4, 1974 to the first 20,000 fans

Wednesday, Sept. 25th: Commemorative Marty Brennaman print to the first 20,000 fans, presented by Clark Schaefer Hackett.
    Marty's son Thom Brennaman will join him in the radio booth for a special broadcast of the game.

Thursday, Sept. 26th: Reds handheld radio with earbuds to the first 20,000 fans, presented by Kroger and Laura's Lean Beef. Fans will be able to tune to 94.5 FM from their seats in the ballpark to listen to Marty's farewell call!

Pregame ceremonies will honor Marty's 46-year career with the Reds, including messages from former Reds players, fellow broadcasters and other celebrities.

After the game, all fans in attendance will be invited on the field for a special "Marty Party," featuring Marty on stage with Jim Day at the pitcher's mound.

For three games in September, Marty will appear at a temporary radio booth at Gapper's Alley directly behind section 119, including a full game broadcast on Friday, September 20. This will be a unique experience for fans to see the Hall of Fame in action live!

Game Broadcast: Friday, Sept. 20
    Pregame Broadcast: Tuesday, Sept. 24
    Pregame Broadcast: Wednesday, Sept. 25

2. Likes:

757690 (08-16-2019),BluegrassRedleg (08-16-2019),cumberlandreds (08-20-2019),NC Reds (08-17-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Month of Marty

Say what you want about Marty, but it's going to be an emotional time surrounding those final broadcasts. For many of us, Marty retiring is another nail in the coffin of our childhoods.

I'm going to miss him tremendously.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

5. Likes:

64red (09-20-2019),919191 (08-21-2019),Always Red (08-17-2019),bounty37h (08-18-2019),CrackerJack (08-16-2019),cumberlandreds (08-20-2019),DaytonFlyer (08-22-2019),GAC (09-21-2019),Kiko (08-17-2019),NC Reds (08-17-2019),Norm Chortleton (08-16-2019),Old school 1983 (08-16-2019),Powder River (08-17-2019),Rantly (08-16-2019),RedsFanInMS (08-18-2019),Saven (08-18-2019),SunDeck (08-18-2019),Todd Gack (08-18-2019)

Classy send off for a Cincinnati institution. Loving the old school radio giveaway. Perfect for Marty.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

7. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-16-2019)

The radio giveaway is pretty cool. And despite my dislike for Thom's broadcasting skills, that's nice that he and his dad will broadcast together.

9. Likes:

Powder River (08-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Say what you want about Marty, but it's going to be an emotional time surrounding those final broadcasts. For many of us, Marty retiring is another nail in the coffin of our childhoods.

I'm going to miss him tremendously.
    Agreed, I am not a big fan of Marty, but still he deserves every bit of recognition.

11. Likes:

Chip R (08-18-2019)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

For the first time I am fine with honouring Marty, for retiring.

About 40 years too late, but better late then never.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (09-26-2019)

Worth The Wait

It’s interesting that Marty did not reach the level of reverence with his fanbase that almost any other announcer in any sport with a similar tenure did. He will certainly get a warm reception on these days and it will certainly be deserved, but I also think there is a level of awkwardness too. Kind of odd.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    For the first time I am fine with honouring Marty, for retiring.

About 40 years too late, but better late then never.
    Disagree strongly about your last statement. IMO, maybe 5-10 years too late.
    Last edited by Rantly; 08-16-2019 at 06:42 PM.

16. Likes:

Rolando (08-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    It’s interesting that Marty did not reach the level of reverence with his fanbase that almost any other announcer in any sport with a similar tenure did. He will certainly get a warm reception on these days and it will certainly be deserved, but I also think there is a level of awkwardness too. Kind of odd.
    I think his problem is he's too opinionated and a lot of times in the wrong time and place
    Crazy Reds Fan

18. Likes:

REDREAD (09-26-2019)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Classy send off for a Cincinnati institution. Loving the old school radio giveaway. Perfect for Marty.
    That was a really cool idea.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

20. Likes:

North (08-16-2019)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I think you may be letting the social media/message board era skew your viewpoint on that one. Marty IS revered by this fan base as a whole because he's one of the best who's ever done this.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

22. Likes:

bounty37h (08-18-2019),foster15 (08-16-2019),Kiko (08-17-2019),Norm Chortleton (08-18-2019)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I think you may be letting the social media/message board era skew your viewpoint on that one. Marty IS revered by this fan base as a whole because he's one of the best who's ever done this.
    Maybe, but Ernie Harwell and Vin Scully and a few others also said farewell when message boards and such were around and I don’t think those guys had anywhere near the same number of detractors. I think the difference in those guys and Marry is that they never allowed any cynicism or grumpiness set in over the years. I think pretty much anyone can see that technically Marty is about as good as anyone ever— the ease with which he calls the action is pretty remarkable. But there were times as he got older where you really had to wonder if he even wanted to be there that day/night. It wasn’t just being opinionated— it seemed certain things bothered him or annoyed him so much that he felt airing those grievances took precedence over desrcibing the action. The beauty of Scully or Harwell is that their demeanor and joy never wavered. Now; maybe they were “acting” sometimes; but for me, that’s part of the gig.

Anyway, didn’t mean to derail this into another bash Marty thing... and for the record, I DO believe he was excellent at his craft and deserving of these honors. And he is undoubtedly a Cincy/Reds legend.

24. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-19-2019),dfs (08-17-2019),Ron Madden (08-16-2019),wally post (08-17-2019)

Maybe, but Ernie Harwell and Vin Scully and a few others also said farewell when message boards and such were around and I don’t think those guys had anywhere near the same number of detractors. I think the difference in those guys and Marry is that they never allowed any cynicism or grumpiness set in over the years. I think pretty much anyone can see that technically Marty is about as good as anyone ever— the ease with which he calls the action is pretty remarkable. But there were times as he got older where you really had to wonder if he even wanted to be there that day/night. It wasn’t just being opinionated— it seemed certain things bothered him or annoyed him so much that he felt airing those grievances took precedence over desrcibing the action. The beauty of Scully or Harwell is that their demeanor and joy never wavered. Now; maybe they were “acting” sometimes; but for me, that’s part of the gig.

Anyway, didn’t mean to derail this into another bash Marty thing... and for the record, I DO believe he was excellent at his craft and deserving of these honors. And he is undoubtedly a Cincy/Reds legend.
    Good post.

26. Likes:

Powder River (08-17-2019),Ron Madden (08-16-2019)

A really fitting farewell for Marty would be for the Cubs to invite him to sing during the seventh-inning stretch when the Reds last visit Chicago next month.
    Can you imagine the hype that would generate? Question: Would the boos outnumber the cheers?

Im 35, so I feel like I skew towards the younger end on this board. Marty is viewed more as a living legend to folks my age and younger. Hes a guy who was around when teams Ive only read about were playing.

As a Kentuckian, you're going to have a hard time naming guys better than Cawood Ledford on the call. Marty isnt Cawood, but hes certainly one of the great ones. I appreciate him offering his own opinions and not towing the company line.

29. Likes:

NC Reds (08-17-2019),Saven (08-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?